Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Discussion > Legislative Action

Old July 29th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Icon41 GOA - Fast & Furious Hearing Sending Shockwaves towards White House & Eric Holder

Fast & Furious Hearing Sending Shockwaves towards White House & Eric Holder

Thursday, 28 July 2011 20:36

The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee conducted another hearing this week on Fast and Furious -- the operation spearheaded by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) which knowingly put thousands of guns into criminals’ hands.

Tuesday’s hearing exposed the anti-gun animus of several people within the Obama Administration, and their answers continued to beg the question: Was Operation Fast and Furious all about drumming up more support for gun control?

Gun Owners of America met with three persons from the House committee prior to the hearing. The meeting was “off the record,” so we can’t report on the details. Only to say, GOA brought up a hard-and-fast link between the White House and “Fast and Furious” -- and encouraged committee members to pursue a line of questioning that would publicly expose this connection.

We were pleased to see that Representatives did just that. Here’s what Tuesday’s hearing revealed for the record:

1. The White House WAS BEING BRIEFED by Fast and Furious manager Bill Newell. In fact, a “smoking gun” email establishing the clandestine link between ATF Agent Newell and the White House begins with Newell saying: “You didn’t get this from me ….”

2. ATF agents DID KNOW that “Fast and Furious” guns were going to Mexico. During much of the hearing, ATF Agent Newell denied this, but intense questioning by Pennsylvania Republican Patrick Meehan revealed Newell’s lie. The fact is, Newell and others DID KNOW that Mexican cartel bosses were expecting to get illegal firearms funneled into Mexico.

3. ATF agents have been deceptive when they claimed that Operation Fast and Furious was going to provide information for Mexican authorities to prosecute drug kingpins south of the border. Cross-examination revealed that Mexican authorities already knew who the drug kingpins are and that ATF did not share any information with Mexico that would help them bring down these cartels.

4. Under oath, ATF agents admitted that Fast and Furious was a TOTAL break with their normal standards and procedures. Normal police work would mean arresting straw buyers and “flipping them” -- in other words, turning them against their superiors and bringing down the higher-ups in the smuggling ring.

But Fast and Furious involved a complete break with this strategy, in that gun smugglers were allowed to “go free” -- even to the point where the guns were smuggled south of the border and permanently “out of sight” of ATF agents (or Mexican authorities, for that matter). Indeed, one straw buyer bought some 720 guns for his bagman.

So the question is: Why would an anti-gun administration knowingly let guns get into the “wrong hands”? They claim the purpose was to help take down drug cartels in Mexico.

But given the fact that ATF was not sharing information with Mexico … and that they were TOTALLY breaking with standard law-enforcement procedures … and that they knew that “Fast and Furious” guns were winding up at crime scenes in Mexico … another more likely explanation is raising its ugly head.

The better explanation is that anti-gun officials in the Administration were trying to bring disrepute upon our Second Amendment freedoms and that this would lead to calls for more gun control.

Remember Rahm Emanuel’s famous line: “Don’t let a crisis go to waste?”

Well, it seems that the Obama Administration was doing whatever it could to create a crisis that would supposedly show that most of the Mexican crime guns were originating in U.S. gun stores.

The Washington Times picked up on this obvious motive earlier this month:

The White House often claimed that 90 percent of the weapons used in Mexican crimes had been traced to the United States, but the number has never been substantiated. By all appearances, Fast and Furious delivered statistics to back up the figure. (“Too fast, Too Furious,” July 13, 2011.)

Apparently, the ATF was not the only organization involved in Fast and Furious. Tuesday’s hearing confirmed that the Drug Enforcement Administration, Internal Revenue Service and Immigration and Customs Enforcement were all involved.

In other words, Fast and Furious was a giant operation being run out of the Justice Department. And that means that all roads are starting to point to Attorney General Eric Holder.

As stated by House Oversight and Government Reform Committee chairman Darrell Issa:

How is it that the Number Two, Three, Four at Justice all knew about this Program but the Number One [Attorney General Eric Holder] didn’t? Is it because he said “don’t tell me”? Is it because they knew what they were doing was wrong and they were protecting their boss? Or is it just that Eric Holder was so disconnected ….

Either Holder is lying about the fact he didn’t know early on about Fast and Furious or he is inept. Either way, Eric Holder needs to step down.

We asked you earlier this month to urge your Senators to call for Holder’s forced retirement. It’s now time to communicate this to the House.

ACTION: Ask your Representative to call for Eric Holder’s resignation. And don’t forget to circulate this alert to your pro-gun family and friends.

http://capwiz.com/gunowners/issues/a...ertid=52311501
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:51 PM
fal3

Default Re: GOA - Fast & Furious Hearing Sending Shockwaves towards White House & Eric Holder

All this investigation drama is very nice. BUT, it does absolutely NOTHING to change the current situation ! Rep. Issa has suggested that Contempt of Congress charges be placed against DOJ Holder, but that's because the fat egos of these congressmen got run over when the DOJ stonewalled on getting documents to them. (How dare they !) The fact of the matter is, that the DOJ and BATF did illegal operations, and should be prosecuted in criminal courts.

It would take very little for Issa and his Committee to take all their very good documentation to the DA, and insist that charges be placed against these federal employees. But, you hear absolutely NOTHING being even suggested. I know, I know, they have said many times on TV interviews that the citizens of America should let their feelings be known. But, they know as well as most intelligent citizens that what the American citizen thinks means absolutely nothing to these elitists. The American people want a balanced budget. They want ObamaCare overturned. They want less spending. Do these people REALLY care what we think ?

This hearing is another attempt by the Congress to appease people. To let "the people" know that they are doing something--when, in fact, they aren't.

There are SO MANY laws that have been broken throughout the DOJ and BATF, yet the main characters were just given promotions last week. Did any Congressman stop it ? Was there legislation even suggested that would halt such rewarding of criminal behavior ? No !

Until I see actual criminal charges being placed against the perps of this illegal operation, I will still hold to the view that the Congressional Committee doing the investigation is just as corrupt as those they are investigating.

Last edited by fal3; August 23rd, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Executive Member

Default Re: GOA - Fast & Furious Hearing Sending Shockwaves towards White House & Eric Holder

The Mexicans are (rightly) ticked off about the entire situation and have enough of a bodycount on their side of the fence to hold their own prosecutions. I say we just "look the other way" when the Federales grab several of the ATF officials and haul them off to Mexican prison, and then decide that the US government has "other important priorities" when it comes to securing their release.

The Mexican government could arrange for the Fast and Furious crowd to be held in a special prison that meets standards appropriate for those officials. Me, Bladerunner, Havoc, FalSarge, maybe even Mark Koernke can head down and get a job as prison guards in Mexico just to make sure those ATF and DOJ officials get treated appropriately. Yeah, real appropriately.
Old September 5th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Me, Bladerunner, Havoc, FalSarge, maybe even Mark Koernke can head down and get a job as prison guards in Mexico just to make sure those ATF and DOJ officials get treated appropriately. Yeah, real appropriately.
Your hired.
Old December 18th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Ambush

If I had the money I would offer a big reward, or full retirement bennies to any and all agents dropping a dime on holder and company!
That scumbag needs prison!
Old December 19th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
If I had the money I would offer a big reward, or full retirement bennies to any and all agents dropping a dime on holder and company!
That scumbag needs prison!
Which also 100% explains why NONE of the big conservative think tanks or political organizations, none, zero, zip, nada are offering an alternate "golden parachute job" to those agents who are blowing the whistle.

Not one conservative think tank, private university, private law firm (a lot of those agents have law degrees), not one county Sheriffs department which pays comparably to what the feds pay (many counties actually pay better). Show me a state level AG anywhere, in any state who says he will give a job to a Justice Department employee who will turn against Holder. Come one, a single Republican AG with any nutsack at all...

You know why they don't come up with that? Why the AZ state AG would not pay for someone to turn on the current Justice Department and straighten things out? Because they are all the same breed, in the same game, and figure they are better off with operations like Fast and Furious succeeding in taking away freedoms and filing up prisons with petty "gun crimes" instead of the plain common sense that none of those dealers would have been selling so many guns to so many shady characters (especially multiple gun transactions) if the feds did not explicitly say they got things covered. I know because heck, I have broken more than a few gun laws for fun and profit myself, but truckloads on paper to a cartel middleman? HELL NO, some people call me crazy, some people call me stupid, but I really try not to be crazy and stupid at the same time, and from the sound of it, those dealers who were smart enough to start recording their meetings with the feds verified that the feds were in on it. Note however, those guys are no good at keeping secrets. You know damn well they gossiped with their local LE contacts too, and most of those shops will have at least one "retired" cop and or reserve cop of one sort or another working there. No way an operation that big could have been much of a secret, and the fact that other LE groups are not howling too loudly about it tells me that even the ATF agents who were deep in this thing got enough of the "goods" on other LE people's involvement that they can force them to shut up or go down with the captain if they allow their boat to sink.

Looks to me like the "thin blue line" is a mile wide on this one. They knew the mission and seem to be having a lot of "professional courtesy" in allowing the retaliation against those few whistleblowers to have full effect.

In other realms of government work, if some whistleblower say, school teacher is making a lot of noise in one district, then suffers administrative retaliation, then someone in another district under the control of an opposing political faction will arrange for the whistleblower to get a comparable job and then allow plenty of resources and time off for the whistleblower to pursue the wrongful termination or harassment lawsuits or whatever. Very common practice when the leftists start backing each other up on those gay rights and sex harassment cases.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:26 AM
Executive Member

Breaking news on this for those who don't already know:

Justice Department and ATF senior officials are pleading the fifth, and staying in office:

http://www.gunauction.com/news/artic...to-Testify.cfm

DOJ Official Asserts Fifth Amendment Right in Refusing to Testify in Probe of Operation Fast and Furious PDF Print E-mail

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Patrick Cunningham, the chief of the criminal division in the Arizona U.S. Attorney's office, has informed the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee that he intends to exercise his fifth amendment right not to incriminate himself next Tuesday at his deposition. Cunningham's response, made through his lawyer, to a subpoena issued by the committee is extremely rare. More alarming is how broad Cunningham intends to rely on the Fifth Amendment. His lawyer has informed the committee that the only information Cunningham would provide is his name and title at the Department of Justice.

House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa issued the following statement:

"The assertion of the fifth amendment by a senior Justice official is a significant indictment of the Department's integrity in Operation Fast and Furious. The former head of the ATF has previously told the committee that the Justice Department is managing its response to Operation Fast and Furious in a manner designed to protect its political appointees. This is the first time anyone has asserted their fifth amendment right in this investigation and heightens concerns that the Justice Department's motivation for refusing to hand over subpoenaed materials is a desire to shield responsible officials from criminal charges and other embarrassment.

"Coming a year after revelations about reckless conduct in Operation Fast and Furious were first brought to light, the assertion of the fifth amendment also raises questions about whether President Obama and Attorney General Holder have made a serious and adequate response to allegations raised by whistleblowers. Did Attorney General Holder really not know a senior Justice Department official fears criminal prosecution or is this just another example of him hiding important facts? The committee will continue to demand answers."

The only legally valid reason for asserting the fifth amendment is fear that testimony could aid one's own criminal prosecution. In his response to the Committee, Cunningham's lawyer rejected assertions made by other senior Justice Department officials in Washington that his client held key responsibility for reckless tactics in Operation Fast and Furious and false information provided to Congress.