Best .308 battle Rifle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best .308 battle Rifle

Okay, if you wanted to spend 1300 dollars or less for a .308 military style semi auto which is the most durable, best rifle, best value?

Springfield M1A, plastic stock GI type with no fancy scope, about 1300 dollars.

PTR-91 for about 800 to 900 dollars.

Sportical DPMS .308 for about 800 dollars.

Other?
    Death is whimsical today. - Gary Oldman

Zombies man...they creep me out. - Dennis Hopper

Re: Best .308 battle Rifle

The FN FAL was chosen by 90 some odd Countries across the World, commonly called "The right arm of the free World"-there simply had to be a reason for this. The ORIGINAL HK rifle or the original M-14 are fine rifles in their own right, at times current execution of these designs leaves a bit to be desired. Springfield Armory did a nice M1-A right up 'til they ran out of GI parts, many HK "clones" are assembled by folk trying to make a fast buck, quality takes a back seat. Personally I'd put one of the FAL rifles Ibuilt up against ANY rifle. Oh, concerning the AR-308s-they may be accurate, they may be fine rifles but they have almost no combat proven track record.
    Last edited by paintballmagnet; May 14th, 2010, 22:25.
    "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
    The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

FAL Super Rifles.

JMHO
      Tread

Comment

Well, DSA sells those STG-58 FAL Rifles, Austrian Pattern for about 1100 dollars.

Would that be the best overall pick for 1300 dollars or less?
        Death is whimsical today. - Gary Oldman

Zombies man...they creep me out. - Dennis Hopper

Comment

Could not go wrong with it. From what I hear DSA makes a good rifle.
          Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
          Patrick Henry

The laws allow arms to be taken against an armed foe. Ovid

Comment

The FN...

Till Hi-Point gets one on the market.

Comment

Alot of the answer depends on what the goal for the rifle is. Saigas are often overlooked, and they shouldn't be if low cost and reliability are your top priorities. The accuracy is only mediocre though. Saigas are extremely well built Russian made AK 47s in 7.62x51. Their accuracy, while good for an AK, is only mediocre when compared to a FAL and is poor when compared to a M14.

My .308 AK came with a folding stock, 2 20 rd mags, and only cost $500. That's $150 less than my cheapest FAL and $500 less than my M14.

The Saiga has an integral scope mount. Mounting a scope on a FAL isn't easy or cheap.

Comment

For my use, I have yet to find a better .308 rifle than my M1As. I have three, a extremely low serial number 'Devine', a Springfield Loaded, and a SOCOM16.

They have proven to be very accurate, very reliable, fairly easy to work in if that were needed, and they do not seem to have any faults.
                may the Bonnie Blue wave forever

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Comment

The DPMS .308 is accurate right out of the box.

If you need to fire hundreds of rounds, you can comfortably, since it has almost no felt recoil.

It is finally fielded in the Middle East (more than 50 years after Eugene Stoner won the military trials with his original AR-10 .308 rifle) with no complaints. It has been reported used out to 1,200 meters, and that is a long ways out there for a .308.

Available as a light weight carbine, a long range bull barrel rifle, or something in between.

Choice of optic or iron sights, or both.

The rifle does not require any modifications, but can be customized as you like.

Most of them seem to shoot about a half inch to a three quarter inch group at a hundred yards, some do better than that.

Very sturdy and reliable magazines from DPMS.

I would not trade mine for anything!
                  The Washington Government can take their “Global Empire” and shove it up their “Pelosi”!

Comment

DPMS is the best way to go for stock , out of the box quality. Get the A3 low profile upper and you can put any kind of optics on her, plus BUIS. I had trouble with the gas adjustment on the only FAL I owned. Got rid of it before I ever got it to cycle properly. Probably operator malfunction, as my brother's works flawlessly and he's has it for a long time. fAL's seem pretty reasonable around here, as are Saiga's. You can buy a lot of mags and ammo for both with price difference. A .308 that is AK reliable would be a good bush rifle, long as you don't have to shoot MOA or go over 300 yds or so.
                    God,grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,courage to change the things I can,and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

to start with, that $1300 is just the price of admission. Add optics, gear, ammo............................

You probably need to budget better than $2500
                      may the Bonnie Blue wave forever

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Comment

The FN/FAL gets my vote, followed VERY closely by the FAL.

Comment

Very nice.
                          God,grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,courage to change the things I can,and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by GOODOLDGUY View Post
                            Very nice.
                            I can say having shot it that it shoots just as nice also! Same guy IHJ got it from built my Australian L1A1. It is fun also.

More importantly they BOTH are 100% reliable.

Comment

I've never seen combat so what do I know? I have researched however , I have a son who has seen action in Iraq and I did sleep in a Holiday Express once...so I would go with the FAL from DSA.

Mostly 'cause I have one and a lil bit of ammo.

Comment

Working...
                              X