Would you trust a Russian classic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you trust a Russian classic?

I want solid opinions on the idea of a Mosin Nagant being used as a LONG range rifle. By long range, I mean 500m, 700m, even 1000m shots. What would you change if anything? Would you trust it to do the job as the Russians did 70 years ago?
    Personally I believe in the right hands, it could reach that far and then some on iron sights alone, with no modifications.

Re: Would you trust a Russian classic?

If I were shooting past 500 meters to 1000 meters as a daily thing:
    Good 9-12 power scope...bent bolt ...float the barrel...bed the action...a bit of trigger work...good ammo.
    The rifle does not need any more.
    As to "iron sights" What are you going to be able to see at a 1000 meters?
    The Mosin as were all rifles at the time, was built with the idea of plunging fire into mass formations.at long range.
    They were not meant to hit a person at 1000 meters with iron sights. I won't say that it never happened but you would need eyes like superman to do it more than once on a battle field.
    karl
    Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

You have to realize just how much of a man sized target your front post sight takes up. Filed to a near point, as ours are , they still would take up a lot of real estate at 200 meters. By the time you're out to 400 meters, you not only CAN"T aim for a button on a bad guy's shirt, you can't even see the shirt.

There is a point where you will find that you are aiming at the area of the target instead of a part of the target.

Mosins do some things well. 1000 meters with iron sights isn't one of them. 500 meters with a good scope is a heckuva a difficult shot.

Not saying that we can't hit long distance with iron sights, just saying that there will be no reliable level of precision.
      "I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race." -Edmund Ruffin *
      At a little creek called Bull Run, we took their starry rag...to wipe our horses down with, and I ain't here to brag.

Comment

Properly prepared and with the right ammo, yes to 700, but not beyond that.

Anytime you go beyond 800 ANY rifle has to be as prepared as the shooter. The thing is not many shooters are. For example how good are they at judging range? How about wind and mirage?

Just grabbing a gun and throwing on a scope does NOT make it a snipers weapon.

Comment

I concur with the above. I'd also like to add that successful snipers are successful mostly because of fieldcraft and being able to get into position at moderate ranges, not because of their long range shooting skills.

Doping your shots is much harder than holding a steady sight picture. good breathing, and having good trigger control. Those three things are fundamentals that are pretty easy to master; calculating wind, bullet drop, and range are much harder to get right.

Comment

Thanks for all the valuable insight. This was more of a what if situation than a actual aspiration. Id say it'd take more than a few modifications. It would require a hope and a prayer.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2M1hC4c0tc worth seeing,
              karl
              Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

It appears theres no need for a hope and prayer. All thats needed is a PU scope.

Comment

AND a lot of skill.

Comment

I've got a Finn and one 91-30 that will hold up pretty well out to 500, but that's the furthest I've ever shot them. (Well, it may be 500 meters and change, out to the back berm at my range... It's far enough that I tend to drive out there to set up targets, rather than walk, anyway.)

I don't know what they would do any further than that, though. Never tried, to tell the truth. I need to get a rangefinder, because if I get out there when there's nobody there, and go across the long way out across the trap range, it might be a bit over 600 yards.

There's berm all the way around, so it's not as if I'd be endangering anyone or anything shooting that way. Tempting thought, actually, just to see how far they will hold up.
                    Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Im glad that im not the only one who is intrigued by near impossible feats

Comment

It is interesting to see that some one else is going down the same path I started to follow about a year ago. Initially got in to the 91/30s because that is all I could afford to shoot.
                        I lucked out. The first one was very good. 1˝ to 2 MOA with Bulgarian 10 surplus. Consistently hits 16” painted animals at 500 yards with sights. Fascinated exploring the long distance possibility, effort was put in to the challenge of being proficient at 1000 yards using this old standard. Luck strikes again. In excellent condition, an ex-sniper complete with filled in mount holes. In a wooden Monte Carlo stock, glass bedded, trigger work and a Simmons 2.5x10 scope yielded 1 to 11/2 MOA depending on ammo. Dope developed to 600 yards. Better scope ordered will head to our long range facility or the desert. Another positive, some very good reasonable ammo is available. Barnaul BT 185gr works pretty well. This is turning into a challenge and a lot of fun. However looking in to the future… I see a Zavasta 808, 26” barrel, 300 win mag. Not Russian, but the same neck of the woods. Does any one have any input on these? Just signed up. This post drew me in. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X