Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Long Range and Sniper Rifles

Old March 8th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Executive Member

Icon41 LONG RANGE SCOPE SHOOTERS..HELP NEEDED ON SCOPE CHOICE

Greetings, i have my new rifle, rem 700 sps in 308, now i am down to two scope choices. my shooting will be out to 700 yds and i will be shooting deer n hogs hopefully.
'my budget allows on so much for this glass, i am down to trijicon accupoint tr23 5-20x50 and the new vortex viper pst 4-16x50 ffp...i can not determine if the trjicon is a FFP scope or not. any help is appreciated,,thanks

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

excuse typos,
Semper Fi,
Shawn
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Executive Member

Default Re: LONG RANGE SCOPE SHOOTERS..HELP NEEDED ON SCOPE CHOICE

I've heard nothing but good on the Vortex Viper. How they compare to those scopes costing $2000, I have no idea but the odds on my ever spending that much money on a scope are about like my winning the lottery. I use a plain old Leupold VX-2 3X9 on my .308 but never shoot past 400 yards either. Been considering going up to a 4x12 0r 4.5X14 lately, this being for target ID more than anything. (we have a three point on one side rule for deer)

Careful who you kick on your way up, they'll kick you twice on your way down!
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Illini Sniper

If you have a .308 rifle and are shooting with a 3 by 9 variable scope out to 400 meters or so. I would zero my rifle for 200 meters. Now, the key question from this point on is: Does you scope have or is it set up with a ballistic cam in .308/7.62 NATO? If not you will need to experiment a lot...

Most scopes don't automatically come with a ballistic cam. Others come with certain variable scopes set up for different calibers. Many 3 by 9 scopes have a cam in them for use with 30.06 hunting ammo. Some come set for .223/5.56 bullets. Still others just magnify as you increase the power setting. So you need to find out exactly what your scope can and will do for you.

If everything is to your ballistic liking, zero at 200 yards/meters. This means that your scope is dead on at 200 meters so you know exactly where your shots will hit at that distance with high quality ammo. If you have to shoot at something less than 200 yards away, you aim lower on the target a bit. If the target is beyond 200 meters, say 300 meters away, then you increase the power of the scope 1 magnification or go to 4 X. At about 400 yards/meters you use 5 X. That should pretty well keep your shots just about dead on the money for any hunting needs. The keys here are getting a really good zero with a good scope using high quality ammo or really good reloads.

http://www.snipercountry.com/hottips/Ballistic_Cams.htm

http://www.opticsplanet.com/msgboard/about9-8866.html

http://www.chuckhawks.com/mil-dot_scopes.htm

Any way, that's one way to do things and ponder a bit.
Old March 15th, 2012, 03:11 PM
The Surgeon

No the trijicon is not FFP.

If you are going to buy a tactical optic, zero it for 100 yards. Zero stop the scope with a few clicks to spare to take the elevation down for closer targets.
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Administrator
Keeper of Ammo

I'm basically scope dumb. I zero and shoot through them without much trouble.
I've had a Simmons variable on my AR 50 for about seven years and shoot 1000...600...and 200 yards. And score.
Cost? $99.00 cash.

USMC 1959/1963
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Executive Member

My favorite all around riflescope had been the old Colt 4X for my very first AR, but I had put it on an A2 pattern rifle with the 1/7 twist so that the bullet drop compensator was dead nuts accurate. It was intended to be for the squad level military snipers but never got issued that way.

I had a Baush & Lomb fixed power 10X mildot scope on one of my sniper rilfes that I actually never got to use, but the feds gave the scope back on the court order but kept the rifle. It was arguable which was worth more since the scope cost around $1600 new. I actually still have that scope, never sold it but at this point I could be talked out of it.]

The other ones I like although I understand they are not the best are the Dragunov scopes. I recently came accross a 3-9 model in a trade, with the pawn shop owner thinking the reticule lamp was bad. i found some of the right batteries for it and it works fine. I could probably be talked out of that one too at the right price.
Old March 31st, 2012, 01:19 AM
C. M. Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddot View Post
Greetings, i have my new rifle, rem 700 sps in 308, now i am down to two scope choices. my shooting will be out to 700 yds and i will be shooting deer n hogs hopefully.
'my budget allows on so much for this glass, i am down to trijicon accupoint tr23 5-20x50 and the new vortex viper pst 4-16x50 ffp...i can not determine if the trjicon is a FFP scope or not. any help is appreciated,,thanks

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---
If these are the two scopes that you have basically settled between, I would recommend the VV 4-16x50 for the .308. I would also recommend zeroing at 200yds,(min), and 400yds,(max) for a common target range of 700yds. The .308 will reach out to 1200yds with stopping power and a zero of about 200yds-400yds will still let you reach down under 200yds with most retricles.

I do have to say that I'm not very familiar with either scope,(I haven't used either). Do either of the above scopes offer an AO?

You didn't say what type of retricle either scope has or offers. (I personally prefer Mil-Dots for the varied ranges I discribe above. once you get your head into the "Mil-Dot-Mindset" you'll most likely be spoiled for life to other rets).

IMHO

Michael