Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Pistols and Revolvers

Old March 20th, 2017, 10:40 PM
Executive Member

Default L or N??? Thoughts?

L or N??

What is your take on this?

Since Ruger won't build a Redhawk with more than 2.75" barrel, that's out. Which is too bad, because I like the Redhawk a lot.
How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).
Old March 21st, 2017, 09:07 AM
Executive Member

Default Re: L or N??? Thoughts?

Maybe this post didn't make sense. I look it and it is a little unclear.

So Smith and Wesson makes three current models of .357. The J frame is the small 5 shot model, which most of us are familiar with. Then it makes the L frame, which is the 686 and 686+. These are six and seven shot .357s, respectively. Being a normal man, I am interested in the 686+, as having an extra shot in a gun the exact same size as the six shot model is desirable. But wait there is more!!! Smith and Wesson also makes N frame revolvers, these are the big .44 magnum and 45 Colt chambered guns. The N frame can also be had in an eight (8) shot .357. I am interested in the eight shot .357 model.

The two guns which interest me most are the L Frame 686+ Pro, which offers 7 shots and has a 5" barrel. It weighs just over 39 ounces. The other gun which interests me is the N frame 627, which holds 8 shots of .357, has a 4" barrel, and weighs just over 41 ounces. The weight difference between the two guns is negligible, but the N frame is slightly heavier and wider. The L frame has a longer 5" barrel. I like the 5" barrel and reduced weight/width, but on the other hand like the 8 shots available in the N frame.

I have read that the L frame can handle slightly heavier bullets, by virtue of having a slightly longer chamber. This does not mean that the bullets are necessarily more powerful, as the powder charge would remain the same,but that the bullet is heavier/longer. I doubt I'd ever load such bullets though so this is not a big concern.

Surprisingly, the N frame 627 Pro is about $60 dollars cheaper than the L frame 686+ Pro.
How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).
Old March 21st, 2017, 09:19 AM
Executive Member

Icon18 Re: L or N??? Thoughts?

L to carry, shoot with " normally warmed over ammo". N to carry (with a suitably reinforced holster) and shoot with hotter factory ammo or top end handloads.
Old March 21st, 2017, 10:15 PM
Executive Member

Only experience I have with SW bigger than J-frame is my uncle's 686 stainless w/ 7" barrel. Other than weight & probably price tag it is superior in every way to my 6" stainless GP100 (which is a gun I like very much).

Anyway, it's plenty big and not something I'd want to carry around. He wears on a chest holster when hunting. What he expects to encounter in PA woods that a .270 is insufficient for but a .357MAG is, I have no idea....

@ 100 yds or so I can do better with his 686 than my GP100. Might just be that I prefer his sights to mine or that tiny bit longer radius, but I get better results with a gun I rarely shoot vs one I shoot frequently.

If you're able to put a few rds thru both for direct comparison that would probably tell you which you prefer. Otherwise it's the basic which one fits your hands better or has some feature that makes it preferable to you.

-- Benjamin Franklin
Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:27 AM
Executive Member

Haven't had enough experience with newer made SW's to say much. I will say the original pre lock 686's were fine revolvers, liked them much more than Ruger GP's. But when discussing N-frames, I'm usually talking .44 magnum and those older 29's and 629's just did not hold up to large amounts of full power loads as well as Ruger's Redhawk. My last 629 pre lock I had to have retimed more than once and when the cylinder stop notches began peening, I sold it.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:09 PM
Executive Member

Shark.....I have always been intrigued by Rugers "Alaskan" model......a 2.5 inch barrel in .454 Casull would sure be a neat flamethrower!!

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...an/models.html
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)
Old March 22nd, 2017, 09:07 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

I've been dithering back and forth between a 3" or a 4" 686, which would put me squarely in the "L" side of the aisle. I can see one or the other length showing up here about July, assuming I don't get deluged with another whole wad of Medical bills between now and then.

After the Delta Elite, I've got to let the slush fund build back up before I buy anything else, and that assumes that I'm not bleeding money to the Doctors.

Eight rounds is nice, and all that, but if I'm worried about sufficient ammo when I'm carrying, they make some nice little semi-autos for that, and I've got several of them. Revolvers are mostly range guns for me, although I could carry a 3", and probably a 4". Five is right out.

If I'm going with something hotter than .357, I'd rather be using a Ruger.

YMMV.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:00 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferson101 View Post

Eight rounds is nice, and all that, but if I'm worried about sufficient ammo when I'm carrying, they make some nice little semi-autos for that, and I've got several of them. Revolvers are mostly range guns for me, although I could carry a 3", and probably a 4". Five is right out.

If I'm going with something hotter than .357, I'd rather be using a Ruger.

YMMV.
Yep, on the Ruger, but we are talking .357 here. I'd get the Ruger Redhawk in .357 if they made it with something other than a 2.75" barrel. That has to be the dumbest idea ever.

8 shots is better than 6 though. And it's 60 bucks less....

Just today I was firing more shots per minute with my Ruger Vaqeuro than my buddy with his Glock 23. Of course, he only had one mag and had to reload it every 13 rounds. Just imagine what I could have accomplished with 8 shots....
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:01 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
Shark.....I have always been intrigued by Rugers "Alaskan" model......a 2.5 inch barrel in .454 Casull would sure be a neat flamethrower!!

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...an/models.html
I'd prefer the 5" model...

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...eets/5517.html
Old March 22nd, 2017, 11:39 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Shark View Post
You can find 5 and 7 inch Redhawk's all day!!! I thought you misspelled, and were looking for Redhawk's with short barrels.......

MY bad........ But you have to admit......that shorty Redhawk is cool!!!
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)