Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Main Battle Rifles

Old February 9th, 2018, 17:56

Default Remote sentry

In my quest for belt-fed rifles I happened across the 1919A4. It's super bulky, heavy and while it may do what I'm looking for I have to wonder why our military hasn't deployed these tools as I think they should be implemented.

The price is acceptable 2500, but you are limited to 2 per purchase for some reason. To my knowledge there isn't any law against early warning and area deniability. I have seen these in action and wasn't impressed because the accuracy isn't what I would expect from any firearm.

The RPD might end up being the weapon of choice for this experiment. I'm not thinking unattended but a simple function of 1) Identify, 2) Alert, 3) track and then if the operator so decides 4)Eliminate. Great for uninvited wildlife.

When looking into the control systems for a rifle, I just ran across an article that indicates our military is using live fire "Robots". I'm not talking about using an unmanned station that thinks for itself. I want to design a cover system that will protect vulnerable areas.

http://www.defenseone.com/technology...-shoot/145854/

Last edited by Harlock; February 10th, 2018 at 09:48. Reason: Turns out the army is using "ROBOTS"
Old February 10th, 2018, 13:59
Contributor

Default Re: Remote sentry

Most of the 1919's being sold are mostly in 308/7.62 as they were made from surplus Israeli kits that were sold in the US. There were some sold in 8mm also when the market was flooded with cheap 8mm.

As to 1919 vs RPD, I went with the RPD as it is lighter and ammo is cheap. Also unless you have the rare bipod kit for the 1919 you pretty much need to have it pintle mounted on a vehicle or on a separate tripod which runs from $450-600 just for it.

The problem with the RPD's is availability. DSA is almost sold out. Vector quit making them a couple of years ago, and the owner of Project Guns is retiring. 'Rumor' has it that Project Guns has been sold and I do not know if the new owner has both the knowledge and urge to keep making RPD's.
Old February 10th, 2018, 19:17
Executive Member

There is a kit "out there" to convert the 1919 to 7.62x39.

BIDHOP
Old February 11th, 2018, 04:06
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlock View Post
)...........Eliminate. Great for uninvited wildlife............
Uuuhhmm...you're wanting to set up a belt fed machine gun to ELIMINATE uninvited Hummingbirds, Chipmunks and maybe the occasional Coyote? Is that correct? Why? And besides: The wildlife lives here. We humans are the ones who moved into their areas uninvited!
Old February 11th, 2018, 11:30

Well, not a machine gun a semi-automatic message delivery service. It needs to be un-attended hence the belt feed. Could be useful as a replacement for a border patrol agent? Honestly they should just mine the border between two chain link fences. I think there is something like that on the border between north and south Korea.

Last edited by Harlock; February 11th, 2018 at 19:57. Reason: words change meaning For was OR by accident
Old February 12th, 2018, 00:08
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlock View Post
Well, not a machine gun a semi-automatic message delivery service. It needs to be un-attended hence the belt feed. Could be useful as a replacement for a border patrol agent? Honestly they should just mine the border between two chain link fences. I think there is something like that on the border between north and south Korea.
Your original post sounded like you;re wanting to set this thing up around your area, not down on the border. "Unattended"? Sheesh!!! And no: I don't think there is anything like that on the 82nd Parallel anywhere in the Korea's!
Old February 12th, 2018, 01:53
Executive Member

Icon36 Re: Remote sentry

I once watched a show where they set up a remote control rifle for a disabled Vet, it had a TV camera and joystick control so the wheel chair vet could track and fire when the cross hair was on the deer . The gun was in a tree stand and the Vet was at some distance in an RV.
It might have been some Wounded Warrior thing but I disremember now.
"Then out spoke brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate. To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods"