Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many is enough?

Can you have too many 1911's?

I apparently don't think so, because I just went into double figures on them, unless you want to count the 10mm's, the .38 Super, and the P-14, in which case I've been in double figures for a while.

I can't pass up a good deal on one. 'Nother Rock Island, which have so far proven to be seriously reliable and dependable with decent magazines, including the factory ones that come with them.

Naturally, three days after I bought the RI, I came upon another really nice 5906 on Gunbroker, but I ain't buying that for at least another month or so....If I have to use a 9mm, the 5906 is pretty much a Cadillac. Big and heavy, but it has minimal recoil because of the weight, and the one I have is a tack driver. I'm still all about 1911's and BHP's, but I am getting a soft spot for the S&W 5906. We'll see how that opinion holds up when I get the second one, but the one I have is just nice, for a 9mm.

But I got the GI Standard 1911, because why not? It's a 1911, which is God's handgun.

So it goes.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Originally posted by jefferson101 View Post
    Can you have too many 1911's?
    If they're like single action revolvers to me, you can't have too many.

I have only one 1911...a RIA in .45acp, but I have been eyeballing one(unfired and in box) in 10mm at the flea market lately.
    Last edited by PlowboysGhost; June 23rd, 2018, 20:03.
    "I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race." -Edmund Ruffin *
    At a little creek called Bull Run, we took their starry rag...to wipe our horses down with, and I ain't here to brag.

Comment

Originally posted by PlowboysGhost View Post

If they're like single action revolvers and me, you can't have too many.

I have only one 1911...a RIA in .45acp, but I have been eyeballing one(unfired and in box) in 10mm at the flea market lately.
      Their 10mm's are nice. The 10mm has a bit stouter recoil than the .45, but it's still a "push" rather than a "twist" like you get from a .40. I don't like the way a .40 recoils, and I'm not fond of the .357 Sig, A 10mm or .38 Super, OTOH? They work quite nicely for me.
      Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

The recoil of the 4006 is very tame compared to many 9mm's.
        Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

There isn't a good answer to the question. I've never owned or shot one. Held one, I liked some of the features but the price is why I never purchased one.

Me, zero is ok. I'm not a fanboy of any brand or type of handgun, I can tell you firearms I won't ever purchase at any price - Colt, S&W, Ruger and Remington. Functionality you will never see me with a striker fired weapon. (Must have an extenal hammer or indicator showing the weapon is charged)
          Call me John, just an old man with opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Walther View Post
            The recoil of the 4006 is very tame compared to many 9mm's.
            The 5906 is the same way. I keep saying "Cadillac" for a reason. It's big, heavy, and smooth as a baby's butt. The recoil is more like a .22 than even a BHP, which means that I really don't notice it at all. Add in the fact that the one I have is a tack driver out to at least 30 yards? Yeah. If I have to shoot a 9mm, the 5906 is approaching a BHP for me. 1911's are for me. When the rest of the folks show up wanting a "gun"? I've got some reliable 9mm's for them.

The .45 stuff is for me and family.

Just saying, but I might keep a 5906 along with a BHP or two, just in case I can't find .45 ACP. 9mm Para is easy to come by if you are not sensitive about who you have to shoot to get it....That's why I have them in the first place.

So it goes.

Comment

I don't know if I qualify as a " hoarder",but there's multiple examples of Makarovs,CZs,Sigs,P64's,SKSs, Mosin Nagant rifles,AKs, and one (" coughs embarrassedly") Glock 17 Gen 2 factory refurbished.
              We tend what our hands fit and we find aesthetically and/or mechanically pleasing.
              ....and quite often, when availability and opportunity strike we sometimes don't think" I already have 2 (insert make/midel here). Redundancy of parts,magazines,accdss accessories and a common manual of arms is NOT a bad thing I'M HOME.
              Gregory Peter DuPont

Comment

I have six of them if you count my SIG 1911a .22 LR as one and my four in 10mm as one. Only one in .45 ACP.

Comment

I think the right number is 3, as long as we're talking 5" guns. And right now I have 2, a Colt 1991 Series 80 and my Auto Ordnance Series 80........but if I could scrape up the $800, I'd add a blued Colt series 70 to the family. As for shorter than 5", an Officer-size gun might be nice, but I worry about reliability issues that farther you get away from Saint John's original concept.

And for some reason, although not exactly a 1911, I get the urge to buy one of those surplus 9mm Star BM's that keep coming up on the surplus dealers' sites.

I WILL NOT buy anything 1911 made by Kimber or S&W, as they have the old pre-WWII Swartz firing pin safety which is actuated by the grip safety. Back in the day that system was known for letting the hammer fall before the firing pin was cleared, so you got a click instead of a bang. Since all of my pistols are carry guns, I won't tolerate that. The Swartz was a bad implementation of a good idea, and it still is today.
                  Freedom Of Speech does not include freedom from consequences.

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.

Comment

Working...
                  X