Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > CMP

Old August 9th, 2009, 18:52

Default They're all gone...56K death

The best $175 I've spent in years.

This is a CMP Mossberg Model 44 U.S. S/N 154131, which puts its' born-on date in 1944.

When I got it, it was in "never fired" condition. I know this because...it wouldn't shoot! The firing pin protrusion was .004" too short until I fixed it.

It has a beech hardwood stock with boiled linseed oil finish, original factory blued finish, the Mossberg S-100 rear aperture sight, a medium contour target barrel, aluminum buttplate, safety indicator pegs, nylon triggerguard and steel sling swivels. the trigger breaks at just over three pounds.

SIXTY-FIVE years after it was manufactured, I put the first round down the virgin bore.

Sadly, these rifles are now out of stock at the CMP, which is a damn shame as they will shoot rings around most of the .22 L.R. rifles being sold today.

Old August 9th, 2009, 19:14

Default Re: They're all gone...56K death

Unloved for 65 years...sitting in a rack in some forgotten arms room on a military base once used to train our sailors for WW2 combat. The U.S. Navy ordered the Mossberg 44 U.S. rifles under two contracts...one in 1943 and one in 1944.

Old August 9th, 2009, 19:28

No wear on the anodized aluminum buttplate or the nylon trigger guard...a dead give away the rifle was never used for training.

U.S. PROPERTY marked on both the barrel and receiver.

Old August 9th, 2009, 19:46

The O.E.M. Mossberg S-100 rear aperture sight with micro-adjust (1/4-minute clicks) knobs for wingage and elevation. When I received the rifle from the CMP, the sight mounting screws were not even tightened. Oddly, after tightening and cleaning the sight thoroughly the first sighter shots were almost perfectly zero'd!

Left-side view, shown sitting on the 7-round commercial magazine (available from Vic Havlin at Havlin's Sales). I still need a WW2 vintage Garand web sling for this one.

Old August 9th, 2009, 20:04

A drift-adjustable for windage front blade sight was standard on the military rifles. Mossberg supplied a sight hood, but they were so small that they obscured the sight picture and the military discarded them. The CMP recently sold off a small batch of original hoods (repros are also available), but after using one I can see why they were tossed in the trash...worthless. The long barrel makes the rifle very quiet when used with standard velocity match ammunition.

A shot of the pristine nylon trigger guard and parkerized steel magazine estucheon plate. The knurled screw is removed when using .22 Long Rifle ammunition and left in place when shooting .22 Short ammunition.

Old August 9th, 2009, 20:06
Special K.

Very nice! Is that some sort of grip safety coming off the trigger guard? How heavy is the beastie?
Old August 9th, 2009, 20:15

No. It is just a nylon trigger guard extension with finger grooves' Smooth aluminum versions are also available.

The only safety is the pictured lever just behind the bolt shroud.

The weight is rather modest for a target rifle, right around 8-1/2 pounds.

Here are the basic specifications from Vic Havlin's excellent website:

Specs
model
44US
action type bolt
adj. trigger no
stock W-Beavertail
barrel 26" 13/16 dia.
Overall
lengh 43"
weight 8.5 lbs
feed type clip
cartridge LR only
capacity 7
clip type S118
Sights
front S122
hood S215
rear none
reciever S100
apeture 44US early S196 Late No.4D
scope mount side
Swivels
front S116
rear S116
Production
began 1943
ended 1945
years 3 yrs
Old August 9th, 2009, 20:23

I forgot to mention that although the CMP is currently sold out of the $175 Model 44 U.S. rifles, gunshows and sites such as Gunbroker are well stocked with the civilian versions, Models 44 U.S. (a), (b), (c) and (d).

These generally are priced at a reasonable $200-$300.

Martially marked rifles may command a slight price premium, but in reality it is not much as the collectors' market' for Mossbergs has never really grown in demand. I pretty much figure the same money for both versions if the condition of the rifles are identical.

I've bought 'beaters' from the CMP for only $75 in the not-so-distant past and honestly, other than being lightly used they were 'almost' as nice as the rifle I pictured above.