Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Rimfire and Blackpowder

Old July 22nd, 2016, 09:49 PM
Executive Member

Default Pedersoli 1859 Sharps .54

Got this about a month ago.

https://postimg.org/image/rqyfsjyip/
"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race." -Edmund Ruffin *
At a little creek called Bull Run, we took their starry rag...to wipe our horses down with, and I ain't here to brag.

Last edited by PlowboysGhost; August 25th, 2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old July 24th, 2017, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Pedersoli 1859 Sharps .54

My now late friend gave me one of those several years ago when his health started to fail. It's a real shooter. I miss him but he's with me when I shoot.
Old July 24th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Executive Member

Thumbs up Re: Pedersoli 1859 Sharps .54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlowboysGhost View Post
Got this about a month ago.

https://postimg.org/image/rqyfsjyip/
NICE!
Old July 24th, 2017, 09:49 AM
Your Friendly Kraut
Administrator

Wow. That's in fine shape.

Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby...
Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

SAC WILL BE BACK!

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!
Old July 27th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Walther View Post
Wow. That's in fine shape.
It was brand new in that pic.

Not long after I got that, I also picked up a new old stock .577 Euroarms JP Murray Confederate carbine from Dixie Gun Works when it was on sale.

To make a long story short...I didn't like all the misfires I got with the Sharps. That long flame channel makes two 90-degree turns and even when cleaned religiously,using hot caps and real black powder, proved so unreliable that I didn't think it reliable enough to deer hunt with.

I traded the Sharps off for a Pedersoli P53 Enfield .577 that was bought new about the same time I bought the Sharps, so they were both manufactured the same year and both in like new condition. I took the Enfield to the woods on opening morning and I'm still making chili out of that buck.

Here's a (way too dark) video of that Sharps. I got one misfire because that factory nipple seemed like it was too short, resulting in a cap that wasn't hit completely. I put a new Pedersoli nipple on it and it fixed that problem, but even with disassembly of the breech block, thorough cleaning and drying, I still wasted a lot of caps with no bullet launched.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race." -Edmund Ruffin *
At a little creek called Bull Run, we took their starry rag...to wipe our horses down with, and I ain't here to brag.
Old July 27th, 2017, 06:59 PM
Your Friendly Kraut
Administrator

Thanks for the video. That was very informative. I have a very limited knowledge of rifles and handguns before the revolver and lever action rifle was invented.

Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby...
Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

SAC WILL BE BACK!

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!
Old July 27th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Executive Member

Hope it's not bad form for me to post my own videos.
Old August 12th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Executive Member

Was the reliability issue a problem back in the day with the original Sharps?

Zombies man...they creep me out. - Dennis Hopper
Old August 12th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Executive Member

Icon36 Re: Pedersoli 1859 Sharps .54

I think it would have to be to some degree, especially in battle where you didn't have time to clean it very often. Of course there were lulls in the action where one would have the time to clean it...of course if you weren't camped in the saddle and moving.

The original Sharps had a slightly different breechblock design from the Pedersoli. While Pedersoli makes a top quality reproduction, they also incorporated a slight change to the flame path through the block. Both used a design which required the flame to make two 90-degree turns before it reaches the chamber, but pedersoli adopted a N-SSA improvement utilizing an o-ring behind the breechplate and a replaceable cone so that when worn larger by years of firing, it can be replaced to minimize chamber gas leakage.

In doing so, Pedersoli made the flash hole in that cone smaller than the original design and every other reproduction. I fixed mine after that video by slightly enlarging the hole with a tiny drill bit.

Afterwards, it was good to go.

The only original I've ever seen in person had a larger flash hole at that point, so I expect it has less misfires for that reason, but likely more chamber gas/pressure leakage.

The other difference was the originals, I believe, had an automatic cap feeder devise incorporated so that you didn't have to dig for a cap every shot.

I've had more than one percussion Sharps, and I like them, but to be honest, I'd prefer a rifle or a carbine strapped across my back for the dismounted fights. My P53 Enfield is a little long for that at 55", but it's doable. My J.P. Murray at 39.5" is the perfect length...and those two front stuffers (both .577 cal) hit hard and go boom every time.

Last edited by PlowboysGhost; August 12th, 2017 at 03:05 PM.