Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > The Basics

Old April 20th, 2013, 22:10

Default Casting your own bullets

I'm just getting into reloading and thinking about casting my own bullets. Just wondering if any of you cast your own and have any tips, tricks or words of advice you would like to share with a rookie. Thanks.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 22:51
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Default Re: Casting your own bullets

The only thing I've ever cast for was black powder revolvers, but one thing that I learned from that is that it's a good idea to have a sizing die for them if you are doing anything other than round balls.

Or, that at least applies to my mold.

If the outside diameter is bit out of round or there is any parting line residue where the die comes open, you wind up tossing little lead shavings all over the place when you fire it.

That wouldn't apply to cartridge loads in anything but a revolver, but I can't see the additional drag in some places and not in others doing your accuracy any good.

Weight consistency is a challenge, too. Granted, my molding dies are not the best in the world, but even with a good one, it will probably be something that you weigh the bullets out and either sort by grain weight or recast the ones that don't meet your weight standard. I was having trouble holding within about plus or minus 3 grains.

For playing with a BP revolver, that don't matter, but if I were trying to load for accuracy, it'd be a fair issue.

And that's all I know about it. I know someone who casts all his own and moly-coats them. I'm going to have to track him down and pick his brain one of these days.

Old April 26th, 2013, 06:39
Contributor

Been casting my own for years. Getting harder to find good cheap lead unfortunately due to the Fed EPA regs. Can't just go down to your local tire store for a 5 gallong bucket of wheel weights anymore.

The one thing I will say is do not skimp on good safety equipment. For me this includes full face shield, dust mask, and heavy leather gloves and long sleeves when doing it.

Would also suggest getting Lymans excellent book on casting FIRST!
Old May 14th, 2013, 14:13
Executive Member

Wear gloves and be sure to have a good ventilation system going. I always had a fen going blowing fumes away from me and also did my casting outside. Probably overdid it but there's been so much hullabaloo about the dangers of lead that I ain't taking chances!
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:06

Haven't had a chance to get back here for a while but want to say thanks for the tips. I bought some 180 grain gas check bullets from a guy at the range and will work on some load data just to see what kind of groups I can get. Thinking of using BLC-2 powder because I want to save my Varget for the 175 gr. SMK's.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 23:33
Contributor

Just remimber to keep the speed down. Even 'gas checked', is not equal to jacketed. An OLD reloader once told me something I still remimber. He said, "The faster you push it, the more lead in the barrel you have to clean."! It is one of the truest sentences I have found with loading bullets I cast. These run from pure lead (my muzzle loaders), to wheel weights (pistol ammo) and finally linotype (rifle bullets).