Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > AR and M Series

Old May 11th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Executive Member

Icon36 AR pistol

Anyone have an AR pistol ? I'm thinking about getting into a 10.5" barrel , skeletonized
forarrm with one of those Shockwave braces. What do you think ?
"Then out spoke brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate. To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods"
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:10 PM
Executive Member

Default Re: AR pistol

I have a 10.5" AR pistol in 9mm that uses the Glock magazines and I have the Shockwave brace mounted on it. I like it. Light weight, maneuverable, and more accurate than a handgun. Use if for a 'house' gun. Might build another for a 'truck' gun.
AC0XV
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:40 PM
Executive Member

I have a SBR 7.5" AR. It looks just like a pistol with a ShockWave brace on it.
Extremely maneuverable. You will LOVE how compact it is. Small size and heavy firepower.

Make sure to get the dimpled shock wave buffer tube and learn HOW the pin (allen screw) falls into the dimples instead of just marring up the pistol buffer tube.

BISHOP
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:56 PM
Executive Member

Icon36 Re: AR pistol

Yes, getting the dimple buffer tube. Going to build the gun from parts, I like the "infiltrator" upper from outdoor usa . Any thoughts ?
What sort of muzzel brake is efficient ?
"Then out spoke brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate. To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods"
Old May 12th, 2017, 09:59 PM
Executive Member

I have all the parts but have not assembled. Not in any rush since I see no practical purpose for it (nor the 10.5" SBR I did which was also on a 'when I get around to it' list of stuff to do).

Sorry - not at all helpful

I will say this much - I made a flash can for my SBR (think flaming pig) and even with that it's a real flame thrower. And although I have no way to accurately measure, I'd swear it is considerably louder than a typical 16". The flash can helped with that a little but still seems louder.

I like the Glock mag 9mm idea. I should have done that instead...

-- Benjamin Franklin
Old May 12th, 2017, 11:26 PM
Executive Member

Never even fired one, would be interesting I'd think. What sort of performance can you get with a 10" barrel? Heavier bullets better?
Old May 13th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Executive Member

Will depend on caliber. With a pistol caliber you get better performance. For example a Beretta 92FS 4.875" barrel 9mm with 147gn Federal Hydra-Shok runs approx. 989fps; a 10" barrel runs approx. 1067fps. However 5.56/.223 will decrease with the shorter barrels. For example a 16" AR will run approx. 2943fps with 55gn fmj, a 10" AR will run approx. 2616fps with the same 55gn round.

For more information see; http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html
AC0XV
Old May 13th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Executive Member

Okay I'm now looking at 9mm AR pistols at PSA . The uppers and lowers I like are temporary sold out, I guess everyone had the same idea as me .
Old May 14th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Executive Member

Depending on that you are looking at and design, the standard Ar 9mm upper is the same as a standard upper.

I built a 9mm Ar a couple years ago. I just built an upper and bought a Spikes drop-in mag block.
Spikes is THE way to go because it just slides in from the bottom and then tightens. And its all adjustable, none of the other are.

I got a ramped 9mm bolt, the correct hammer (which I then had to grind down the very rear or the hook) KNS anti-rotation pins, and a complete AR upper. If you want that "9mm" look you can buy the 1/2 dust cover and ejection door "scoop" or deflector.

I had mine just as a conversion kit. I could go from shooting .223 to 9mm in 30 seconds.
Later I built a pistol lower for it.

I don't know about comps for the end. I enjoy the fire and BOOM from my SBR .223. Also the smaller barreled gun KICKS like a mule.

BISHOP
Old May 15th, 2017, 11:43 PM
Executive Member

I just bought an AR pistol, since I reload I settled on the 300 Blackout with an 8 inch barrel. I like the idea of being able to shoot heavy subsonics 240 gr for 30 rounds of 30 cal. 45acp energy wise and then up it to supersonics 125 gr on par with the old 30 30 or a short AK.

I decided to go the compact route and non-sbr so no tax stamp or other hassles. Adding a law tactical folding buffer and a Sig brace so it is essentially a folding stock.

Maybe someday if I move to a free state, I will get a suppressor and go the whole hog.

Heck with a suppressor and subsonics it would make a sweet home defense gun and with supersonics a nice backpacking or truck gun.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. - KJV 2 Cor 3:17

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. - MLK

Molon Labe

Hate is no substitute for love, nor passion truth.
Old May 16th, 2017, 12:43 AM
Executive Member

I put myself on Palmetto States list to be emailed when the pistol I want is back in stock, just have to wait and hope to get an order in before it's sold out again.
I have considered doing an 80% lower, there is a company called Torkmag bringing out a glock mag block in July.

Last edited by ironlung; May 16th, 2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Executive Member

Daily deal from PSA. Complete AR pistol lower for Glock mags.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-g...=12%3a00+Email

BISHOP
Old May 18th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Executive Member

Bishop, that has a rifle buttstock, would it be legal to convert to a pistol with a pistol buffer tube ? I say that cause I think my ffl would register it as a rifle.
They have instock stripped glock receivers also. If the lower I want is still out of stock at the end of this month I can go that route.

Last edited by ironlung; May 18th, 2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old May 18th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Executive Member

Yeah you're right, no you can't.

They would ship this with the stock, your dealer would see that and mark on the Form and transfer it as a rifle.

At the same time stripped lowers can be made into a pistol and they're not marked "pistol".

I