Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > AR and M Series

Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:01
Executive Member

Default Adams Arms Uppers

Anyone use them? Looks like minor modifications to the bolt carrier group and a pistol instead of a gas tube, nice!

https://www.westernsport.com/product..._hsmi=56346968
I have a Right to my Life; I have a Right to the Fruits of my Labor. If you concede the principle of the Income Tax, you concede the principle that the government owns ALL your income and permits you to keep a certain percentage of it.
─Ron Paul, interview by Time on Sep 17, 2009.
Old September 30th, 2017, 10:47
Executive Member

Default Re: Adams Arms Uppers

I just got mine. Although I have used the AR 15 series since One Station Unit Training in '84, I was first wary about its reliability, then reluctantly supportive. I have recently become less enamored with the direct gas impingement and its reliability, even with "regular" maintenance.

I think DoD should have at the least swapped out the old direct gas impingement uppers with piston uppers of whatever manufacturer in the last decade.

This might be the time to buy before evil black rifle laws go into effect (after Trump).
I have a Right to my Life; I have a Right to the Fruits of my Labor. If you concede the principle of the Income Tax, you concede the principle that the government owns ALL your income and permits you to keep a certain percentage of it.
Old September 30th, 2017, 12:15
Executive Member

No gas tube here

Modified bolt carrier

Bolt does not have gas rings
Bolt needs a spring to snap it back.
Black firing pin.

Last edited by 9th Company; September 30th, 2017 at 12:47.
Old September 30th, 2017, 18:45
Executive Member

The thing about these is the bolt tilt issues. Seems like robbing peter to pay paul? They do run...... however does it start other problems somewhere else.....?

The DI guns biggest problems are in the gas ports or front gas blocks. Undersized holes or oversized holes. The one gun that comes to mind that may be an answer is the, I hold my breath....... The SK Daewoo. Ugly gun for sure...... But its a departure from what we have seen here. Its really an AK style action though. But does work.

I don't know the answer to the DI issues. Or that a piston is the answer either. I remember the RHINO system from years ago. So the piston idea is not new.

JMHO
TH
Old October 1st, 2017, 23:03
Executive Member

A friend gave me an AR15 that had an Adam Arms piston upper. The whole gun needed cleaning.
He told me that is wouldn't eject.
I took a look at it and even fired a few rounds. Yup no ejection.

I did a bunch of internet learnin' that day. I had to figure out WHO was the maker of the gas system and how to take it apart.

He had shot some Corrosive 5.45x39 through it (it wasn't a .223) and it rusted up the gas piston.

After screwing with it for a while I was able to get it out and off the gun. I couldn't remove the rod from the piston. I soaked the set up in PB Blaster for 2 days to no avail.
It wasn't until I put a torch to it that it finally let go. I hit it with an emery cloth to smooth it down (didn't take the finish off BTW!) and git it all back to work.

So I was thinking of getting the Adams Piston kit before having to clean this up, and since I see how SO simply it comes apart I am still thinking about buying a kit for 1 or 2 of my ARs but one needs to remember to clean the piston immediately or it may seize up from carbon or corrosion because the fit is very fine, nearly air tight.

BISHOP
Old October 9th, 2017, 23:13
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread Head View Post
The thing about these is the bolt tilt issues. Seems like robbing peter to pay paul? They do run...... however does it start other problems somewhere else.....?

The DI guns biggest problems are in the gas ports or front gas blocks. Undersized holes or oversized holes. The one gun that comes to mind that may be an answer is the, I hold my breath....... The SK Daewoo. Ugly gun for sure...... But its a departure from what we have seen here. Its really an AK style action though. But does work.

I don't know the answer to the DI issues. Or that a piston is the answer either. I remember the RHINO system from years ago. So the piston idea is not new.

JMHO
TH
The Daewoo copied the AR-18.

You can buy something real close to that right now for $600 bucks. It's the Taiwanese T91 upper, which uses a piston. This upper has been used by the Taiwanese military for 30+ years in one format or another so it does work. It is currently imported by Wolf as the Wolf A1.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...r&groupid=4326
How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).
Old October 10th, 2017, 14:40
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Shark View Post
The Daewoo copied the AR-18.

You can buy something real close to that right now for $600 bucks. It's the Taiwanese T91 upper, which uses a piston. This upper has been used by the Taiwanese military for 30+ years in one format or another so it does work. It is currently imported by Wolf as the Wolf A1.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...r&groupid=4326
I was looking this one over the other day just so happens. For the $$ I am thinking of giving one a go.

TH
Old October 26th, 2017, 00:50
Executive Member

I took it out the other day and it did not feed my reloaded ammo. Crap. I use a small base die on my brass and after thousands of tries I have a decent reload for my gas uppers. But not for this. And the front assist was no help either.