Always check about three times.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always check about three times.

I came fairly close to losing a window tonight.

Messing around with some of the handguns, and picked up a P-97, which I was totally sure had no ammunition in it. Cycled the slide, and nothing came out. But it didn't lock open.

Hotay. "Why did it not lock open?"

So I cycle it again.

And yes. It had a full mag in it, and I was fixing to discharge a live round through my Bedroom window.

Happily, the failure to lock back gave me all the warning I needed, and I didn't choot nuffin, but it made me really nervous. One should drop the mag and make sure it's empty before cycling the pistol, shouldn't one?

No harm, No foul, and I didn't do anything stoopid, but it pays to check, and if everything doesn't work exactly the way it should the first time, check again.

Be careful out there, people! Just saying......
    Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Re: Always check about three times.

Wow, something like that happened to someone on the Walther forum with a PPS, but he didn't stop with the slide not locking back. He pulled the trigger on a live round. Through the ceiling/floor and into an upstairs bedroom wall.

Magazine is first in/first out.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Semiauto or full auto drill......drop the mag.........check chamber........

Alcoholic beverages while conducting the above practices, are NOT recommended..........
      And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

All firearms are loaded unless proven otherwise
        Peter 5:8
        "Be sober, be vigilant; Because your adversary the Devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking who he may devour."

Comment

You know what? I've NEVER (Knock on wood, I says, as I tap myself on the head!) had a negligent discharge, but I have to say, it's only been by the grace of God. Back in December I got a pretty large bonus from my company, and I had been lusting after a stainless 6-shot .357 Magnum double-action revolver. I did a lot of due diligence research on the internet, and I decided that I would buy a Taurus (Gasp!) Model 65. Here's a picture just to satisfy prurient interest:

Anyway I was switching back and forth from carrying it, then unloading it and dry-firing it with snap caps to "break in" the trigger. I had, without fail, always opened the cylinder and checked it for snap caps before dry-firing it. EXCEPT FOR THIS ONCE!

I had been sitting in my Lazy-Boy, probably reading or browsing the 'net, when I looked up at the wall clock hanging on the wall opposite. Ones of those jobbies with the pendulum that swings back and forth. The idea bubbled up to the surface of my mind that the pendulum would be a great double-action dry-fire target to work on the old smooth trigger pull. So I picked up the revolver that was laying on the floor next to my chair, picked it up and aimed it at the arc of the swinging pendulum, and squeezed off a PERFECT double action pull with the hammer dropping just as the pendulum swung across the sights.

Then it hit me, like a ton of bricks as the hammer fell in what seemed like slow motion: I didn't check to see if it was loaded with snap caps!

Luckily I was rewarded with a click, and not a BOOOOOMM!

Thank you, God!

I was honestly shaking. Physically ill!

I don't think I'll make that mistake again.

Like the title of this thread says: Always check three times.

(I'd like to add that the Taurus revolver so far seems to be a VERY NICE revolver. Smooth trigger in DA and SA both. Carries up to a tight lock up on all six chambers, looks to be well fitted, and they've been making this particular mode,l with only minor changes, for decades. All of the folks on the 'net that I've found with this model are happy with them.)
          Last edited by Chief351; January 13th, 2018, 10:19.
          Freedom Of Speech does not include freedom from consequences.

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Pete View Post
            All firearms are loaded unless proven otherwise
            Werd.

Comment

Was dating this girl, long time ago, and she always moved my stuff around. One day I had been drinking a bit and grabbed an AK that I "knew" was unloaded and ended up shooting a hole in my wall. Guess the girl had moved stuff....

It was a SAR-2 (5.45mm). Found the exit hole of course, but never found the bullet and never found a ding on the opposite wall. Guess it really did disintegrate.
              How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Shark View Post
                Was dating this girl, long time ago, and she always moved my stuff around. One day I had been drinking a bit and grabbed an AK that I "knew" was unloaded and ended up shooting a hole in my wall. Guess the girl had moved stuff....

It was a SAR-2 (5.45mm). Found the exit hole of course, but never found the bullet and never found a ding on the opposite wall. Guess it really did disintegrate.
                Man,THAT could have been ugly... thankfully, I tend to avoid combining my drink with my weapons handling...for that matter, I seem to barely drink these days.. probably for the better.
                Gregory Peter DuPont

Comment

I was a bit careless one night in lowering the hammer of a single action .45 Colt revolver. A "weak... cowboy action" level load put a hole through the comforter, sheets, memory foam mattress topper, mattress, box springs, carpet, plywood, 1" floor boards, and into the dirt under the house.

One incident out of countless times (quietly)lowering a hammer got my attention.

BTW...this incident involved one of my SAA "clones" that utilize a transfer bar(like all "new model" Rugers use). This type is safe to fully load and carry with six rounds(but obviously still hazardous to lower the hammer on a round due to the fact that the trigger must be held to the rear while doing so), which is why I was lowering the hammer on a live round. My true Colt SAA clones with fixed firing pins on the hammers require an empty chamber under the hammer.
                  "I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race." -Edmund Ruffin *
                  At a little creek called Bull Run, we took their starry rag...to wipe our horses down with, and I ain't here to brag.

Comment

Originally posted by PlowboysGhost View Post
                    I was a bit careless one night in lowering the hammer of a single action .45 Colt revolver. A "weak... cowboy action" level load put a hole through the comforter, sheets, memory foam mattress topper, mattress, box springs, carpet, plywood, 1" floor boards, and into the dirt under the house.

One incident out of countless times (quietly)lowering a hammer got my attention.

BTW...this incident involved one of my SAA "clones" that utilize a transfer bar(like all "new model" Rugers use). This type is safe to fully load and carry with six rounds(but obviously still hazardous to lower the hammer on a round due to the fact that the trigger must be held to the rear while doing so), which is why I was lowering the hammer on a live round. My true Colt SAA clones with fixed firing pins on the hammers require an empty chamber under the hammer.
                    My favorite carry gun is a CZ 75 B - the "safety" model which will fire DA for the first shot, or can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911 or Hi-Power. In order to get it into DA mode, however, I must manually lower the hammer to the half-cock position (as designed by the Koucky brothers) for a fairly short DA pull. To manually lower the hammer I must hook my thumb over the hammer and draw it slightly back to take up the weight, pull the trigger, let the hammer down just a tiny bit, let off the trigger, then ease the hammer down to the half cock notch. I've practiced this a lot, and honestly it's no different than letting the hammer down on, say, a Colt Single Action Army, or on a Winchester 94, or an old hammer-fired single-barrel shotgun where you cocked the hammer to take a shot, then changed your mind. This used to be a fundamental skill of gun handling that everyone practiced, but nowadays we rely on decockers. Oh well.

Of course, one must always be careful and be conscious of the possibility of a slip that could result in an accidental discharge.

In reality, most accidental discharges occur during "administrative handling" - the loading and unloading of the firearm, and for me most administrative handling occurs when I am loading or unloading my carry gun.

I decided to address this by constructing a "clearing bucket", conceptually the same as that employed in many police stations and on military bases.

I went to Home Depot and purchased one of their 5-gallon buckets as well as the snap on lid that fits it, and a bag of play sand such as is used in children's sandboxes. I used a utility knife to cut an approximately 4 inch hole in the center of the lid, then pasted a 6 inch Shoot-N-See target over the hole. After filling the bucket with sand and snapping on the lid I had a clearing bucket.

(By sealing the hole with the target it keeps bug and critters, like grandkids, out of the sand, and keeps the cat from using it for a litter box.)

Now, whenever loading or unloading one of my semiautos, I just point the muzzle of the pistol at the center of the target when I rack the slide to chamber or clear a round. If there is an AD the bullet will be caught by the sand.

I actually saw this demonstrated on YouTube by "The Yankee Marshall", who I recall, keeps an open bucket of sand in his gun room for the purpose. He demonstrated it by firing, IIRC, a .40 S&W into the bucket, and the bullet only barely penetrated the sand. The concussion, though, ejected a significant amount of sand all over his floor. I believe the lid with the hole covered by the Shoot-N-See target will help to contain the sand. This feature will reduce my liability with Mrs. Chief by 50%, as without it I will be in trouble both for having the AD, AND will be in the doghouse for blowing sand all over the floor.

(We have certain strict rules as to gunfire in our house, with the main one being "Thall Shalt Not Shoot Anybody On The Hardwood Floor.")
                    Freedom Of Speech does not include freedom from consequences.

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.

Comment

I was looking at this yesterday. I gotta take a raincheck on this subject 4 now. Right now I'm in the middle of sumpin else.
                      Member of American Legion since 2014.
                      Picked up New Trick 2 day 3.15.18 w/screen brightness. And yes I do have Ctrl Alt Delete.

Comment

Originally posted by PlowboysGhost View Post

I KNOW the feeling Plowboy!!! I was still outside when it happened......but was cradling a .22 single action in my hand. Wanted to render it into safe........

But dern, if the hammer didn't slip off my thumb! BANG!!! The round went into the ground, but since I was holding the cylinder part in my palm of my hand.....I thought I had blown a couple of fingers off!!! But wasn't much worse than having a Firecracker go off in your fingers...........

Never did that again!!! OUCH!!!
                        Last edited by Led; May 23rd, 2018, 14:34.
                        And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

This post reminds me of that song by the Dead South, "Count Down three rounds, and in Hell I'll be in good company."
                          How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).

Comment

Working...
                          X