View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2013, 18:22
Executive Member

Thumbs up Re: Strike anywhere kitchen matches, banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noland View Post
You can't get the good white tipped ones anymore. There is a a crappy replacement version that has a blue or green tip. Calling them "strike anywhere" is stretching the truth past the breaking point. I don't know if it was a ban or if the manufacturers voluntarily changed them.
Well while they aren't exactly the same thing and this is mostly just my opinion but FWIW for the last forty years or so there's a wood match called LIFEBOAT MATCHES or Windproof/Waterproof Matches. The first time I saw these for sale I was at the original REI (REI.com) store in Seattle WA. Push forward 30 years or so and I think they are sold by Stan-Sport Camping Gear. They're lacquered to waterproof them. The match is about 2" to 2 1/2" long and half of the match is actual match. When lit they flare up like normal match only they flare continuously for 3 or 4 seconds. They are quite handy in high wind situations. Compared to Strike Anywhere or Safety wood matches these are IMHO the next best thing to a 15 minute road flare. These Lifeboat type matches used to come in sturdy boxes for durability. They are Safety Matches. They are quite expensive coming at 15 to 25 matches per box. All the same they are handy to have in a Survival Kit or BOB. Just my .02 worth.

I carry a gun cuz IT'S A GOD GIVEN RIGHT.

New Sheriff in town January 20, 2017 Yehaaaaa