Steel cased ammo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel cased ammo

I have decided to stop going to a local range over the issue of steel cased ammo. Every time I go there they ask, "Are you shooting steel cased ammo?" I asked, "Why do you ask?" and they replied how it is dangerous to shoot and causes alot of guns to explode and they won't allow people to shoot it out of a fear of liability and concern for the safety of their customers.

That's B.S., I know, but whatever. I generally don't shoot it, but the last time I went I bought a box of ammo from them in order to get their discounted range fee. It was steel cased. I told them this time, "Yes, I'll be shooting this box of ammo that I just bought. They immediately said, No, you can't shoot that here.

Now this is my gun, not one of their rentals, and if the ammo is so dangerous, why are they selling it? I don't think it's a coincidence that they don't allow you to pick up your own brass. Obviously, they are saving the brass and recycling/reloading it and the steel cases have to be picked out in order to do that.

I wish they'd just be honest, They're either lying to my face or so ignorant that that their entire operation is incompetent. Either way, they lost a customer. I'm going to get a couple dump truck loads of dirt delivivered this fall and build my own range.

Re: Steel cased ammo

Couple dump truck loads.....

I have about 70 yds in my 2 berms & could use a little more. It doesn't go nearly as far as you think. Amazing how when the truck pulls away you look at the pile & say "that's 18 yds?"

I have a used a little for fill & grading, but most is my backstops.

But if you have a good area behind you, you can just use the pile the truck leaves as is. Will be pretty low but it's whatever you're comfortable with. I have at least a half mile behind mine of just woods & my pistol berm is 16' wide & 8' high. My 300yd rifle is 12' wide & 10' high. I'm comfortable with that - at < 50 yds I'm very unlikely to go over an 8' berm & at 300 yds I'm unlikely to go over a 10' berm sine anything fired at that is from a bench. But anything that might be over my 300 yd berm is already on a good downward arc so it isn't going much farther. I let very few people shoot there & never w/o me being there to supervise. I'm more concerned with short shots skipping off the ground & then getting a lot of elevation. Anyway, I think the piles the truck left were about 3-4' high. You'll need a front end loader to get it higher - moving that much by hand would be a long, hard day (or several).

I've been catching the Wolf Gold on sale for $270/case shipped. I don't think that's a whole lot more than steel cased (but don't know since i don't buy that). But at 27 a round I can do a little more shooting & a little less reloading & not feel like I'm wasting $. For FMJ it seems like pretty decent ammo too.

You can't shoot the ammo they sell at their range? Too dangerous to shoot but not too dangerous to sell huh? I've never been to a range that won't allow you to police your own brass. Some won't let you go past a certain point to get it, but anything on the pad & behind the firing line is fine. I think your assessment is spot on - they're selling the brass & don't want to be bothered running a magnet thru it.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I think I know that range..They wont allow reloads even your own fired in your own guns.

karl
      Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

The idea of building my own range is oner I keep coming back to. I have a 20' x 6" pile of dirt back there that I use for occasional plinking. testfires, and 25 M zeros. It is barely sufficient for that purpose and is in the full sun so it makes shooting in the Fl sun unpleasant at times.

My idea is to set my range up so that I have a back stop at the back of my land, then set up shooting stations at 25M, 10M, 200M and 400M. Each station would only be a 2' x 4' bench set into the ground. Shooters would sit at the bench on a 5 gallon bucket or lay prone underneath it.

As you get further away from the berm you have to shoot through the closer benches in order to have a clear shot at the target. The benches would essentially channel all fire into the berm and allow for a much smaller backstop.

I'm thinking that I might wire some old tires together and dump/move the dirt over that to help keep it from washing out. I figure I'll use alot of sandbags on the sides, and eventually the whole thing will be a living biome that I burn off once a year.

Comment

They obviously have a contract with somebody to pick up the brass after everyone's done. No big, but you're right, be honest.
          I have a Right to my Life; I have a Right to the Fruits of my Labor. If you concede the principle of the Income Tax, you concede the principle that the government owns ALL your income and permits you to keep a certain percentage of it.
          ─Ron Paul, interview by Time on Sep 17, 2009.

Comment

I can give you pics of what I built. Basically wooden framework an then dirt piled into/against it. I takes an insane amount of dirt to get it to pile high. Once I got to about 5' high, the dirt stopped piling at all and just spread out wider and wider. That was using a backhoe. Maybe someone who knows how to operate heavy equipment better could do it, but I ended up using a crap ton of 2x4 & 4x4 pressure treated wood and buckets of timber ties to make 3-sided boxes. stacked like Lincoln Logs so it won't hold water. With the wood frame to pile up against and restrict spreading out to the sides it was pretty easy to get the dirt as high as my backhoe bucket will reach and get it to stay there.

Be careful with tires. I've seen a lot of people use them but I don't think it would be difficult to bounce 22lr off a dirt filed tire. Probably not hard to get some slower moving pistol rounds bouncing off either.
            They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X