Favorite .308 milsurp bolt action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite .308 milsurp bolt action

I really like the Spanish FR8 and the Israeli 7.62-51. You didn't have it on the list but the M40 A1 would be my best choice. I have read all the talk about 308 being hotter than 7.62-51. The hottest thing Ive ever shot in these chamberings is some Cavim 5.62-51 that was given to me. I shot it out of a Ruger 308 VT and its the hottest thing ever shot in the Ruger, my hand loads included.

Comment

I like the FR8 but never owned one. I think my shop had one of the .308 Enfield jungle carbines in that blew in and out so quickly I never had a chance to sign it out and get it home, but it was my second string choice for building a low budget scout rifle.

Another Nestor rifle built like a tank but a little oddball was the FN 49 Colombian model in .308. Never figured out how to detach the mag though. It seemed hardly anybody had spare mags and you were really expected to load it from the top with stripper clips.

.308 Tanker Garands with the BM59 folding stock were good stuff, but pricey. I seem to remember the price point being around $1600 in 2001-2002ish before the guy making them got set up and busted by the pricks in Reno.
      Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

The FR8 is IT! They are built on M-98 Mauser receivers. Just beautiful. I regret ever selling that bad boy! The Spanish also manufactured the FR7 on M-96 actions but be warned the strength tolerances will not hold up to U.S. 7.62x51.
        Last edited by brainard; March 2nd, 2017, 09:05. Reason: Diarrhea of the fingers

Comment

Working...
        X