Looking for a new barrel for my Savage .308

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for a new barrel for my Savage .308

It's no trouble at all and I'm happy to help if I can.

Ya know, the more that I think about it, the more I suspect the recv'r being out of true/spec. If this is the case, no new bbl will bolt to it correctly without giving you near the same results as the previous bbl did.

Here's the hard part, It's also one of the more difficult parts to get the factory to replace due to this part being the one registered sern part. It also tends to require some special set-up and or tooling to properly check for true or correct specs,(most good gunsmiths can check it with little trouble).

On another note, I'm sure you've heard of the rifles that are called, "One in a Thousand"? This usually denotes a rifle where everything simply came together at the factory just right and the rifle is as perfect as the factory can normally turn out on it's regular lines... Beautiful and highly accurate.
    Well, the other side of that is a rifle that nothing quite goes right and QC should have sent the darned thing back to do it all over again, except that it somehow gets out their doors to the public,(it's still called "One in a Thousand", it's simply on the wrong side of that thousand. It's also been known by "Lemon").
    I'd hate to think this rifle falls into that latter catagory.

I think I would recommend contacting the factory/customer service again and ask them what it would take for them to replace the recv'r,(bolt & all).

IHTH

Michael

Comment

When I bought this rifle, right out of the box it would misfire three out of five, the bolt timing was so bad that cocking was near impossible, it would not pull a fired case without dumping it on top of the magazine and would not feed rounds from the magazine AND then there's the accuracy problem its always had. Were this rifle a prime example of Savage production, you'd never give me another! I'll contact Joe DeGrande and see what he has to say, I've still got his number.
      "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
      The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

"right out of the box it would misfire three out of five, the bolt timing was so bad that cocking was near impossible, it would not pull a fired case without dumping it on top of the magazine and would not feed rounds from the magazine... "
        Hummm... Paintballmagnet, was this information relayed to Savage,(Joe DeGrande), when the rifle was first sent back to be re-bbl'ed? Or did this develope after it was re-bbl'ed?

(Because if I'd known this info, myself, I would have gone straight to the recv'r/bolt assembly as the main problem right off the bat.)
        I'd say this is a pretty rare exception to the basic/normal quality that Savage turns out in their rifles. They have gotten very good about maintaining an excellent reputation on their rifles as part of doing everything they can to compete in all markets,(including military contracts). I'd like to hear what Mr. Joe DeGrande says about what he'll do to remedy the problems that you are having with this Savage rifle, please let me know what he says if you wouldn't mind.

Michael
        Last edited by C. M. Wolf; November 2nd, 2011, 19:33.

Comment

This rifle has been back to Savage twice. The first time for everything but the accuracy issues, the second time for rebarreling. What I cannot understand is right after I received this rifle after the new barrel was installed, I worked up a load using 150 grain bullets, IMR 4064 powder, Black Hills match brass that placed three shots under 1/2". From there its gotten steadily worse! I've been loading for and shooting rifles for 30 years, yet this thing makes me look like I have no idea how to load ammo, or even shoot worth a hoot! I have a Browning 7mm mag that will, with me shooting, do under three inches at 300 yards anytime I shoot it.
          "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"

Comment

Originally posted by paintballmagnet View Post
            This rifle has been back to Savage twice. The first time for everything but the accuracy issues, the second time for rebarreling. What I cannot understand is right after I received this rifle after the new barrel was installed, I worked up a load using 150 grain bullets, IMR 4064 powder, Black Hills match brass that placed three shots under 1/2". From there its gotten steadily worse! I've been loading for and shooting rifles for 30 years, yet this thing makes me look like I have no idea how to load ammo, or even shoot worth a hoot! I have a Browning 7mm mag that will, with me shooting, do under three inches at 300 yards anytime I shoot it.
            Hey Paintball, did you happen to figure what was going on..? Not that I have an answer, but I am very curious as to why that was going on... I'm sure that all the guys here have probably helped you get it figured out, I'm just curious..? Thanx...

Comment

Whats going on? Dunno, just put a Nikon on the sucker since my Leupold didn't make it back before deer season. With it I fired a three shot one inch group so until after deer season, I'm done with it. Whether it will hold I have my doubts, its never stayed close for long. The load I'm using was once capable of doing under 5/8, this before it did its last hula dance. I'm gonna do a barrel and new stock, been wanting to for four years, gotta have something to waste money on or I'm not happy!

Comment

Working...
              X