Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Junior Shooters

Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Icon21 A good day for the little guys.

I took the two older Grandsons to the range today. Their Mama came along. Note that she had to. I'm not going to take a twelve year old and a nine year old to the range by myself if there is more than one firearm coming along, and there were about seven, actually.

Once I get pictures downloaded and uploaded, I'll show you what a nine year old looks like when he got to pull the trigger on a Maadi. He's hooked.

He's a bit small to shoulder it yet, and Grandpa had to help, but he really got a kick out of it anyway. (He's doing fine with the .22's, both rifle and pistol.)

His big brother and his Mama wore my 7.62x39 out again. But it was money well spent.

Old November 24th, 2011, 03:41 AM

Icon36 Re: A good day for the little guys.

Yep! Start em young and you got them for life!
I started my nieces 2 kids, boy and girl shooting at 11 & 10. That was about 5 yrs ago. They now both have 2 rifles each and a pistol they share jointly. They shoot regularily. We've been prarie dog hunting and I'm hoping to take them antelope hunting next fall.
They are the only kids in town that have shot 10 or 12 different full autos and a variety of rifles and pistols - except for one of Karls friends who we took with us the 3rd time I had them out.
Sarge
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Default Re: A good day for the little guys.

As promised, pictures.

Master Matthew is a bit short in the reach for my "extended stock" Maadi, which everyone else prefers, so I had to help him out a bit. But he enjoyed shooting it just the same.

Old November 29th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Executive Member

Icon44 Re: A good day for the little guys.

Great pics! Looks like you're having a blast!

I cant wait to get my boy to the range. He's going to be 4 this February. Almost time to start in on some rimfire fun

You can't spell MEAN without ME!
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrazy View Post
Great pics! Looks like you're having a blast!

I cant wait to get my boy to the range. He's going to be 4 this February. Almost time to start in on some rimfire fun

You'll want to get a really short stock .22 of some sort. Mr. Matthew has to have a forward support to hold a Remmy 597 or suchlike on yet.

Note that a standard AK would probably have fit him, but he still couldn't reach the front of that Maadi without putting the stock above his shoulder. And I wouldn't let him do that, because I don't want him getting scared of the recoil.

Running the rear cover into his face would do that, but when Grandpa has a grip on the fore-end, an AK doesn't bounce all that much.

I would not have put him behind anything much stouter. He gets to shoot the Mosquito, the P-22, and the .22 rifles by himself. Anything else?

He shot a Hi-Power, too, but Grandpa had his hand over the slide the whole time, and it was one round at a time.

I don't want to scare the kid off, but a little recoil therapy is good, even at 8 years of age. (His big brother will wear the AK out, as will he a 1911. He's getting behind a Mosin M44 next time he comes up and we go shooting. He's ready to learn what "It kills at one end and wounds at the other" actually means.)

One other point. You will note that everyone in the picture has earplugs in and safety glasses on. As did we all. I only have two pair of safety glasses, so whenever my daughter wanted to shoot, I'd make one of the kids give her theirs while she was shooting. And earplugs are mandatory if I'm on the range. I get them free from work and will gladly pass out a half dozen pair if they don't have them.

Last edited by jefferson101; November 29th, 2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old November 29th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

As noted about the "long stock" thing, see this.

His bigger brother with the Maadi, OTOH? Like this:

Yeah. We all had fun! Grandpa always has fun if he's at the range, even if they are shooting ammo that costs me $10/mag or more.

And I ran some through about five of the seven firearms we took, too.

Old December 1st, 2011, 02:06 PM
Executive Member

I was thinking my 10/22 Charger would be a good start for him. He already calls it "my gun, the one with the eye on it" because it's scoped. I also have one of those Savage Mark II 22lr Bolt Action that would be a good slow starter for him.

Agreed on the eyes and ears! I see too many people out there with nothing just begging for an eye injury and a lifetime of bad hearing.

You're going to have fun introducing the little guy to the M44! I enjoy handing one of those to adults only to have it handed back almost immediately LOL!

Thanks again for the pics!

You can't spell MEAN without ME!