Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Member Services > Technical Support

Old September 20th, 2017, 12:53
Executive Member

Default Linux verify

I am unable to get either linux mint or ubuntu to verify. I do not have linux installed so am using Kleopata to verify under windows. I download both sha256sum.txt.gpg and sha256sum.txt from the websites. When I try to import sha256sum.txt.gpg into Kleopata it comes back processed files 0, imported files 0. How dose one go about verifing that the iso I downloaded is not corrupted or anything?

The laws allow arms to be taken against an armed foe. Ovid
Old September 20th, 2017, 16:40
Grouchy Moderator

Default Re: Linux verify

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
Old September 20th, 2017, 17:22
Executive Member

Yea.....I never had problems "verifying" my Linux.......the road block that I fussed over for HOURS...........was getting the partition to create the boot segment..........

I still to this day, am not sure how I ever did it, but in a drunken stupor (by THAT time )..........I must have finally done the correct combination of "clicks" on the mouse........I never did figure out how to properly and seamlessly do partitions.........I hate it!

And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)
Old September 20th, 2017, 17:54
Executive Member

Okay got the Ubuntu to verifi with MD5 but cannot do the same with Mint as I cannot find a MD5 file for them. All the have is a SHA256sum file.

Last edited by ah1g; September 20th, 2017 at 18:21.
Old September 20th, 2017, 18:23
Executive Member

Did you try the Debian (LMDE) version? As I said, Ubuntu could not even hook up my printer. If you are going to go through all the trouble, make sure it is a version that will work for you........

Damn.....I really have no idea what is going on......???? Never ran across that problem.......never needed all those files? I just burned the disk from their repository, and away it went and installed!

You DO know that you need to create a separate partition on your hard drive......Linux operates on EXT4.......and Windows wont install that. Windows operates on NTFS.......and the twain shall never meet!!!!
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Last edited by Led; September 20th, 2017 at 18:49.
Old September 20th, 2017, 20:53
Executive Member

Got them verified. It has been like 15 years since I played around with Linux. Last one I used was Mandrake so a lot has changed. Did not have to verify back then I guess it was too new. Yeah I know I need a separate partition to run this on. That is the next step. Not sure if I want to just repartition the C drive or install another HD all together. How much room is needed for Linux? I have about 650G on the C drive with that drive being mainly for Window operating system.

Old September 20th, 2017, 22:09
Executive Member

OMG!!! You have plenty of space!!! I had a hard drive (325 gig) that ever even barely used even a SLIVER of the space on it.......I am not sure why anyone needs these HUGE hard drives? 100 gig's would last me a lifetime!!!!

And THAT is probably 1000 times larger, than what the Space Program used back in the 60's, to land on the Moon!!!!

Last edited by Led; September 20th, 2017 at 22:21.
Old September 22nd, 2017, 20:10
Executive Member

So got Mint loaded and dual boot working so it is now just playing around with it. I did notice on the login screen the cursor is kind of jerky.

Old September 25th, 2017, 19:21
Executive Member

Happy things are working out well!! I ONLY am using Mint LMDE now. Yes.....a vivid learning curve.......but I just HATE Windows!!!!

Old September 27th, 2017, 19:10
Executive Member

Since I have not heard back, you yourself may be somewhat bewildered on how Linux works.......DON'T be discouraged!!!

Consider it the ultimate FREEDOM OS.....YOU need to tell it, what it needs to do for YOU......a LOT of searching for info, on the web is needed......

Instead of Windows telling you, what they THINK you need!!! As I said, it is a learning curve, since most of us grew up on Windows.........
Old September 27th, 2017, 20:29
Executive Member

Sorry about the non reply. Yeah it is a bit of a learning curve since it has been 15 years since I messed around with it. So far got a few windows programs to work. Must say it is way easier the work with then back then.

Old September 29th, 2017, 19:31
Executive Member

Well..........whatever you do on Linux, DO NOT be tempted to use "Bleachbit" to "clean your OS......

It will turn it into a brick. Even if it does still work, it will be slow as all get out, because you deleted all the cache files to load things fast.........

Speaking from MUCH experience! Linux does not need cleaning out, like Windows does.......

Last edited by Led; October 5th, 2017 at 16:58.
Old September 29th, 2017, 19:55
Executive Member

Good to know, Thanks

Old October 28th, 2017, 19:45
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah1g View Post
Good to know, Thanks
So hows Linux going for you?? Aside from any Windows developed programs working on it......I LOVE IT!!!!