Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Long Range and Sniper Rifles

Old June 15th, 2013, 13:40
Banned

Default Could some one tell me about bullet drop.

Ok, I have an awesome custom Remington 700 7mm Magnum with a laminated walnut thumbhole stock with a Burris Euro Diamond Scope mounted on It. It is zeroed at 200 yards. I'm wanting to know what would be the amout of bullet drop on this particular round (7mm mag 139gr) at different yardage. 300, 300, 500, 600, and so forth. I use it for deer hunting and one particular green field offers exceptionally long shots. Thank you.
Old June 15th, 2013, 15:15
Banned

Default Re: Could some one tell me about bullet drop.

You have to supply: Actual velocity, ballistic co-efficient and height of sight above the bore. That'll get you close enough so you can then shoot at the various yardages to confirm what you were told.
Old June 15th, 2013, 15:56

Bullet weight and any elevation difference are a big factor too. As Steve alluded to, there are a bunch of smaller factors that come into play at longer ranges like temp, humidity, but they wouldn't come into play at the ranges where ethical shot for game should be taken.
Old June 21st, 2013, 20:51
Executive Member

If you know your fps I have ballistic charts that will be close. Just CLOSE. Too many variables to be exact. even scope height over bore makes a difference. My 7 mag, with my load (150 grain PSP @3050) Two inches high at 100, approx 200 yd zero, seven low at 300, nineteen low at 400, a whopping 40 low at 500. Book velocities aren't accurate, you gotta chrono and really you need to shoot...and shoot and shoot some more. You ever noticed that about 300 yards is the max point blank range with .308's. 3006, 300 mags, just about every known cartridge? In my prime, when I could still see, when I shot all the time I limited my shots on deer to 400 yards. That WAS the limit on my ability to cleanly kill, now I'm not sure I need to shoot even 300.

Last edited by paintballmagnet; June 21st, 2013 at 20:55.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:47
Executive Member

Icon21 Re: Could some one tell me about bullet drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respiratorytherapist37 View Post
Ok, I have an awesome custom Remington 700 7mm Magnum with a laminated walnut thumbhole stock with a Burris Euro Diamond Scope mounted on It. It is zeroed at 200 yards. I'm wanting to know what would be the amout of bullet drop on this particular round (7mm mag 139gr) at different yardage. 300, 300, 500, 600, and so forth. I use it for deer hunting and one particular green field offers exceptionally long shots. Thank you.
If you go to the Ammo makers web site they will show you ballistics for all their rounds.
Old June 24th, 2013, 21:29
Executive Member

If you go to the Ammo makers web site they will show you ballistics for all their rounds.

... which may or may not be similar to what you experience in your platform.

Depends on what their test platform is & how similar that is to your rifle. I wouldn't expect the same flight path for a 147 gr 9mm from a Beretta CX4 Storm as from a Kahr PM9. Extreme, but neither is probably close to the 4.9" drop @ 100 yds cited on Remington's ballistic chart that used a 4" test barrel.

This will get you in the ballpark: http://www.winchester.com/learning-c...alculator.aspx

-- Benjamin Franklin