Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > International Chapters > Confederate States of America

Old November 13th, 2017, 16:43
Contributor
Moderator Token Forum Zombie

Default Maynard Tape Primer

I figured PlowboysGhost would be interested in this. I also have a strange feeling this is where the idea of the red roll toy caps came from.

Maynard Tape Primer

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.
Old November 13th, 2017, 20:16
Executive Member

Default Re: Maynard Tape Primer

You betcha!

I have read on them a little, but I've never handled an original with the tape primer system.

One thing that strikes me is that, although the actual tape primer itself is purported to be "moisture proof", it does appear that the uncapped nipple cone is a wide open conduit for moisture to form or creep into the flash channel and the chamber when the gun is carried loaded on half cock as was the traditional carry position of the hammer.

I have no idea how widespread the use of nipple protectors were with the specific guns the system was adapted to, or just how long these weapons were carried loaded afield before they were cleared and reloaded. From what I can see, it looks like one would be better off with a musket cap sealing off the nipple.

I'm barely more familiar with the original percussion Sharps' "Lawrence Pellet Primer System". These are systems that (of course) aren't on any of the reproductions.
"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee ruleóto all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race." -Edmund Ruffin *
At a little creek called Bull Run, we took their starry rag...to wipe our horses down with, and I ain't here to brag.
Old November 13th, 2017, 22:55
Contributor

I figured you'd already known about these because you have delved so deeply into the black powder world. And I agree with you, I don't see how the moisture could be kept out by the design I see in the pictures. But it was new to me and it reminded me of the rolls of caps we used to get as kids. I thought of that when I scanned over the pics before I read the article.

Old November 13th, 2017, 22:59
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reb View Post
I figured you'd already known about these because you have delved so deeply into the black powder world. And I agree with you, I don't see how the moisture could be kept out by the design I see in the pictures. But it was new to me and it reminded me of the rolls of caps we used to get as kids. I thought of that when I scanned over the pics before I read the article.
Yeah it looks a lot like the rolls of caps I used to just put on the concrete steps and whack with a hammer to get 'em all to go off at once....or thrice. Third whack's the charm.
"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee ruleóto all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race." -Edmund Ruffin *
At a little creek called Bull Run, we took their starry rag...to wipe our horses down with, and I ain't here to brag.
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:37
Contributor

Yep same here. I finally graduated to using my dad's primer and a sling shot shooting against brick walls. You can guess how long that last after dad found out. It's a wonder I didn't lose about an inch of hide to the Belt of Doom on that deal.

But dad only said a few very convincing words and I learned the error of my ways. My mom told me later that dad told her, "At least the boy understands the principle of how primers work."

Last edited by Reb; November 15th, 2017 at 09:30.
Old November 14th, 2017, 13:46

Icon36 Re: Maynard Tape Primer

Read somewhere that they were all converted to percussion cap.

William Faulkner, Intruder in the Dust 1948
Old November 14th, 2017, 17:27
Executive Member

Pretty neat Reb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlowboysGhost View Post
Yeah it looks a lot like the rolls of caps I used to just put on the concrete steps and whack with a hammer to get 'em all to go off at once....or thrice. Third whack's the charm.
Hay Plowboy I usedta sometimes whack a whole roll of caps same as you did. Tho I do not recall ever getting caught and getting in trouble for it. I was so busy getting caught for all the udder stuff I did whacking off a roll of caps would have been inconsequential.

I carry a gun cuz IT'S A GOD GIVEN RIGHT.

New Sheriff in town January 20, 2017 Yehaaaaa
Old November 14th, 2017, 17:41
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolivar Petit Coronas Cab View Post
Read somewhere that they were all converted to percussion cap.
OTOH if you find July 4th around the corner and you wanna have a hold my beer moment try this. As I KNOW it works with #209 12G primers I don't know why #11 percussion caps wouldn't work... Pull the plastic cone off the top of a rocket and drop in some (5-6) lady finger 1 inchers and some (5-6) 209 primers or NOT twisting anyone's arm here. Ain't in No Way Shape or Form gonna take responsibility for a bonehead move..... Drop some #11 perc caps inside replace nose cap setup launcher hold my beer light fuse and

get back 40-50 feet and see what happens. Vertical Launch works best tho I've had rockets CHASE ME b4 going vertical agin.

Believe it or not I still got ALL my fingers!!

I carry a gun cuz IT'S A GOD GIVEN RIGHT.

New Sheriff in town January 20, 2017 Yehaaaaa