Resizing Lubes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resizing Lubes?

Up until now all I have resized was pistol calibers in carbide dies. Now I want to try some 7.62*39. with linotype cast bullets for **** and giggles. (I have a bucket of old Federal and Winchester brass fired before you could get the steel cased Russian stuff so cheap. The dies are Lee) Anyhow seeing how the dies do not have carbide inserts, I need to use some lube to prevent binding. I have some mica dust, will that work or do I have to order some liquid stuff. Does anything around the house like say WD-40, Quaker State or KY Jelly work as well as the commercial lube. The cases will be tumble cleaned afterwards. Thanks for your help with a rookie.

Why mess around with weird stuff?

Get a rattle can of spray lube designed for resizing...will make life a lots easier.

Tumble your cases BEFORE reloading them!
    Ahab

Comment

What Ahab said
      Most household lubricants will kill primers.
      The spray resizing lubes work well.
      Iv used most brands and they all work about the same.

------------------
      VERITAS VINCIT
      VERITAS VINCIT
      A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Yep, don't mess with success.

I imagine that you have quite a bit invested in that US boxer AK brass, might as well treat it right.

I use the Dillon non-aerosol lube, and it is the cat's pj's.

Comment

Funny that this comes up today...I was resizing some 3.25" brass for my .45-120 black powder cartridge gun (Quigley) just last night and decided to try some of the new stuff (RCBS Case Lube 2) I got to resize with. It caused my brass to have small vertical wrinkles all around the circumference of the brass case about 1" down from the case mouth. After 3 in a row doing this and checking my dies for dirt...etc I went back to the tried and true Hornady one shot spray lube. I have also used the Lyman (white cream in a squeeze tube) lube with no problems. Since I only load up no more than 50 of these bad boys at a time...the time it takes to lube one at a time is not a problem...but for fast easy lubing of a lot of brass use the spray on stuff.

Anyone know why the RCBS stuff was messing up my expensive cases?

G out

------------------
          Molon Labe

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited 22 February 2002).]

Comment

Gunner, I bought some of the RCBS stuff...but the smell/fumes from it--it's HEXANE--had me running for cover before I even tried to resize any brass. I got some of the Dillon's myself...it works really good, and it's just a mixture of alcohol and lanolin...so it's much better for ya to boot.

------------------
            "Is cuma a mhairimse ach ló 'gus oíche, ach clú 'gus cáil ar m'éachtaí."

"Life springs from death; and from the graves of patriot men and women
            spring living nations."
            Patrick Henry Pearse

Comment

Iv used the RCBS Case Lube 2 with no problems so not sure what is happening.
              I usualy use hornady brand because I picked up a case of it cheap at a gun shop that was going out of business.
              Iv never had a problem with it.

------------------
              VERITAS VINCIT
              VERITAS VINCIT
              A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Too much lube or a thicker application of the new lube maybe, also in unfamilliar form could be the problem? A unusual fault gunner- and they take some time to blow out too!

BB
                There is no Spring without Winter, without Mistakes there is no Learning. There is no Life without Death, without Doubts there is no Faith. There is no Peace without War, without Fear there is no Courage. For without Mistakes, Doubts and Fears there are no pathways to Wisdom.
                Ron Owen.

Comment

Re: Resizing Lubes?

I had some military 308 which was too tough for normal lubes. Did quite a bit or reading online and found white lithium grease, find it at a hardware store. Worked great for real tough brass to resize.
                  “I have a Right to my Life; I have a Right to the Fruits of my Labor. If you concede the principle of the Income Tax, you concede the principle that the government owns ALL your income and permits you to keep a certain percentage of it.”
                  ─Ron Paul, interview by Time on Sep 17, 2009.

Comment

Working...
                  X