Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Mosins and Mausers

Old August 13th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Default I tried something different to clean a dirty, pitted bore

I acquired a 1942 91/30 mosin nagant a couple years back that was in pretty rough shape and I am finally getting around to doing something with it.

The guy I got it from shot corrosive ammo though it then let it sit for awhile. He said that he squirted windex into it to neutralize the corrosion after shooting it, so he wasn't totally clueless, but he failed to follow up and finish the job. I discuss that further in another thread.

Back when I got the rifle I was just getting ready to deploy and didn't have time to spend on it so I just did a quick cleaning (hot water and bore brush) and then coated the bore with grease to prevent any furthur corrosion. That was two years ago.

I've been trying to get my guns and stuff out of storage slowly and finish projects and stuff and this 91/30 is one of them. I figure the first thing to do is to try to do something with the bore. If it can't be salvaged there's no reason to go any further with the gun, right?

I started by putting a tea pot on the stove to boil water and assembling a cleaning rod with a .30 cal bore brush.

I poured the boiling water down the bore then ran the brush down it with a little dish soap, it was filthy. I did that a few times, following each scrub cycle with hot water.

Next I decided I needed something more aggressive so I got my tub of GOJO with pumice and worked some of it into the brush and did a couple cycles of scrub scrub scrub rinse until the water coming out of the muzzle was clean with no oil sheen. I let the rifle dry for a bit then squirted oil into the bore and ran a new brush down the bore followed by several patches. The improvement was drastic.

Although the the bore is still dark and pitted, the grooves are much better defined and the bore isn't AS dark as it was. Although I wouldn't want to use an aggressive abrasive cleaner on a regular basis, in this case it gave me good results with relatively little work. Now I can go to a regular cleaning regimen to maintain the bore whenever I shoot it.

This isn't the OST agressive method of cleaning that I can think of, that would be reserved for using a brush on a cleaning rod in a drill with rubbing compound.
I've never liked that idea though, because I'm convinced that it puts excessive wear on the lands and doesn't get into the groves (where the majority of the crap is) as well since the bristles are moving perpendicular to the grooves instead of parallel to them.
Old August 13th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Default Re: I tried something different to clean a dirty, pitted bore

I've used automotive finish rubbing compound on a couple of really dark and pitted bores, with mixed success. It worked really good for one of them, and didn't do a thing for the other one.

I've concluded that some of them can be restored, but some are just too far gone. All you can do is to try, but don't get carried away. You won't be able to sell them if you wipe the rifling out.

FWIW.
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:16 PM

I borrowed a rifle for a match that had a nasty, pitted, frosted, dark, fugly bore.

At two hundred yards the rifle shot more accurately than I could hold it.

I bought an old Mauser that cleaned up nicely with bore paste. I've never tried the electolysis method, but lots of guys swear by it.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=31740.0

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=33041

http://www.oldengine.org/members/orrin/rustdemo.htm

Last edited by CAMPYBOB; August 15th, 2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:03 PM

I've run across a couple like that. The best luck I've had was to clean as well as I could and from then on use the shoot & clean method. Put 2 or 3 rds. through it and go thru the correct cleaning process for corrosive ammo, again and again. I had an 8mm Mauser that took over a year to get back into shape and a 1934 Tula 91/30 that has cleaned up surprisingly well over the years. These were rifles that I took to the range just to run a few rds/patches thru each time I went while going thru this process. You can't do this in a day or two, it's just too boring...for me anyway. Btw, I've used the homemade electronic bore cleaners and they do work...at getting the gunk out, but you still need to smooth the bore...the best and safest way I've found is with fresh ammo and good cleaning over a long period of time. Ya gots ta have patience...that's the hardest part for me.
arkyboy
Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Executive Member

Mp--pro 7...short of making an electric cleaner...Mp pro 7 left to sit in a warm bore for an hour followed by and an over-sized new bore brush and patches has worked well for me.

Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Last edited by kARL; September 3rd, 2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARL View Post
Mp--pro 7...short of making an electric cleaner...Mp pro 7 left to sit in a warm bore for an hour followed by and an over-sized new bore brush and patches has worked well for me.

Karl
Amen to this one!

Had a yugo SKS with a real bad dark bore. Did this method to it and recovered the thing for the most part. When I sold it, it was still a great shooter ( for an SKS) and the only thing visible was a small pair of pits mid bore. Nothing to write home to mom about though.

Love MP-Pro7!!!!!! Don;t take a bunch of it either. BEWARE WOOD finishs though! It is a little rough on them!

Tread
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:03 PM
revjen45

It has occurred to me to use a Lee Lead remover with lapping compound. Haven't tried it. Anybody have input?