Looking for opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for opinions

Visited the range today for my first really good outing with a couple of fairly new guns, one of which is my mini-14. My questions are these:

Do all mini-14 barrels heat up like a soldering iron when you go through 20 rounds quickly? I mean HOT, way to hot to touch.

Do all minis dent brass. This one dents the heck out of it and throws it quite a ways too, which I hear is fairly normal. I also know how to correct that but I'm not so sure about the denting. I was using ruger factory 20 rnd mags and it never skipped a beat. After it cooled down I put about 80 more rounds through it at a reasonable pace and it seemed to shoot fine but that denting concerns me. All ammo was Winchester white box 55 gr FMJ from wal-mart.

Finally, some strange looking marks have appeared on the outside surface of the charging bar. About an inch in front of the handle. They are just shiny little eliptical shaped marks that don't seem to rub off. Any Ideas?

Thanks for any help!

The marks I'm not sure about.

The dents - yep -- just about every autoloader will leave some sort of mark on the brass.

Heat -- double yep. It's a thin barrel. Not a lot of mass to absorb the energy & spread out the heat.
    Killing for the sake of honor is no longer allowed in our decadent society
    more\'s the pity, as it would greatly improve manners.
    - - - - -
    Airplane Pictures
    Cranky Labs Image Repository
    A Human Right
    Oleg Volk Photography
    - - - - -
    I\'m Amish Bill, and I approved this message.

Comment

Thanks Amish_Bill.

That makes me feel better. I'll try to get a digital picture of the marks and post it so you can see them. If I can figure out how to post the picture that is. Can you give me sme direction with that?

Thanks!

Comment

First you need a web host to hold them for you.

Go to the Tech Support forum and search around for Picture or Image or similar terms. This has been covered there once or twice.
        Killing for the sake of honor is no longer allowed in our decadent society
        more\'s the pity, as it would greatly improve manners.
        - - - - -
        Airplane Pictures
        Cranky Labs Image Repository
        A Human Right
        Oleg Volk Photography
        - - - - -
        I\'m Amish Bill, and I approved this message.

Comment

Working...
        X