1 of 4 < >

Check 'Display Signatures' in user area.

If you want to see signatures at the bottom of member's posts, check your user area and make sure this box is checked. The default mode is 'Off'.
2 of 4 < >

Strike Through Text Option now on-line

You may now use the Strike Through option in the post text editor.

There is a square blank button located at the end of the options on the right. I could not get the 'S' to show up, but the button still works.
3 of 4 < >

Reload your Avatars

If you wish to have your avatar visible again you will have to reload it to the board. The old avatars did not transfer to the new file system.

Stay tuned for more.
4 of 4 < >

Contributor Status Titles

Gentlemen, Assault Web greatly appreciated your monetary contributions to keep this forum alive and running as we make the transition to a new server and upgraded software.

I have been working to upgrade title for those members who have made a monetary contribution to the form. Unfortunately, I have been met by some resistance to comply by the forum software and I am unable to make these administrative changes.

Your donations have been duly noted and at such time the forum software is upgraded, so will your status.

The Back Room
See more
See less

Anyone ever actually wore out a 22?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever actually wore out a 22?

First off, has anyone ever heard of actually wearing out a 22lr?

I suspect that it would take more ammo than you have the patience to shoot...or something to that effect. Now maybe target shooters might have something to say about this, but for the rest of us? Nah...

I go through maybe 2-3 boxes, and that's pushing it. I don't "plink" or just blast away without aiming. Mainly because I tend to shoot the more expensive rimfire ammo like CCI velocitors. So maybe 1-2 bricks per year.
    At that rate, I doubt I will ever have to wear out anything.

Copper fouling maybe, but wear out a barrel?
    [edit] Now that I've posted this, I hit google and found a lot of replies to similar questions, and the replies were about what I suspected.
    Last edited by ShifterBits; September 30th, 2012, 04:57.
    Enoch Powell was right!

Re: Anyone ever actually wore out a 22?

Wore out 2 diffrent Hi Standard Sentinal revolvers. Both went out of time and would not lock up correctly. Neither gun was new when I purchased it and both were shot a lot. It took a number of years (5-6 or so)
    and 200-300 round a day.

Also cracked the frame on a Iver Johnson TP-22.

I have a 10/22 barrel with at least 30 thousand rounds through it. It is not as accurate as it used to be, but I think it might be if it had a good crown job on it.

Noland, you just need a new crown. ... Only 22's I've ever seen worn out were either garbage (example: Marlin 60) or worn out internaly (Henry and certain revolvers)... Shifter, you can probably just have the hands replaced.

What Noland and brainard said.

It is almost impossible, given the velocities/heat involved, to wear out a quality .22 LR barrel.

You can 'break' and/or wear out other parts and full-auto abuse is another animal.