Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > The Basics

Old January 12th, 2015, 02:37

Icon30 3" mag shotgun WWA wads- where do ya get em?

HI shot-gunners - I am trying to get some tapered/compression formed Winchester-type 3" Mag shotgun wads for reloading purposes.

I have tried 'Precision Reloading Supplies' in USA, but they are tardy with the postage needed to add before dispatch to Aus. [I fear they are worried about exporting them under Fed Regs. But it's OK if they arrive here, as I only need a (free) B209A for their release if impounded as being "ammunition components" by our Feds.

No large capacity 12GA [or any other calibre] shotgun wads are now available in Aus. Seems "there is no demand"......or so the dealers say...

Even the WWA12 1.25oz wads have now been discontinued - while 3/4 oz and 1oz are freely available for trap-shooting.

No 3" Mag 1&5/8oz loaded rounds are regularly available either. When they occaisionally come onto the market, they are in very large shot-sizes with Greytex & copper-plated shot - but totally unsuitable for my needs.

In the past I have broken open the seal on these shells and substitute my own smaller shot for long-range pest-shooting. But I am now down to my last packet of Winchesters made in the USA. Thus re-loading the used hulls/cases seem to be my only option for use in my Akkar-3.

Anyone on A/Web have any ideas I can follow up?

Any info gratefully received.

BB
There is no Spring without Winter, without Mistakes there is no Learning. There is no Life without Death, without Doubts there is no Faith. There is no Peace without War, without Fear there is no Courage. For without Mistakes, Doubts and Fears there are no pathways to Wisdom.
Ron Owen.
Old January 12th, 2015, 16:03

Angry Re: 3" mag shotgun WWA wads- where do ya get em?

"Suzin G" from PRS has at last got back to me after my further enquiry and e-mail prompt from acceptance of my order on 12/24/14.

They have quoted me $70.00 freight for 200 3" plastic wads to Aus.

Clearly this is un-economic at 35c per wad for re-loading purposes....

(An un-welcome overseas order perhaps?)
There is no Spring without Winter, without Mistakes there is no Learning. There is no Life without Death, without Doubts there is no Faith. There is no Peace without War, without Fear there is no Courage. For without Mistakes, Doubts and Fears there are no pathways to Wisdom.
Ron Owen.
Old January 12th, 2015, 16:53
Contributor
Moderator Token Forum Zombie

Default Re: 3" mag shotgun WWA wads- where do ya get em?

That seems extremely expensive for shipping something so light in weight! Is Australia by chance charging some kind of import "sin tax" because the wads are a gun related product?

Maybe I or someone here in the US could purchase them and ship them to you incognito. Try to find out the reason for the high price of shipping. If what I said above is the case I'd be willing to try to get them to you cheaper.

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.
Old January 12th, 2015, 18:57
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

I can't feature them costing that much to ship.

I sent four license plates to Spiker in New Zealand a few years ago, and it only cost me like $20 for the postage. I figure they would have gone around a pound and a half with packaging. I can't see a bag of shotgun wads being notably heavier than that.
Old January 12th, 2015, 20:10
Executive Member

BB,

See this link to MidWay USA http://www.midwayusa.com/product/260...ProductFinding

This seems to have replaced the WWA12 2 3/4" so there might be a similar replacement for the 3" size as well.
AC0XV
Old January 14th, 2015, 00:35

Icon44 Re: 3" mag shotgun WWA wads- where do ya get em?

Thanks for those ideas and helpful comments. Much appreciated.

I think it may be the bulk/volume of the wads, rather than the weight being charged for?

I am still after Claybuster/Harvester CB11383 3"wads, replacing the Winchester tapered case WAA12R for 1-1/2 oz optimum load -and heavier. Or the direct equivalent.

Our local and interstate dealers all say they have no Winchster-type tapered wads available now, except for Winch 1oz and 3/4oz trap-wads in stock in the capital cities. They have no idea when the 1-1/8oz - [let alone the 1-1/4oz WAA12 F114!] - will be in stock again. (Depressing... we have such a small market and thus prices are x3 compared with USA, that is -when you can get what you need...!)

BTW - the BPI "multi-metal" is a straight-walled wad and does not fit the tapered compression formed Winchester case/hull = creates duds. Also, no buffer in them = no good.

I have recently tried 'MidSouth Shooters Supplies' and Sandra from there has quoted "around $60" for freight of 200 wads to Oz. Again un-economic - but they do have in stock the right wad that I need. It is blood-red in colour and I would love to have some.....

So I am sorry to be a bother, but I am inclined to take up Reb up on his generous offer of a private shipment. I will be very grateful for help in this parlous situation.

Reb - I can pay the freight (double x2 remember - to you from the supplier and then to me in Oz ) and then added is the approx $10.00 USD for the 3"wads. I can pay in advance by any method you may require (PayPal, MasterCard, etc., etc).

The last time this happened to me was around 10 years ago. I needed a neoprene protective cover for my Eotech holo-sight on my Rem '7600' (@ just $14.00). My order was refused by two major US outfitters under new Fed anti-terror legislation- or so they said.

But a kind US gentleman from A/Web helped me get one via letter-post. He requested a boomerang as "dust-collector" for his den - rather than the full $ refund offered...[OK - no problem at all, I also sent a 12 photo folder-postcard of the NSW Far North Coast as well. He loved both of them!]

Probably it's prudent to specify "small plastic items value $10.00" or some other such description on the Customs Declaration, as anything else Like "magnum" may over-excite our brave boys and so delay the item's delivery this end.
But if that does happen, I will easily get a clearance-form this end, as it could be considered an import of 'ammunition components' under our Federal laws - [But it's no big deal - I've done it before with 10lb of NPL shot from Roto-Metals in USA - very recently.]

Here's hoping for a "white night" to come to my rescue.

[I will now dream of those clever crows - they won't know what hit 'em!]

BB
Ron Owen.
Old January 21st, 2015, 00:52
Contributor
Moderator Token Forum Zombie

BB,
You have a PM.

I found what I think is the correct wad CB1138 (red in color) at a $9.00 for 500.

http://www.gamaliel.com/claybusterwa...raa12r_red.asp

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.