Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Pistols and Revolvers

Old January 28th, 2017, 05:34 PM
Executive Member

Default AMMO WARNING: Perfecto .38 spl....

So I made it to the indoor range today with my LCR. I brought with me 100 rounds of Perfecto 158 grain FMJ .38 SPL and 100 rounds of Remington +P 125 grain HP 38 SPL.

I figured I'd start off with the standard cheaper ammo. Being that this ammo is sold at Wal-Mart at deep discount ($14 bucks per box of 50, which is cheap for .38 special), I was worried that it would be loaded light. As most of us have experienced, cheap ammo is often weak ammo. I loaded it up and fired the gun. Let's just say that this experience taught me not to grip the revolver too tightly..... Sometimes loose is better. I would end my 100 round shooting spree, shooting one handed with a cowboy style grip.

The stuff doesn't say +P but kicks like a mule. I thought it was just the lightweight LCR, so I plowed through the 100 rounds of Perfecto before switching to the +P Remington. I have admit that by that point my hand was sore and I dreaded the thought of what +P must feel like. If cheap standard ammo felt hotter than my .357, then what would +P ammo feel like? Well.... ah it felt great actually. The +P rounds were mild in comparison to the old Perfecto ammo. Perfecto, let's just say, is loaded hot.

Perfecto seemed to kick about twice as hard as Remington +P. The stuff felt like I was using a jack hammer. I'm not sure why an FMJ target round was loaded so hot, but it is. The Remington felt nice and smooth in comparison. After shooting 100 rounds of Perfecto though, I still called it quits after 50 rounds of Remington, because I'd had enough.

In terms of accuracy, I can't say. I know that I started to flinch at some point when using the Perfecto and this definitely influenced my accuracy. My groups were much tighter with the Remington, even with speed fire drills. But I think that was just shooter error, caused admittedly by the steep recoil of the Perfecto.

Now I actually stopped at Wal-Mart on my way home and bought another box of it. I want to try it out in my Vaquero. The Vaquero weighs two and a half times as much as the LCR, has a 5.5" barrel and is SAO. I think it will shoot great in the Vaquero. But in the LCR, I can't recommend this round.... Still though if you want a cheap hot .38 FMJ, then Perfecto is what you want. It might make a good "5th" round to let you know that the gun is empty.
How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).
Old January 28th, 2017, 06:33 PM
Executive Member

Icon18 Re: AMMO WARNING: Perfecto .38 spl....

I could see some applications for it...yes,we all want expanding/HP/SP in a self defense situation-generally...OTOH,there's definitely times when penetration,weight retention and the ability to go THROUGH things are assets.
Old January 28th, 2017, 08:33 PM
Executive Member

Default Re: AMMO WARNING: Perfecto .38 spl....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
I could see some applications for it...yes,we all want expanding/HP/SP in a self defense situation-generally...OTOH,there's definitely times when penetration,weight retention and the ability to go THROUGH things are assets.
Yeah my best guess is that this ammo, which is made in Italy, was traditionally sold to armies in Latin America and/or Africa, where at least some people are still issued Model 10s, or were until recently. They probably wanted the hardest hitting .38 special FMJ that they could get. And in a Model 10 with a 4" or 5" barrel, it probably shoots great. But in a snub nose revolver.... eh not so much.

But hey this is Assaultweb, where we love all forms of antiquated militaria, so this ammo might be of interest to members, especially if you have a Model 10.
How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).
Old January 28th, 2017, 10:52 PM
Executive Member

I buy Speer, Federal, Remington, IMI and Russian 7.62x39, this no guarantee of anything anymore but hopefully the odds are within my favor. Seen too much third world crap over the years under recall, destroying firearms, causing malfunctions.
Old January 29th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballmagnet View Post
I buy Speer, Federal, Remington, IMI and Russian 7.62x39, this no guarantee of anything anymore but hopefully the odds are within my favor. Seen too much third world crap over the years under recall, destroying firearms, causing malfunctions.
Yeah it's definitely being regulated to the Vaquero in the future, which can handle the higher pressure.
Old January 29th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Executive Member

As a rule, I stick to only the big name brands - Remington, Hornady, Winchester, Speer, Federal, and sometimes Sellier & Bellot or PPU or one of the other well-known foreign brands. To my mind, the risk to the gun, or to life and limb, just isn't worth the buck or two to try out some "boutique" brand.

A case in point. I have a Rossi .357 Magnum revolver, and it so happened that a friend's wife was considering a defensive pistol and saw one on line and took a liking to it. I loaned him mine so that she could try it out. He took his wife to an indoor range, where they sold him some "house" brand of reloaded .357. When he returned the revolver he said that she didn't like it at all, as it hurt her hand and also would "lock up" after three or four rounds. (I had never experienced any such "locking up" issue.)

After getting the gun home and checking it out, I could see that there were scrapes from primers that had backed out of the cases from about the 8:00 to 11:00 position on the recoil shield when looking at it from the front. No wonder it was hurting her hand!

But the counter guy at the range told him that it was really good defensive ammo.

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.
Old January 29th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Executive Member

Don't know if its true, but read on the internet that it's made by Fiocchi. One youtuber chronographed it averaging between 819-850 fps, which is pretty darn hot for .38 special 158 grain. I don't like the kick of it, in a small gun. I'm going to stick with fast and light for the LCR. Fast and heavy is not good for me.

Last edited by Southern Shark; January 29th, 2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:21 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

My local Wally-World carries the Perfecta ammo. I don't generally shoot .38 Special, but if it's that hot, I am sorely tempted to pick up a box or so of it to try out in the .357's.

I've been loading my light range ammo for the .357 about 950FPS, which is mild, but not horribly so. If it's running in the middle 800's, I'd probably be able to get close to 1000 out of it with the 6" GP-100. All the .357 brands run close to 200 FPS faster in the long barrel, so it's probably worth a shot.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 11:15 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferson101 View Post
My local Wally-World carries the Perfecta ammo. I don't generally shoot .38 Special, but if it's that hot, I am sorely tempted to pick up a box or so of it to try out in the .357's.

I've been loading my light range ammo for the .357 about 950FPS, which is mild, but not horribly so. If it's running in the middle 800's, I'd probably be able to get close to 1000 out of it with the 6" GP-100. All the .357 brands run close to 200 FPS faster in the long barrel, so it's probably worth a shot.
Might as well try it, it's cheap.

Not sure if you will hit 1000 fps or not, it's heavy stuff at 158 grains, but if you chrono it, I'd like to hear the results.
Old February 15th, 2017, 07:28 AM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Shark View Post
Might as well try it, it's cheap.

Not sure if you will hit 1000 fps or not, it's heavy stuff at 158 grains, but if you chrono it, I'd like to hear the results.
The next time the usual suspects get the chrono set up, a box of that has been acquired and will be tested.

Probably won't be this week, due to work schedules, but maybe next.
Old March 24th, 2017, 10:27 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferson101 View Post
The next time the usual suspects get the chrono set up, a box of that has been acquired and will be tested.

Probably won't be this week, due to work schedules, but maybe next.
You ever test this?

I bring this back up because I bought another box of it from a different Wal-Mart... and hmmm didn't kick nearly as hard. I bought more to shoot in my Vaquero, knowing it could handle it. But I ran 15 or so through my LCR and it didn't feel nearly as bad as the first two batches.

I wonder if the first two boxes I bought were actually +P mislabeled.

Which would certainly make my ammo warning relevant...
Old March 26th, 2017, 07:46 AM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Between weekend work and the weather, we haven't had the chrono set up lately. What shooting I've been managing to get in has been what time I can grab, usually an hour or so here and there.

We typically set the Chrono up when we have an afternoon to expend while messing with it.