Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Rimfire and Blackpowder

Old February 9th, 2014, 17:33
Executive Member

Default Working on the Beretta U22 Neos

I was thinking of offering my U22 up for trade. Don't really shoot it much & prefer the Ruger 22/45. The only real purpose it serves is taking out young shooters because of the smaller grip & short reach to the trigger. Little hands have a hard time with a 22/45. But the gun is so heavy, it's hard for little ones to hold it on target very long so it's not really great for the purpose I planned to keep it.

But it is a nice shooting and accurate gun. I don't dislike it. My biggest complaint was that looked very difficult to figure out a way to turn it into a suppressor host. The barrel is pretty much press fit into a hunk of steel. So I got to tinkering with it and came up with a good way to extend & thread the barrel. Turned out great.

I got the barrel & rail apart & then indicated the bore in the 4-jaw chuck. Bored in 1/2" deep, crowned the new muzzle, and then threaded the part I bored out 1/2-28. Then I made a 1" extension out of stainless steel .496 in diameter threaded 28 tpi. I screwed that in & used red loctite to secure it. That way I can get it out if I really want to but otherwise it isn't going anywhere.

That was yesterday & I wanted to tinker some more. Today I made a thread protector out of stainless and milled flats on it to match the existing barrel. I got some high temp digital camo stencils that I wanted to try out but didn't want to risk messing up a gun I really cared about with what may be a poor Cerakote job. That's in the oven curing now so we'll see how it turned out in a few hours and after "de-stenciling".

I think when it's all finished I'll have a very unique U22. I don't see many of those as suppressor hosts probably due to the way the barrel is.

-- Benjamin Franklin
Old February 9th, 2014, 21:57
Executive Member

Default Re: Working on the Beretta U22 Neos

Coating done & back together. I used a mix of stencils I made & stencils I bought. The ones I bought worked much better. Colors are Armor Black, OD Green, & Magpul FDE. The FDE looks kind of bronze in the pics due to camera flash or white balance. A little sticky goo to clean off still from my homemade stencils but otherwise pretty much ready to go.

From further away & with no flash

-- Benjamin Franklin
Old February 18th, 2014, 20:26
Executive Member

Icon44 Re: Working on the Beretta U22 Neos

Nice work!

You can't spell MEAN without ME!
Old February 24th, 2014, 15:19

Default Re: Working on the Beretta U22 Neos

That's the first Neos I've seen that I like! Nice job!