Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > CMP

Old January 7th, 2009, 09:56
guncrazy

Default Service Grade

How good are the service grade Garands from the CMP? I am kinda worried about the throat erosion. And I don't want a gun that I have to replace parts on and all that kind of stuff. What does the HRA and SA mean? http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
I guess it would be best to buy the 192rd spam cans first so I can build up some enbloc clips. Any other advice or info will be greatly appreciated!
Old January 7th, 2009, 15:33

Default Re: Service Grade

How good are the service grade Garands from the CMP?

The wood's generally a bit dinged up, but sound. The metal may be a bit worn of finish, but they are still capable of out-shooting 98% of all buyers.

The CMP XCustomer Service is second to none and they WILL take care of any functional problems (very rare) for you with no charge.

I am kinda worried about the throat erosion.

On a Service Grade throat erosion is only rarely an issue. Most gauge '2' or less, Well within USGI issue spec. I've gauged hundreds of Service Grade muzzles. '1' to '2' is the usual range for most with 3 being found every now and again. I use my most worn Service Grade bore (on a Springfield Armory) to shoot matches. It's better than I can hold it.

And I don't want a gun that I have to replace parts on and all that kind of stuff.

The CMP takes care of any immediately found functional problems. Their customer service has never done me wrong. One time they shipped me a Mossberg 144U.S. minus the rear sight. One email later I had a rear sight headed my way via Fedex WITH AN APOLOGY! Most folks that have had to deal with the CMP to get a problem solved come away wishing all other dealers were as upstanding as the CMP.

What does the HRA and SA mean?

Harrington & Richardson Arms and Springfield Armory, two of the four manufacturers, the other two being Winchester (W) and the International Harvester Company (IHC).
Old January 7th, 2009, 15:37
Executive Member

What does the HRA and SA mean?

Harrington & Richardson Arms and Springfield Armory, two of the four manufacturers, the other two being Winchester (W) and the International Harvester Company (IHC).[/QUOTE]

Is there any preference on which kind of Garand I should get?
Old January 7th, 2009, 22:23
Contributor

IHCs with the LMR barrels are supposed to be the most accurate. I think the HRA and IHCs are cool because everyone has heard of a WInchester or Springfield. I do like the Winchester name on the heel of the receiver!
So, am I your man Mr. Dumbass? The name, is Dumaas!
Old January 8th, 2009, 15:02

HRA's are post WW2 'late models' if you will. Some are close to new condition.HRA delivered great quality to the DOD.

IHC's are highly collectible and of great quality.

Both of the above used sub-contractor-suppied pieces parts and some parts from SA.

LMR pipes are found mostly on IHC's as original equipment and on other brands as replacement barrels (although LMR barrels 'can' be OEM to both HRA and SA Garands).

Danish return Garands with the european VAR pipes are also highly regarded for accuracy.

Winchester had what is considered to be the most 'crude' machining operations, but are the most collectible brand and command the highest prices.

SA made more Garands than the other manufacturers and everyone needs at least one SA in their collection!

ALL Garands are about equal in functional respects and the brand name really means little to anyone other than a collector.

Good info hear from Dick Culver: http://www.jouster.com/Bulletin/Evaluate.html

Last edited by CAMPYBOB; January 9th, 2009 at 18:54.
Old January 9th, 2009, 09:04
RJS

I have bought 3 service grade M1's from CMP. 1 SA and 2 H&R's. You will not need to replace anything unless you are into a all matching M1. They have been rebuilt, so your SA could and will have other manufactured parts. All mine were 2 ME or less. I liked them so much I ordered 5 more, 4 SG H&R and 1 FG H&R. If you were to buy one only I would go with the H&R as they were very well made and are less common than the SA.

Buy one you will not be disappointed!

Service Grade SA M1 with GI stock

Service Grade H&R with CMP replacement stock