Ruger has brought the 9mm SP101 back from the dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ruger has brought the 9mm SP101 back from the dead

The .357 is a superior caliber for sure. It is my favorite handgun round.

I suspect it is very similar to a 9mm when both are fired from a 2 inch revolver, though.

Comment

.357 needs more than two inches to differentiate itself from .38 Special

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/

https://charterfirearms.com/pages/faqs

Can I shoot +P in my .38 revolver?
      Charter .38's are among the smallest revolvers in this caliber. Yes they can handle +P but we do not recommend it for the following reasons:
      +P ammo requires a four-inch minimum barrel to burn the extra powder. Therefore, in a two-inch barrel the extra powder is burned after the bullet leaves the barrel creating more recoil and making it harder to come back to target.
      We recommend a standard velocity load and practice with round nose lead rounds which are the least expensive. When you load for protection, use a jacketed or hollow point in the same grain you practice with.
      I have a Right to my Life; I have a Right to the Fruits of my Labor. If you concede the principle of the Income Tax, you concede the principle that the government owns ALL your income and permits you to keep a certain percentage of it.
      ─Ron Paul, interview by Time on Sep 17, 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Noland View Post
        The .357 is a superior caliber for sure. It is my favorite handgun round.

I suspect it is very similar to a 9mm when both are fired from a 2 inch revolver, though.
        Yeah but a couple important differences, a .357 gives you the choice of .38 special or .357 magnum (or .38 S&W or .38 Colt). Whether there is much difference between .357 and .38 special isn't as nice as having more options. If you run out of .38, you can still use .357 in a gun designed for it. My own LCR is .38, so I obviously don't worry that much about it, but still it would be nice.

There are two other advantages to .357/.38 special. One, you don't have to use moon clips, you could use speed loaders. Two, with factory ammo 9mm is much more likely to experience "bullet jump" because it doesn't have as much of a crimp on it from the factory as .38 or .357 (which are designed for revolver use).
        How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).

Comment

Originally posted by 9th Company View Post
          .357 needs more than two inches to differentiate itself from .38 Special

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/

https://charterfirearms.com/pages/faqs

Your first link shows .38 special as having almost 150 FPS less than .357 magnum, but then you say there is no difference. I have to wonder if the second link is just Charter Arm's round about way of suggesting people not shoot +P ammo in Charter Arms guns....

Real world data might be closer, but still .357 is a bit more powerful. It's probably not worth it given the increased recoil, but having a .357 gives you more options, which is especially important if .357 magnum is all you have on hand.
          How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).

Comment

True there is a small difference in the 2 inch barrels but with longer barrels, the energy curve goes much higher:

I have a Right to my Life; I have a Right to the Fruits of my Labor. If you concede the principle of the Income Tax, you concede the principle that the government owns ALL your income and permits you to keep a certain percentage of it.
            ─Ron Paul, interview by Time on Sep 17, 2009.

Comment

Your first graph goes to 200, the second to 100.

Comment

Originally posted by Noland View Post
                I would like that too.

I like my 3 inch Security Six but it is on the large side of what I want to carry all day.
                You're talking six shot of the SS vs five shot frames. Think J-frame vs K/L-frame S&Ws. BIG difference. The Ruger SP101s are also heftier than the J-frame Smiths. Personally, I have an old 3" Taurus 85 which VERY closely resembles a 3" J-frame Smith. My 'go-to' carry gun. Also note in the charts above the sharp increase in muzzle velocity/energy of a 3" vs 2". With most loads it approaches 50% more energy! All that for not a heck of a lot of 'concealability' from that inch (or .75") of barrel length...
                Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you!

Comment

Working...
                X