Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OK Let us settle ALL battle rifle questions and positions and ,,,,

Originally posted by LAWCOP View Post
    I AGREE, that the M14 in FA is a monster to control.
    BUT
    The ONLY time for FA fire with any of the MBR is when they are "in or over the wire" and at those ranges it will sweep very effectively. HUGE adrenaline rush time and all that.
    Otherwise I never tried to group FA fire with one. I found one round apiece worked just fine and again it was at ranges at times when the "opposition" could barely hear the shot let alone seeing the flash or have a clue where you were. You put enough rounds downrange with one and you can be amazed what you can do with irons.

There may be newer and fancier and lighter and more whizzbang
    BUT
    I sit here today because my "big gun" never did NOT do what I needed done. THAT M14/M1A platform just fit me right. It is why I shot it for rifle competition for 20+ years and is why I know how many rounds went down range without ever breaking.

I would rather be able to keep the BGs a LLLLOOOONNNNGGGG way away rather than have to hose them up close, and to be able to do that you will have to be able to reach out and touch effectively to make them believers.

Just my way of thinking
    Yeah I get it and agree with it except my STG-58 is my choice. It could just as easily have been the M14 but I got a way better deal on building my own STG-58 battle rifle. I have my personal armory set up for "decreasing ranges". First, is to keep away from "them". If that doesn't work and they decide to move in my direction, my STG-58 will reach a long ways. Then as "they" move closer, I'll move to the AK's and then to the shotguns. Of course, by that time the only ones still coming at me will be the really determined ones since it wouldn't be just me doing the culling. There's several in my family who will be responding in "firing layers". Plus, several of my AK's have "catch and release" triggers that will pop off four rounds every time and do it accurately. And yeah, I have the ammo stashed away to feed all those assorted weapons for a long time. And yeah again...I have spare parts and tools to keep them all running for a long time. Can we start now?

Comment

Originally posted by Mac's! View Post
      Yeah I get it and agree with it except my STG-58 is my choice. It could just as easily have been the M14 but I got a way better deal on building my own STG-58 battle rifle. I have my personal armory set up for "decreasing ranges". First, is to keep away from "them". If that doesn't work and they decide to move in my direction, my STG-58 will reach a long ways. Then as "they" move closer, I'll move to the AK's and then to the shotguns. Of course, by that time the only ones still coming at me will be the really determined ones since it wouldn't be just me doing the culling. There's several in my family who will be responding in "firing layers". Plus, several of my AK's have "catch and release" triggers that will pop off four rounds every time and do it accurately. And yeah, I have the ammo stashed away to feed all those assorted weapons for a long time. And yeah again...I have spare parts and tools to keep them all running for a long time. Can we start now?
      A LESSON I learned a lllooonnngggg time ago by some very sage and weathered folks who had played in "THE BIG ONE."

"NEVER mess with or underestimate a man who shoots just one rifle."
      AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
      God carries a 1911.
      Just another day towards 20...

Comment

Yeah, I like that one almost as this one: He who gets there the fustest with the mostest, wins!

Comment

Originally posted by Mac's! View Post
          Yeah, I like that one almost as this one: He who gets there the fustest with the mostest, wins!
          General Nathan Bedford Forest, Army of the Confederate States of America.
          Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented Residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
          LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge View Post
            General Nathan Bedford Forest, Army of the Confederate States of America.
            True, but he spelled his last name with 2 R's. FORREST! Sort of picky about it as my Great, Great Grandfather on my Mothers side rode in his outfit. Its a Southern thing. LOL

Comment

I would go with my FAL......and take my HK91 as backup??

Heck.....I can't decide on something like that!!!!
              And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

Originally posted by Reasonable Rascal View Post
                One of the worst decisions of my life was parting with a pre-ban HK91. Oh sure, I made about $500 on the deal, but still...

RR
                I guarantee if you were to buy a PTR91 you wouldn't be able to tell the difference except for the stamp on the magwell. You'd love it.
                Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

I have a Springfield Armory G3. ( Stamped that way) A Greek HK91. Its a great shooter. One heavy rifle though with a scope on it. I actually pick it over an HK. The HK felt loose to me and well guess ya had to be there to know what I mean on that one.

I have a DSA FAL SA58 carbine. Now that's a nice gun. Shoots great and it is super easy to clean. I need to ditch that match rear site. I can hit with it but its not my cup of tea afterall...........

Never owned an M1a. Shot them a lot just never pulled the trigger to get one. It nor an M1 Garand. I really wish I had one of those. More historical I guess. But it is a rifle that really was liked and hated I guess at the same time?

TH

Comment

I've never felt a smoother recoil from an HK91 type rifle than my PTR. They have the bolt gap set so well on this rifle the unlock and recoil impulse is extremely smooth.

I can't describe it, but it is not the jolting shove you normally feel from this type of action.

Comment

If I seriously had to pick one to use to protect myself, I'd pick an M1A just because it is very reliable and will shoot any crappy ammo. Plus it looks cool.

But if someone offered me any MBR out right now for free, I'd grab a Desert Tech MDR in .308 since its the most futuristic.
                      How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).

Comment

Id go with the M1A

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Shark View Post
                          If I seriously had to pick one to use to protect myself, I'd pick an M1A just because it is very reliable and will shoot any crappy ammo. ............... .
                          That's one of the things that I love about my STG-58. It has an adjustable gas system. I can dial it in for just about any type of ammo and it'll run fine all day long. Manufacturers will design the rifle to accept just about type of ammo but that design costs in longevity. It has to function with lower power stuff as well as higher power stuff. (Within reason) In order to do that, they'll set it up soft so it will cycle with the low power stuff. The problem with that, is that the higher power stuff causes it to hit hard internally. When I dialed in my STG-58, I started with the most wide open gas knob setting so the most gas would just vent out and not do anything. Then I tightened it up a click at a time until the rifle started functioning correctly. Plus; If those danged antifas would hurry up and attack and there were enough of them for my rifle to actually get dirty from firing, I wouldn't have to worry to much about it starting to malfunction. Just tighten the gas knob a click or two and keep on busting caps!!!

Comment

H&K makes good stuff, don't get me wrong,
                            BUT
                            that roller block bolt is/was just trouble waiting to happen.

When I worked at the week long 2nd chance shoots we did the gunsmithing on the shoot guns to keep them running. When H&K brought up some subguns for demo and to use in some of the events, on the MP5s you could pretty much guarantee within 5-6000 rounds you were going to have to replace some parts on it. Not a big problem if you have the parts on hand, which we did but at the same time when Colt sponsored a subgun event and provided several of the 9mm subs built on the M16, they ran and ran and never broke down. At Colt's request we put as many rounds through one or two as we could. We only switched off guns because one would just get too hot to comfortably hold. Would throw a towel packed with ice over it to cool it and then put it back on the line . In a week one gun had over 30,000 rounds pounded through it and it never stopped, never broke anything.
                            The H&Ks were always having to be tweaked because of heavy use.

The G3/91s were no different. At 5000+ rounds the rollers would have to be replaced, maybe some other bolt parts.

FOlks would ask why and we'd tell them, The colt was built on a gun that was designed for a fast hot high pressure cartridge, then you fire a low pressure slow mover and take the gas system out and make it a blow back and that gun should run forever.
                            AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
                            God carries a 1911.

Comment

Always good to have spare parts no matter the rifle.

I'll stick with my HK roller locked rifles.

Comment

JUST Hope the human waves aren't coming when you hit the 5000 round mark and you have to stop and change the rollers.
                                It could be a very bad timing break down.
                                God carries a 1911.

Comment

Working...
                                X