Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Rimfire and Blackpowder

Old January 1st, 2016, 06:00

Icon49 Loading problem M90 Winchester.

On the subject of older .22s, I recently picked up a Winchester M'90 in .22 Short from a private owner in NSW.

Going by the serial number it was produced in 1903 - a heavy 6lb weight due to octagonal barrel, take-down version, fair walnut stock, no bluing left, but in surprising good condition for age - a very nice trigger too.

I was surprised that it appeared to be counter-bored to around 1" depth from the muzzle, but it shot well with my old RF pistol ammo, giving a nice tight group. The "two-stage" buck-horn type rear-sight was spot-on for 25 & 50yds respectively, so obviously it was once a treasured possession.

I'm having some trouble with the tube-magazine though.

It is supposed to carry around x20 .22Shorts, but this appears impossible due to the rounds catching internally in the inner tube

No damage/dents can be seen, both spring & follower seem OK. Both insides of the 2 tubes cleaned and sparingly 'lubed with "Triflow" (a Teflon-based synthetic oil). Still no joy.

Is this problem confined to .22 Short cartridge perhaps?

Anyone have any ideas on loading procedures for these classic old Winchesters?
There is no Spring without Winter, without Mistakes there is no Learning. There is no Life without Death, without Doubts there is no Faith. There is no Peace without War, without Fear there is no Courage. For without Mistakes, Doubts and Fears there are no pathways to Wisdom.
Ron Owen.
Old January 1st, 2016, 13:01
Executive Member

Default Re: Loading problem M90 Winchester.

I have the same issue with an old tube fed Mossberg .22 when I try to load shorts into it. It just takes patience. Mine works fine with .22lr ammo.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
Robert A. Heinlein
Old January 3rd, 2016, 02:41

Smile Re: Loading problem M90 Winchester.

Thanks Bigfoot, may be the brand of ammo I am currently finishing up, as the ORF pistol match now uses 22LR.
This superseded Winchester 'Reduced Recoil' .22 rapid-fire ammo does have a fractionally bigger head than most - that may be the problem Vs the older ammo it was designed for maybe.
I have some imported CCI .22 Shorts and will now try those.
[Incidentially I am told many of these older pump-type firearms will "slam-fire"..........]

Thanks again for your post.

BB
There is no Spring without Winter, without Mistakes there is no Learning. There is no Life without Death, without Doubts there is no Faith. There is no Peace without War, without Fear there is no Courage. For without Mistakes, Doubts and Fears there are no pathways to Wisdom.
Ron Owen.
Old January 10th, 2016, 05:00

Default Re: Loading problem M90 Winchester.

Still having the same problem. A twisting action on the inner seems to load x10 OK in the magazine.

[and...Yes - they do "slam-fire".....]

BB
Ron Owen.