Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > The Ammo Room

Old May 14th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Executive Member

Default What About Those "Lesser-Known" Ammo Manufacturers?

I was looking for some inexpensive 9mm P range ammo to try out a new pistol I bought. I went into a Point Blank indoor range where I was told they have decent prices, and ended up buying a couple of boxes of Federal 115 grain ball for about $13.75 for a box of 50. But I noticed that they had ammo from some of the "smaller" makers, such as MagTech, as well as one or two that I never heard of before, such as Midwest.

I'm just wondering about some of those smaller shops. How is their quality control? Where do they get their components? Anybody here had any experience with them?

For now I tend to stick with the bigger name brands such as Remington, Federal, Winchester, Hornady, and Speer.

Maybe we should compile a list?

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.
Old May 14th, 2016, 06:46 PM
Executive Member

Default Re: What About Those "Lesser-Known" Ammo Manufacturers?

Magtech is fairly popular. I've bought maybe 3-400 rds of their factory ammo with no complaints. Have some of their brass in my reloading mix & it seems as good as anyone else's for that purpose.

A LOT of the "I never heard of that" brand is actually remanufactured. I stay away from it because for the tiny cost saving, it's still reloads. It's generally not significantly less expensive.

CCI Blazer Brass, Fiocchi, & ZVS (lesser-known but great cheap factory ammo) are typically found on sale under $10/box. I'll often grab a case at 19 rd since it costs me 11-12 to reload 9mm. Sometimes it isn't worth the time to save $75/case.

I've snagged some pretty good deals at Dick's using their coupons combined with their occasional ammo sales. The sale price isn't all that great, but we shop there enough that combined with a rewards certificate it's a really good deal. If you shop there that's an option. Before we moved to NC, we had an Academy real close. They were always the cheapest place to walk in & buy ammo off the shelf. Something on special that was always less than WM or anywhere else. Been 10 yrs, so no idea if they still have cheap ammo.

-- Benjamin Franklin
Old May 17th, 2016, 07:55 AM
Executive Member

A while back - 20 years ago or so, Midway had a smoking deal on 124gr Geco 9mm, made in Germany or Austria, IIRC. Man, that stuff was HOT! After shooting just one box, I decided that it might be a bit too warm for my alloy-frame S&W 39-2, and used the rest of that case of ammo in steel frame guns.

I had always been a fan of PMC since my aforementioned 39-2 loved the stuff. Not as 'dirty' was Rem-UMC.

FWIW, Magtech sell ammo with new brass as well as used brass. Read the description of each loading before you buy.
Old June 6th, 2016, 09:09 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Some of the lower end stuff (Blazer Brass, among others) is so downloaded it won't cycle a lot of my 9mm's regularly.

If you just want blasting ammo for the range, and don't care if you have to clear a stovepipe or other FTE about once a mag? It works for that, particularly the whole FTE thing about once a mag.

WWB cycles my 9mm's nicely. Beyond that, there are several brands out there that are at least as cheap, and work better. I'm getting fond of the ZQ1 Turkish stuff. 124g Nato spec, and as cheap as WWB.

I wish I could find some more of that GECO stuff. I bought about ten boxes of it back during the ammo scarcity, when Wally World had it. It's really nice, and I stashed it for hard times.

If you reload, S&B or Blazer Brass cases are not all that. They don't hold up. The Privi Partsian or ZQ1 brass has so far been decent, (Comparable to Winchester or Remington for longevity.)

All things being equal, Federal is the best value, in my book. Decent ammo which isn't weak and cycles everything nicely, good solid reloadable brass, and it seems a bit more accurate that most to me. JMO on the more accurate part, and I've not chrono'd any of it lately, but Federal Ammo has always worked just fine for me.
Old June 7th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Executive Member

My local Walmart has that ZQ1 ammo in both 5.56 and 7.62x51. $9.90 for a 20-rd box of 7.62 isn't a bad price these days. I bought up some 20 boxes last year.
Old June 12th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Executive Member

Just bought five boxes of Geco 124 from SGammo. Feels like plus p recoil wise.
Old June 18th, 2016, 08:18 PM
Executive Member

The Geco ammo I had referred to earlier came in a blue box. I have some newer stuff in a red box. Haven't shot any of it yet, so can't compare it to the blue box stuff...
Old July 13th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Executive Member

Just bought three more boxes of Geco red box 115gr. Republican convention is in town starting this Friday, and BLM and New Black Panther Party will be protesting. Not sure which to carry this next week - a 8-shot compact 9mm Ruger LC9 or the six-shot .40 Kahr CM40. NOT carrying FMJs - they're for practice.
Old December 9th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Executive Member

If you have a Rural King store in your area, they have been having a sale on Geco.