Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have much experience loading Red Dot or Blue Dot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have much experience loading Red Dot or Blue Dot?

I'm debating adding a couple pounds of either (or both) of them to my stock. I've never used them, but I'm way down into the short rows on #5 and #7, and it doesn't seem that anyone is going to have those in stock any time soon.

I'm looking for something to run up some slightly warmer loads for .357 and .44 Mag and 10mm. Would either Red Dot or Blue Dot be suitable?
    Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Re: Anyone have much experience loading Red Dot or Blue Dot?

Just as general info: Red dot.
    13 grains in any cal 30 any bullet over 150 for rifle practice.
    Cheap and works well. I have not used it in a pistol.
    karl
    Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

Red dot is not for mag loads!

Use Blue Dot.
      Ahab

Comment

Blue Dot works fairly well for hotter 9mm, .40 SW and some medium power .357 loads. I've used it for 10 mm also, again not a bad choice. As there are newer powders such as Lil-Gun and Power Pistol that I like more, I rarely use BD these days.
        "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
        The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Originally posted by paintballmagnet View Post
          Blue Dot works fairly well for hotter 9mm, .40 SW and some medium power .357 loads. I've used it for 10 mm also, again not a bad choice. As there are newer powders such as Lil-Gun and Power Pistol that I like more, I rarely use BD these days.
          I'll look and see if either of those are available.

The point of this whole thing is to come up with a replacement for AA#7, which I can't seem to find in stock anywhere. One of the local pawn shops lost their FFL back about October, and they still have a fair selection of reloading stuff in hand. I am looking to pick something up that they have.

I'm covered up in Unique and 231, either of which will work, should it come to that, but I'd rather have something a bit more agressive for the Magnum calibers, actually.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by jefferson101 View Post
            I'll look and see if either of those are available.

The point of this whole thing is to come up with a replacement for AA#7, which I can't seem to find in stock anywhere. One of the local pawn shops lost their FFL back about October, and they still have a fair selection of reloading stuff in hand. I am looking to pick something up that they have.

I'm covered up in Unique and 231, either of which will work, should it come to that, but I'd rather have something a bit more agressive for the Magnum calibers, actually.

Twenty years ago I had a friend that used Blue Dot for his 44 mag loads and loved it! I shot a cylinder or 10 on bowling pins and it worked REALLY good!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk45 View Post
              Twenty years ago I had a friend that used Blue Dot for his 44 mag loads and loved it! I shot a cylinder or 10 on bowling pins and it worked REALLY good!

It turns out that we had about a quarter-pound of Blue Dot stashed away out at Arkyboy's place. (We've got a lot of stuff stashed that we don't know we have. We bought out about five bunches of reloading supplies, at yard sales and estate sales.....) It's amazing what you can find when you go rooting around.

I will find out how well it works in 10mm, and probably in .40, .357 Mag, and .44 Mag, too.

I now can either buy more or not, depending on how it works.

Comment

Working...
              X