8mm German Mauser ammo-1938!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8mm German Mauser ammo-1938!!!

Might be trading a guy for 7.62x39 (even trade)These are steel core ammo from 1938-should I pass on it?

Re: 8mm German Mauser ammo-1938!!!

I'd take it. I didn't know ammo from that era was steel core. Sounds similar to SS109 for the AR series.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

I didn't know that either! (Remember;He said it was,that may or may not be the case) I hope it is-wouldn't mind having some! The thing I am concerned about is a mis-sfire or it being weak or erratic in nature.

Comment

Don't if I had 38 stuff or not. But when I test fired a 98 the stuff I got at the store was old and if miss fired about every forth of fifth round.
        Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
        Patrick Henry

The laws allow arms to be taken against an armed foe. Ovid

Comment

It's going to depend on how it was stored. A lot of the German ammo from that era hasn't been kept in anything like ideal conditions since the war ended.

If it was properly stored, though? I'm still shooting 1938 dated Turk stuff that Century was selling for about $.06/round back in the day. It still works just fine, and I wish I'd have bought another half ton or so of it!
          Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

I have some 1938 Greek 8mm ammo that is sure fire in most of my mausers. It does have hard primers so some of my mausers will misfire it.

Comment

The guy with it said it looks nickle plated and is very clean-he said it looks like new and didn't even realize how old it was until recently. He said he started out with 1200 rnds and has the 600 left. He claimed it never mis-fired once.

Comment

1938 is pre WW2 Ammo....... Quality is top because at that time the Ammo, -Brass, Primer, Bullet manufacturers were the real ones. Not like during WW2 were every metal company produced a little bit of everything. In fact i doubt you will have any trouble with that.

What color is the primer? green, black or red? If it's AP it has to be red. green is lead Ball. remember just that a magnet attracts german ammo doesn't mean it's AP as we use until today steel jacket nickel or tin plated bullets.

Comment

If it was properly stored, though? I'm still shooting 1938 dated Turk stuff that Century was selling for about $.06/round back in the day. It still works just fine, and I wish I'd have bought another half ton or so of it!

Jefferson 101.

You and me both brother.

If it is 1938 in the blue bandoleer grab it and run.

karl
                  Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

Originally posted by kARL View Post

Jefferson 101.

You and me both brother.

If it is 1938 in the blue bandoleer grab it and run.

karl

Yeah, the stuff with the tin plated bullets. I tell my Grandsons that I have Werewolf ammunition. Silver bullets!

I've not let them shoot any of it yet, though, or the later stuff, which is not tin plated, although the stripper clips are. The brass stripper clips work better, though. And be it noted that Mauser strippers work just fine for .308, too.

I still wish I had another 10k rounds of it. It is nice hot ammo. (I've chrono'd the '38 year date at about 3005 fps average, with a standard deviation of about 100 FPS.) Winchester White Box isn't any better than that, for deviation, and as far as velocity? Yes, it works just fine!

FWIW, my UPS guy hated me back then. He got to make too many 100# plus deliveries. If I saw him coming, I'd go help him carry it up onto the porch, but there were times that I either didn't see him or wasn't home......And I got a fair stack of the Turk 8mm stuff.

And it still works just fine. They must have kept it cool and underground.
                    Last edited by jefferson101; December 7th, 2011, 21:00.
                    Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by APIT View Post
                      1938 is pre WW2 Ammo....... Quality is top because at that time the Ammo, -Brass, Primer, Bullet manufacturers were the real ones. Not like during WW2 were every metal company produced a little bit of everything. In fact i doubt you will have any trouble with that.

What color is the primer? green, black or red? If it's AP it has to be red. green is lead Ball. remember just that a magnet attracts german ammo doesn't mean it's AP as we use until today steel jacket nickel or tin plated bullets.
                      Just got them today,will shoot them next Tuesday. The bullets are silver (Tin,Nickel?) The primer is silver with perhaps green sealant? The case is brass with 19 on one side,38 on the other. Don't know where it came from-do I need to worry about it being corrosive?

Comment

Originally posted by maverick View Post
                        Just got them today,will shoot them next Tuesday. The bullets are silver (Tin,Nickel?) The primer is silver with perhaps green sealant? The case is brass with 19 on one side,38 on the other. Don't know where it came from-do I need to worry about it being corrosive?
                        It's nothing to "worry" about, but it surely is corrosive.

Comment

Originally posted by jefferson101 View Post
                          It's nothing to "worry" about, but it surely is corrosive.
                          Never shot corrosive ammo-read something about windex?

Comment

Originally posted by maverick View Post
                            Never shot corrosive ammo-read something about windex?
                            Yep.

Short version goes this way: "Corrosive" ammo is corrosive because the primers include substances that produce nitrate salts when burned, and these salts get deposited in the bore of the weapon.

To get the salts out, you need water to dissolve them. Windex (or any blue glass cleaner) has that, plus some ammonia to break up any oil that the salts may have gotten deposited in, and which could shed water alone.

Simply wet a couple of patches with the Windex, and swab out the bore well. Then patch dry, and clean normally, using whatever you ordinarily would. I generally wipe down the face of the bolt and the chamber with a damp patch too, just to be on the safe side.

You do need to do this within a few hours after shooting the rifle. Even at 100% humidity, you aren't going to start rusting out that quickly, but don't wait a couple of days or a week. That's taking chances.

It's no big deal, and adds about 3 minutes to the whole cleaning process. The one imperative is that you clean it today if you shot it today.

Comment

Originally posted by jefferson101 View Post
                              Yep.

Short version goes this way: "Corrosive" ammo is corrosive because the primers include substances that produce nitrate salts when burned, and these salts get deposited in the bore of the weapon.

To get the salts out, you need water to dissolve them. Windex (or any blue glass cleaner) has that, plus some ammonia to break up any oil that the salts may have gotten deposited in, and which could shed water alone.

Simply wet a couple of patches with the Windex, and swab out the bore well. Then patch dry, and clean normally, using whatever you ordinarily would. I generally wipe down the face of the bolt and the chamber with a damp patch too, just to be on the safe side.

You do need to do this within a few hours after shooting the rifle. Even at 100% humidity, you aren't going to start rusting out that quickly, but don't wait a couple of days or a week. That's taking chances.

It's no big deal, and adds about 3 minutes to the whole cleaning process. The one imperative is that you clean it today if you shot it today.

Thanks Jefferson!

Comment

Working...
                              X