My New S&W 4006

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New S&W 4006

For months now I've had a hankerin' to own my old duty weapon again. It is rare for me to go out and buy an American made handgun as most of you well know. I wasn't crazy about this handgun when I was told that's the only choice the Sheriff's Department authorized, and, I had to buy it myself! I had to buy a handgun I didn't even like and pretend it was the greatest thing since the invention of smokeless powder.

But I grew to love it. I qualified expert during my training with this pistol. It's very accurate and it's very reliable. Two attributes that I'm sure had bearing on the SD's choice of a carry weapon. When I bought mine before training I shot around 1000 rounds without malfunction and then 750 rounds during a 40 hour training period. Left handed, prone, on my back, around corners, etc and not once did it ever give me any doubt about its reliability.

I had forgotten how much of a tank this gun is, and after a 12 hour shift it was like dragging a concrete block around strapped to your hip/leg. But it's reliable!

The one I purchased at the local gun store at the time in 1996 or so was, IIRC, $750+tax. So call it $820 or so. Nowdays they are practically giving these away at ridiculous prices for like-new examples. This one was $400+ $35 to ship and came with only one 11 round mag. I bought two more, a Wolff spring kit, three mag springs, a curved grip, Galco Combat Master holster, and a pair of Hogue grips in case I didn't like the curved grip. It came with the straight grip. I spent roughly another $100 including $68 for the Galco, so not too shabby.

This is a '96-'98 model as it has the machined hammer and trigger, but the hammer is not flash chromed like the '90-'95 models, nor is the hammer and trigger MIM like the '98-'03 models are. It looks much more carried than fired and shows holster wear on the top left of the slide and that's about it. The original straight grip still had most of the points on the checkering with no gouges, nicks, or dents. In fact, I don't know that this was even carried very much with little wear on the bushing or the barrel and a minimum amount of shine on the rail wear points. Just enough that the action is very slick. Approaching that of the P5 and that is saying something. It also points to the excellent tolerances and machine work of these pistols. There is also only the slightest hint of shine on the edge of the slide stop where it would contact the holster and the decocking levers are all still matt bead blasted finish with no shine at all on either side.

I replaced only the recoil spring, hammer strut spring, and all three mag springs because of the unknown history of the 4006. In a few days or weeks I will detail strip the frame and slide and replace the rest of the springs. There is already a noticable difference in the action with only the recoil spring and hammer strut spring replaced. Single action seems to be around 6 pounds +/-, and a very smooth feeling 12-13 pound double action. These triggers are very nice after break in and parts wear together. Very much like revolver-smooth though somewhat heavier in almost all cases.

OK enough of my rambling. Here's the photos.

Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Re: My New S&W 4006

I remember those blue followers... I am STILL annoyed that they dropped the entire line from production.
    Gregory Peter DuPont

Comment

Originally posted by gripper View Post
      I remember those blue followers... I am STILL annoyed that they dropped the entire line from production.
      Hmmmm, ALL of my 11-rnd 4006 mags have yellow followers... Am I missing something?? Or were Blue for the post '94 'Hi-cap LE-only' mags?

mine:

Last edited by Cougar; February 14th, 2018, 00:56.
      Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you!

Comment

There is no difference except color. There are both pre- and post ban mags with both colors. I have two with blue and one with yellow, but they are identical.

I heard there was a different vendor for the followers and they used a different color dye in the plastic.
        Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

That IS a classy,useful piece of steel.
          Gregory Peter DuPont

Comment

FWIW, there are still some 9mm Stainless S&W police trade-ins available! 5906 and 3913s here: https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...ITH-AND-WESSON
            Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you!

Comment

Working...
            X