Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > AK and SKS

Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:00 PM
Executive Member

Icon18 Intrac AK74( Romanian,1997)???

Paintball Magnet got me thinking. And I may have a doable deal on Armslist for one of these,with 5 magazines,200 rounds and a few other accessories for $650-$700... Who here remembers these,are they comparable to Arsenal,SAR 2's or similar quality rifles? I vaguely remember mention of these but have no hand's on experience with these versions.
Thoughts and input are welcome
Old May 3rd, 2017, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Intrac AK74( Romanian,1997)???

IIRC, I owned an Intrac import and it was a ROMAK2. It had a very good black oxide finish, thick and durable as any I've owned.

Many of the ROMAK versions (And earlier WUM and CUR models) had slant-cut receivers. Some were square cut and obviously worth more money.

A lot of the ban models were imported (and sold) with the laminated 'Drag' style stock...a variation on the thumbhole theme. Before the ban went away and 922R compliant rifles became the norm, the Kalashnikov imports were returned to military configuration.

The early 922R conversions had some really crappy trigger groups installed and trigger slap, gritty triggers and the like was also a kind of new normal. You may need a replacement and you may not.

Canted front sights and crooked gas blocks did not originate with the SAR series, so check those out for alignment. Correcting them is possible, but a pain in the ass to do.

The Intrac Drag originals were around $275-$350 back in the day. Today? I don't think the rifle would be worth more than $500 unless unfired and with box / papers. Your deal with ammunition and magazines would push that to the $600-$650 range so possibly not an unreasonable asking price.

While the WUM / CUR / ROMAK / SAR series were never on the quality level of any Arsenal or Saiga product, the best of them were competent shooters. I would buy any of them, but only after a careful inspection to verify all construction details.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:38 PM
Executive Member

Icon18 Re: Intrac AK74( Romanian,1997)???

Thanks. I haven't been able to meet,greet and hand inspect yet(probably not until next week)but the photos appear to be a square rear receiver trunnion area. I will have to get a hands on.
Old May 4th, 2017, 05:06 AM
Executive Member

Considering they usually were decent rifles and the current price of surplus magazines, this doesn't sound like a horrible deal. I'd sure like to see it in my hands before buying or at least have a money back three day inspection window. I have more doubts buying ANY AK without visual inspection, this including headspace, than any other make of firearm. I've seen too many outright junkers being passed to buyers. A buddy got three AK's, one at a time, from a well known Georgia builder, he was lucky that they took all back and refunded his money, all had serious issues. I wish I'd got into a '74 years ago, think it'd be neat owning one. If you decide to buy it and it does have crappy trigger parts, I have several sets of original parts, I'll send you a set.
Old May 4th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Executive Member

Icon18 Re: Intrac AK74( Romanian,1997)???

Thanks PBM. I am working in Massachusetts a few days. When I get some breathing space,I will see if it is still available.
Old May 4th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Executive Member

Speaking of 922R, has anyone actually be charged/convicted of "violating" the rules? Buying a used one that has been altered I presume might put you in a situation where you could be charged.
Old May 4th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBob View Post
Speaking of 922R, has anyone actually be charged/convicted of "violating" the rules? Buying a used one that has been altered I presume might put you in a situation where you could be charged.
I have never heard of a conviction, You would think if it had been used in a conviction it would be all over the liberal news networks. Here is a 2009 letter from BATF that may help answer your question. http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261731
Of course it may have been superseded since then.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
Robert A. Heinlein
Old May 4th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBob View Post
I've been to several major gun shows, shows that had ATFe agents roaming the aisles, seen numerous firearms that were obviously non 922 compliant yet not one thing was said or done. I'd not volunteer to be the test case but I have yet to hear of even one person busted for non-compliance. They may be waiting to start but so far..... Its got so when it comes to having a reliable weapon vs crap compliance parts, most I know ignore the rules. Try finding FAL HTS sets that won't eventually begin doubling, I've yet to see any identifiable US made sets that held up to hard use. For instance, a certain well known FAL manufacturer was once upon a time selling parts that looked IDENTICAL to Austrian Steyr fire control parts, they included a printed sheet stating the parts were US made. I never believed it.
Old May 9th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Executive Member

The early guns, specifically the CUR and WUM guns are probably the best bet on these. :Later guns I have seen are a mess. The finish on all of then is poor but durable. I prefer guns that are made in the Cugir plant as they are the producer of the military guns.. I have a CUR I and a CUR 2. They are both great guns. Got burned once on a later gun. Won't do that again. Had a cut receiver end. Bad on me for not paying attention.

TH
Old May 16th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Executive Member

Icon36 Re: Intrac AK74( Romanian,1997)???

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballmagnet View Post
I've been to several major gun shows shows that had ATFe agents roaming the aisles, seen numerous firearms that were obviously non 922 compliant yet not one thing was said or done. I'd not volunteer to be the test case but I have yet to hear of even one person busted for non-compliance. They may be waiting to start but so far..... Its got so when it comes to having a reliable weapon vs crap compliance parts, most I know ignore the rules. Try finding FAL HTS sets that won't eventually begin doubling, I've yet to see any identifiable US made sets that held up to hard use. For instance, a certain well known FAL manufacturer was once upon a time selling parts that looked IDENTICAL to Austrian Steyr fire control parts, they included a printed sheet stating the parts were US made. I never believed it.
I don't know what this non 922 compliant is. I also know if I thought there were F Troop pukes there I am gonezo. Me thinks this is my 1st crack at the AK realm here. Got a couple questions.

a) Would a Century Arms AK have 922 issues?

b) If the answer is affirmative what are the ramifications down the road freedom wise?

Gonna head for Gen. Dis. now. Mornin' fellas.

I carry a gun cuz IT'S A GOD GIVEN RIGHT.

New Sheriff in town January 20, 2017 Yehaaaaa
Old May 16th, 2017, 11:10 PM
Executive Member

The way I understand 922r, its only applicable when it is assembled. IE: You are building it from a kit. Of course I may be wrong.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
Robert A. Heinlein