Taurus Revolver Innovations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taurus Revolver Innovations

I know a lot of folks diss on Taurus, and they got a MAJOR black eye over that polymer semiauto line that seemed to have an issue with accidental discharges, culminating in a recall and a class action suit (Take note, SIG). However, at least in my experience, their revolvers are pretty darned good - I currently own two (actually one is a Rossi), and they are both great.

You have to admit, though, that they are not afraid to innovate.

Their latest offerings include double action revolvers that are multi-caliber via interchangable cylinders. For a year or so they"ve been offering the model 992, which has one cylinder that is chambered for .22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle, but comes with a second cylinder for .22 WMR. They accomplish this by providing each cylinder with its own crane, but then they provide a button just above and forward of the trigger guard (that looks for all the world like a 1911 magazine release) that, when pressed, allows one to withdraw the entire crane/cylinder/ejector assembly out of the front of the frame, and insert the other one. Takes only seconds, no tools required.

For 2018 now I see that they are applying the same concept to a .38 Special/.357 Magnum, with a second cylinder for 9mm Parabellum. Model 692, IIRC.

Pretty cool, huh?
    Freedom Of Speech does not include freedom from consequences.

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.

Re: Taurus Revolver Innovations

I stopped buying Taurus handguns several years ago because of poor workman ship. Every Taurus handgun I had had to be returned to the factory for repairs. The most was 3 times , some two times , the rest one time. Their .22 revolvers, and .22 mag revolvers were terrible. ended up selling all of them at a loss. So you see I don't think I'll trust them again.
    Peter 5:8
    "Be sober, be vigilant; Because your adversary the Devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking who he may devour."

Comment

I've never owned a Taurus .22, so I'll defer to Pete's experience with those specifically.

The Taurus revolvers I've owned (605 .357 Mag and Raging Bull .454) were every bit as well built as any Ruger revolver I've ever owned. Actually, the Taurus revolvers I owned were better timed than any Ruger I've ever owned.

My PT111 (12+1) 9mm is as good (in my opinion and experience) as any Ruger automatic I've ever owned, and less expensive to boot. The same could be said of the PT709 Slim 9mm and the TCP PT738 .380's I've owned.

Some older Taurus products had issues, but Ruger went through spells of shoddy workmanship themselves. I bought a brand new Ruger with undersized chamber throats and a drag ring already around the cylinder, but I've yet to encounter that with Taurus revolvers. Not saying Taurus is "better" than Ruger( I love my daddy's old Super Blackhawk .44) or that Taurus is my first choice in all situations, but I am saying that with regards to some models, Taurus gets an undeserved bad reputation.
      "I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race." -Edmund Ruffin *
      At a little creek called Bull Run, we took their starry rag...to wipe our horses down with, and I ain't here to brag.

Comment

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that .22 caliber revolvers seem to present most of the issues. If you are able to accept a slight tolerance in the timing of the cylinder when it locks into alignment with the cylinder, that amount of misalignment is going to have a larger effect on a .22 inch diameter bullet than it will on a .44 inch diameter bullet.

Also you read on the internet about folks complaining about the trigger pull on their .22 revolvers. But keep in mind that a rimfire will always have a stronger hammer spring than will a centerline, because the hammer has to crush a portion of the cartridge case to ignite the priming compound.

Recently I saw, again on the internet, two people in the same week that reported that their brand new S&W .22 WMR revolvers locked up, i.e. the triggers would not return forward and the cylinders could not be opened in order to unload them. One guy was eventually able to pry the trigger forward with a screwdriver in order to get the cylinder open, and the other guy had to take his to a local Smith to get the cylinder open. Note that they had to.unload them in order to send them back to S&W, as it's a federal crime to ship a loaded firearm. Both of these revolvers locked up before firing all of the cartridge on their very first cylinder full!

Everybody puts out a stinker once in a while.

Maybe I've been lucky, but with my Rossi 971 and my Taurus 65, both .357 Magnums, I seem to have gotten good ones, and the more I shoot them the smoother they get.
        Freedom Of Speech does not include freedom from consequences.

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.

Comment

I believe the product does have issues. If you go to youtube and enter "Taurus Revolver Failure" there are 3370 videos that show some nasty results.

Having owned, shot and sold what I would consider inferior models, I wouldn't recommend them.

I had a 2" detective model .357 and I wanted it because I could shoot 38's problem is it was so inaccurate I could have used a baseball bat with better results.

Traded it to a dealer for a 4" model thinking the ribbed sights and ported barrel would make it work better, it would lock up when trying to use the trigger to shoot, single action it worked but not double.

Sold it and purchased the PT92 and it would jam at random times with stove-pipe rounds. Traded it at a show and never purchased another product from the company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vftq9hNpvBc
          Call me John, just an old man with opinions.

Comment

I have two Taurus revolvers, and neither has ever let me down.

First is a Model 85 (think S&W Mod 60) 5-shot .38 stainless 3" barrel that I bought for the Wife almost 30 years ago. I did a little 'de-cornering' with some Emory cloth to smooth out the sharp edges since I carry it either in a pocket or a IWB holster. Wears a Pachmyr Compac grip. Still to this day my favorite carry gun.

The other is a Mod 96 six-shot .22LR 6". Taurus's answer to the S&W 17 target revolver. Factory target is a six-shot cloverleaf at 15yds. I bought this one (and my Maadi AK) the day before the Clintoon AWB of '94...
            Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you!

Comment

You lost me at 'Taurus'...

the later posted vid of a barrel falling off just added to the validation, which was already abundant and not lacking justification in the slightest

Comment

The guard service/gunrange/store I worked for issued Taurus .38 Special revolvers. I forget the model number. Numerous pistols failed at various times during qualifications.

So many, that I had the Taurus service center address memorized for shipping them out of the gun store. They were cheaper that S&W though and the boss wasn't going to spring for those. Especially considering the caliber of guards they hired and their level of firearms knowledge.

It was always a locked up cylinder. I know little about revolvers so I would never attempt to service them as I would have a semi-auto. The revolvers were issued for both Illinois and Missouri posts because Missouri was a revolver-only state for private guard service (without Law Enforcement training) and some guards got moved around from post to post on both sides of the river.
                Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Working...
                X