Brushed vs Bead Blasted Stainless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brushed vs Bead Blasted Stainless

I stripped the S&W 4006 down to bare frame and slide (except for extractor and sights), replaced all of the remaining springs from Wolff, stoned and polished parts where recommended, and then went a step futher and brushed the slide flats with 220 wet grit. I used a piece of plexiglass to work on. After wetting the sandpaper the Plexiglass makes the sandpaper adhere to it by water vacuum and allows you to pay more attention to the work rather than trying to hold on to the sandpaper and work the piece at the same time. The part is pushed or pulled in one direction only using a straight edge along the bottom edge of the slide to keep the brush marks straight.

This doesn't take long, and after 15 minutes a side I had a nicely brushed stainless finish that looks like my Interarms PPK.

It is difficult to photograph in the light I was using, but the contrast between the brushed finish and bead blast finish is very pleasing to the eye on these third generation Smiths. I did this to my last 4006 too. I think this one turned out better.

Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Re: Brushed vs Bead Blasted Stainless

Nice, I have always liked the classic Smiths. I have a model 39 single stack.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Re: Brushed vs Bead Blasted Stainless

I've been carrying it since I got it. I had forgotten how heavy it is at 3+ pounds with a loaded mag. It's a good kind of heavy though. I like feeling it there on my hip in the Galco holster.

The holster is getting broken in too.

I'm loading the Winchester PDX1 Defense loads in 165gr. From what I gather on the internet, these are the replacement for the dreaded 'Black Talon' rounds that media pressure forced Winchester to cease production.

You can still find the original Black Talon though on Gunbroker from time to time at around $40 a box. Not cheap, but one of the most effective rounds ever designed.

Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Working...
      X