Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Main Battle Rifles

Old September 13th, 2017, 18:49
Your Friendly Kraut
Administrator

Default Refinished my stock last week.

The retractable stock on my new PTR91.

I used Brownell's baking lacquer for the flat housing parts that are supposed to be Parked, and a new, high-end high adhesion Krylon semi-gloss for the stock rails and buttplate.

It turned out better than expected.

The best part of this was, when I went to the range to shoot this new rifle, I had the retractable stock installed, but I took the conventional stock too for when my shoulder started getting too beat up.

When I'm here to tell you this isn't the meat grinder I alluded to in other posts about this rifle, and in fact it's nothing like I remember shooting with this stock 20 years ago.

Now, in all fairness, it might be because there is very little cheek weld using a mounted optic on the rail of this rifle. I think most of the complaints about getting beat up by this rifle using this stock comes from folks who were getting their faces bashed in by the recoil. Not their shoulder. When you sit your cheek on a hard steel rail behind a 7,62x51 cartridge, it's liable to hurt a little as the rifle rises.

Without that cheek weld this rifle is a pussycat with this stock. I ran about 200 rounds through it expecting the worst and after the first magazine I decided I wasn't changing stocks.

The EO Tech sight is great for snap shots and is scary accurate. I mean right on the dot. The good part is that it never lost zero even after 200 rounds. Rock-solid and stable.

The recoil is more of a very smoooth shove than a sharp push which is what I thought the StG.58 felt like. I guess i got so used to shooting that rifle that I expected the same thing from a rifle type I haven't fired in almost 20 years. It was nothing of the sort. It was so smooth it was to be experienced to be believed. And not one malfunction in 200 rounds+ either.

This rifle is a reliable and comfortable shooter and I'm keeping this one. I wish I'd sold or traded my StG.58 years ago if I'd known PTR was building rifles to HK's quality standards.

There is no physical difference between these two rifles except origin of manufacture. If you have ever thought about buying one of these rifles, I'd buy one now before the company gets a big head on their shoulders, finds out how good they are from all of the You Tube raving videos, and raises their prices to that of HK.

After only a week of working this stock in and out there is only the slightest light mark on the rails of the stock being worked. This Krylon heavy-duty high adhesion paint is the cat's ass. Good stuff for sure.

Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby...
Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

SAC WILL BE BACK!

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!
Old September 13th, 2017, 19:45
Executive Member

Default Re: Refinished my stock last week.

That is a beautiful rifle.

I done have the $$ for a real HK but I do have a (please forgive me)CAI Spanish copy of the HK33. Their C93.
Shooting this after shooting my AR is like going from an old Volkswagon bug to a 70's Caddy. SMOOTH action very light recoil.

I do have a CETME with that same collapsible stock. I took the stock all apart one day and reblued everything. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. Next day it was all rusted!!! I wiped all the blue off and oiled it after doing the work too, but it still rusted.

BISHOP
Old September 13th, 2017, 20:16
Your Friendly Kraut
Administrator

At 13.4 pounds it doesn't surprise me that mine is such a smooth shooter. I'm happy for the weight, really!

The job I've been at for the last year has pumped up this 55 year old body so that I don't really notice it anymore, and it certainly feels lighter than my StG.58 when I was not in such good shape. I still think the recoil of the StG.58 was more violent than the HK91.

The recoil is such that you can almost feel the bolt carrier pushing back the recoil spring in the stock. It's so smoooooth!

Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby...
Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

SAC WILL BE BACK!

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!
Old September 18th, 2017, 14:13
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post

I do have a CETME with that same collapsible stock. I took the stock all apart one day and reblued everything. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. Next day it was all rusted!!! I wiped all the blue off and oiled it after doing the work too, but it still rusted.

BISHOP
That sucks!! I can sympathize with you.........
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)