Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > The Basics

Old January 23rd, 2003, 09:53
Contrarian Moderator

Some of the surplus pull-down bullets I purchased have "grip" marks and cut marks on them. Was wondering if those are toast or if they can be safely reloaded.

Thanks.
Tim

Old January 23rd, 2003, 11:52
ssgt

Pulled surplus bullets generally work well,even with pull marks.Thay arent exactly match grade bullets to begin with so a few scuffs and scrapes wont matter much. Within reason of course!A problem you will run into with bullets pulled with a impact puller is bent tips....now THAT will cause problems!Something I do with surplus bullets,in my case,.308, is if I run across one that looks a little worse than it should,I run it thru a Lee .308 cast bullet sizing die with a shot of WD-40 ...generally brings it to an acceptable level.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 11:54
Grouchy Moderator

It depends.
Thin jacketed bullets: NO
Out of round bullets: NO
Burrs that stick out: NO
Slight dents in thick jacketed bullets: YES
Large marks in relation to bullet size:NO
Dents on the driving band of the bullet: maybe but not good.
Dents on the curved nose: YES
Bent bullets: NO
It really depends is the answer dents that would ruin a .224 or .308 cal. bullet may be fine on a .50 cal.

More info on the bullet type and some pics if possible would help.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 21:41

I suppose, Tim W, that you have purchased ex-mil bullets for reloading and use for target/plinking etc?. The supply firm have probably used a quick type of collet-puller and then they sold the brass and powder separately after buying in bulk mil-surp for bargain prices at auction/tender from Govn't. [Very lucrative for them and lucky for you maybe!]

Myself- I buy the milsurp from my bulk supplier (7.62x39 "SKS" for my .303BR SMLE mainly)then I use a Quinectics(?spelling?)inertia-puller (hammer-type)with a good tapered bullet-trap. This stops any damage to FMJs. But civillian lead tips need a bit of tissue paper as well, to stop marking and blunting. [It is a hassel, but worth it as Sierra bullets are up to 50C AUD each here.]

I would give your projectiles a good 1hr tumble in green corn-cob Lyman media and then examine and reject any as neccessary -as per stmrdr's wise words above.

Do make sure that the bullets are weighed to comfirm the ballistics you are using.

But cheer up- your's do not sound too bad from your post.
Maybe IMHO it sometimes pays to remember cosmetics are rarely practically needed downrange! [Just look at a fired bullet from the butts/berm/beast and see what a mess they look like.......]

Have fun, carefully- BB
There is no Spring without Winter, without Mistakes there is no Learning. There is no Life without Death, without Doubts there is no Faith. There is no Peace without War, without Fear there is no Courage. For without Mistakes, Doubts and Fears there are no pathways to Wisdom.
Ron Owen.
Old January 26th, 2003, 17:06
Dick W. Holliday

if you're like me, that gong or clump of dirt or TV or washing machine will never know.....but if i'm shooting a match, probably not.
Old December 29th, 2014, 00:42
Executive Member

Default Re: using pulled surplus bullets

I had a bunch of Century no-fire 308 from over 10 years back and had to pull the bullets and they worked ok on new brass I reloaded.
I have a Right to my Life; I have a Right to the Fruits of my Labor. If you concede the principle of the Income Tax, you concede the principle that the government owns ALL your income and permits you to keep a certain percentage of it.
─Ron Paul, interview by Time on Sep 17, 2009.