Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Discussion > General Discussion

Old January 15th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Contributor
Moderator Token Forum Zombie

Thumbs up AR-15 30rd Magazine Dowloadable CAD Files

This site has the downloadable CAD files/codes/software to print 30 round AR-15 magazines with 3D printers. From what I'm reading they will soon have other AR parts files. The reason for the site is that another site that had this software to print AR parts took it all down. So this site was built for sharing those files.

Personally I would download these files and store them on my computer or a flash drive. These things could become invaluable.

AR-15 - 30 Round Magazine

I know very few of us have a 3D printer, but there are places that rent access to them. There are also businesses starting to pop up around the country that will let you rent time on their 3D printers. If you have these files you can rent the time, pay for the material, then print off your parts. In this case your parts would be 30 - Round Mags.

Here's their About page that explains some about the site:

Quote:
About:

Welcome to DEFCAD, operated by Defense Distributed. This site is a makeshift response to Makerbot Industries’ decision to censor files uploaded in good faith at Thingiverse, specifically firearms-related files.

We are hosting as many of the pulled files as we can find.

We’re not sure how this site might fit into Defense Distributed’s efforts, but know that THIS place, if there will be no other, IS a home for fugitive information. No object file will be censored unless it is malicious software. When we say freedom of information, we mean it.

The site was created quickly. The site in its current state likely does not reflect the ideal of Defense Distributed.

While we develop this site, please send STLs and other CAD files you have that may be related to the site’s purpose to crw@defdist.org.

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited by Reb; January 15th, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Contributor

Default Re: AR-15 30rd Magazine Dowloadable CAD Files

PS. You'll have to order the springs from Brownells or somewhere. If you'll read on the site they tell you what the part number is for the springs that fit.

Old January 15th, 2013, 01:18 AM
36th TFW Bitburg, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reb View Post
PS. You'll have to order the springs from Brownells or somewhere. If you'll read on the site they tell you what the part number is for the springs that fit.
I'm sure glad I bought a couple dozen rebuild kits for AR 30 rd mags about a decade ago.

Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Executive Member

Thanks Reb. Would love to find a database for other mags as well.
Old January 15th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Executive Member

I just got back from a machine shop that makes injection molds for all kinds of polymers, from plastic electronic device housings, to tools, to Nike shoe soles. They can make a mold that will do high quality polymer magazines (no springs which would be an entirely separate issues) for around $45-$50K

The mold would be a particularly high grade steel and be able to go through over a million mold processes in its expected lifetime. The injection molding equipment itself is not that costly and available in any given large city.

Lead time is 8-10 weeks, but once you own the molds, the magazines are $2-$3 each plus springs which can be made in any metal fabrication shop.

What I have in mind is a short 10 shot AR mag design which allows you to replace the floorplate with different types of extensions, or a design which replicates the Beta C mag tower, but with just a bottom plate type assembly that makes it a 10 shot mag, or extended bottoms that make for different stick mag capacities, even widebody mags like the Surefire mags. The idea is that a simple mag without the mechanical parts of the full-on Beta C mag feed system would act as a replacement feed tower for existing c mags, and then with even the 20 or 30 shot bottom, it is legally a preban hicap, and could later be updated to the beta platform at a later date, since we can put a plate in the mold which dates the magazine tops.

Regardless of the laws that go into effect on end product, the laws are not anticipated to affect the production equipment, and by not having all of the production equipment parts even in the same building, nobody is guilty of having banned hicaps until an end user puts the components together.

Either that, or we buy the rights to build molds for the Tango-down magazines and skip the R&D process.
Old January 15th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Executive Member

I'm not worried about running out of AR mags, but pistol mags will be the hard thing.

This is a great resource though. While 3D printers are expensive today, the price will inevitably drop.
How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Contributor

Just saw this that refers to those CAD files:

Old January 16th, 2013, 03:05 AM

Well this pretty much will put an end to Gun Control in 10 to 15 years. The technology and files and printers will continue to become better, cheaper, and more available. I wonder if this explains the sudden interest by Gun Control activists with controlling ammunition?
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. - KJV 2 Cor 3:17

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. - MLK

Molon Labe

Hate is no substitute for love, nor passion truth.
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:48 AM
Executive Member

Are you people JOKING!?!? Did mankind's ability to put seeds in a pot of dirt put an end to Marijuana prohibition just a few years after it was enacted?

Did the average American hardware store hacksaw put an end to controls on short barreled shotguns after 1934?

This has nothing to do with "stopping guns", it has to do with criminalizing gun ownership and increasing the power and reach of the prison-industrial complex.
Old January 16th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Executive Member

The only thing this may possibly put an end to is the 3D printer industry.
Or at the least there may very well be strict regulations placed on the printers and supplies.
> Background checks to purchase a printer.
> ID, and possibly a permit required to buy printer supplies.
> A log book to record items printed.
> Open door inspection policy for printer owners.
The government isn't going to allow this to proceed unfettered.
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:56 PM

Let me clarify myself - did not mean that they would give up criminalizing guns - just that like pot is ubiquitous in our society - guns will remain so with this technology.

I think as people keep pushing the boundaries of freedom and technology that it will hopefully eventually overwhelm the states ability to monitor and to effectively restrict or control.

At the point where the general public sees it as useless and stupid then laws fall. Pot will be legal in the next couple of decades - though personally I have no interest in it. YMMV
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. - KJV 2 Cor 3:17

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. - MLK

Molon Labe

Hate is no substitute for love, nor passion truth.
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
At the point where the general public sees it as useless and stupid then laws fall. Pot will be legal in the next couple of decades - though personally I have no interest in it. YMMV
I made the same prediction about 25 years ago, which will tell you exactly how good I am at predictions.

Old January 18th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Executive Member

Springs inbound. That means I will NEVER have access to a printer, and the springs will be sold later for pennies on the dollar. At least they'll be in circulation, I suppose...