What should I get now....?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I get now....?

Want a hard hitter out to 300 yards I use against bad guys.
    Don't count 50s.
    I have all types of rifles, now I want to snipe if needed.
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963

Re: What should I get now....?

I have a .308 AR-15 for that role. If you don't like that idea, a 8 mag or.338 Lapua bolt gun would serve nicely.

Comment

Savage .308

Or, like noted - go all out & get a .338 Lapua

Last edited by LYCAN; February 15th, 2013, 01:58.

Comment

I've always wanted a Sako TRG-42 in 300 Win Mag or .338 Lapua Mag with all the trimmings. I can't afford one, but's it's a very nice long range rifle.

Last edited by Herr Walther; February 15th, 2013, 08:13.
        Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Out to 300 yards, a 700 is going to be hard to beat, both for price and choice of calibers available.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

It'll beat you into next week though in one of those mentioned calibers.

Heck, my 700 in .308 practically did that before I installed a recoil buffer from Brownell's and put a pad on it.

I would not want to shoot a heavy caliber in that 700 on a regular basis.
            Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Originally posted by jefferson101 View Post
              Out to 300 yards, a 700 is going to be hard to beat, both for price and choice of calibers available.

I have a older Savage Mod 12 short action.......Had it about 10 years and it still is a bad ass rifle. Just using Fed Gold match out of the box got 0.5 3 shot group at 200 yards. Yeah I'd like to have a top end rifle but they wouldn't do any better then my savage , at least in my hands. It out shoots my M1A and my AR10A4.
              Peter 5:8
              "Be sober, be vigilant; Because your adversary the Devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking who he may devour."

Comment

Gotta say my Savage .308 bolt gun does a great job for me. Its a deer slayer! Loves 150gr Core-loks!

JMHO
                Tread

Comment

I just picked up a Ruger MarkII in .338 WinMag at the show in Monroe. It doesn't kick as hard as my 300 WinMag Mauser and is a little more accurate with same Leupold glass. But if I was goimg to put a lot of big rounds downrange in a hurry, I might like my AR-10. It is bad-assed.
                  God,grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,courage to change the things I can,and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

For under 350 yards unless you are in an area of severe crosswind my choice is either a 700 or a Savage but in .270 you can make the brass from 30/06 in a pinch and with a 300 yard zero a 140gr will be roughly 5" high at 125 and 5" low at 350 yards. http://ballisticscalculator.winchester.com/ is kinda fun to play with to see that 150gr 308 are similar but I for some reason like the 270. JMHO
                    Don\'t lose sight of your mantra as your past will guide you to your future.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Walther View Post
                      It'll beat you into next week though in one of those mentioned calibers.

Heck, my 700 in .308 practically did that before I installed a recoil buffer from Brownell's and put a pad on it.

I would not want to shoot a heavy caliber in that 700 on a regular basis.
                      THIS is all the info you need to defeat recoil.
                      http://flintandfrizzengunshop.com/Home_Page.php

THEY are not the prettiest ones out there but THEY WORK and I have always taken function over form.

I have had his brakes on my hitters for years.
                      He built me a 7 pound .375H&H with a kevlar stock.
                      It got shot so much it needed rebarreling. I used to take it to shoots to demo the brake. NOTHING beats the smile you get from a 110 pound little girl after her first shot and then she says her... whatever kicks worse then she will want to shoot up all the ammo because she could slide in the banana size cartridges and not get the crap kicked out of her.

I used to hold it on one hand, held out like a pistol and shoot it. I compare the recoil to a model 19 .357 with magnum loads.

THEN
                      I had brakes on both my .340 Weatherbys, one a Weatherby and one a Sako glass stocked TRG.
                      I shot so much 1000 yard with the Weatherby I wore that bbl out. AND you could wham all day and it was like shooting a .243

You may have to stand in line to get one but well worth the break. THe prarie dog shooters run him out because when they shoot the gun never moves off the dog and they can watch them blow up through the scope.

I also had them on my M1A M21T. A great answer to both accurate fire out to 1000 meters and yet also give you rapid fire with decent sized bullets.... topped my the mandatory Shepherd scope of course. It does all the work, all you have to do is pull the trigger.

warning stay away from MAgnaPorting. Over my life I have seen three different guns split the bbls right back to the receiver ring and all the bbl splits started at the same inside cut corner

I tried a LOT of recoil reducing systems over my life, nothing is as efficient as McArthurs.
                      AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
                      God carries a 1911.
                      Just another day towards 20...

Comment

308 AR is what I want. Was real close to getting one a year or more ago, before the panic crap started. Kept putting it off due to other projects coming along and taking my spare funds.

Ive also been close to getting a FN SPR in 308. These things are dead sexy
                        Enoch Powell was right!

Comment

Mauser 98 k in 8 mm. comes to mind.
                          karl
                          Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

Zavasta M808 300 Win mag

Comment

Fulton Armory M-14 EBR ...

Media vita in morte sumus

Comment

Working...
                              X