Opinioins on Sniper/Long Range rifle larger than 5.56 / .223

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinioins on Sniper/Long Range rifle larger than 5.56 / .223

What's the majority opinion on something of a smaller caliber than the standard .308 / .30-06 / etc. but larger than the 5.56 class of rifles? Of course I'm talking about something for soft targets. I'm sure the Mosin-Nagant lovers here would approve of the 91/30, but I'm talking about the standard rifle in someone's rifle rack, maybe tricked-out a little.
    Peace--Through Superior Firepower

"75 to 90 percent of American trial lawyers are incompetent, dishonest, or both." --The Late Warren Berger, Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court

Re: Opinioins on Sniper/Long Range rifle larger than 5.56 / .223

.243 is a good round. accurate, good range, and mild recoil

Comment

Have been usinf a Remington 7mm Rem Mag. Fairly accurate and a bit more range than a 308.

Do you plan to reload or use factory ammo?

338 Lupna is a good long distance round if you can afford to shoot it.

Lot of good to be said about the 308/7.62 Nato, it will do more than most shooters can take advantage of.
      Faitly low cost campared to other big calibers, brass is cheap, and you can get it at about any place that sells ammo.

What are you looking for in a long distance gun? That will help pin down what you need.
      No use having a gun you cannot afford to buy ammo for or cannot get ammo for fairly easy.

Comment

I was more or less wondering about the rifles already setting on people's gun racks. I know there's a lot of 22.250, .220 Swift, .243/6mm, etc. already in use. My preference would be a .308 or 30-06 or some other larger, commonly available cartridge. However, I also own a long-range .22 centerfire that can really reach out there, but also know it's limitations on penetration for larger targets. I agree with both posts about .243 and .308 for given reasons.

"75 to 90 percent of American trial lawyers are incompetent, dishonest, or both." --The Late Warren Berger, Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court

Comment

Another option that alot of people don't consider is handloading cartridges with reduced powder and lighter bullet weights. By doing this you can make even a .30-06 a puussycat that a novice or someone with an injury would have no problem shooting. Of course, you have to play with it and spend time at the range to make sure that accuracy isn't compromised.

Comment

The round I have always liked that was not considered a 'standard' is the .270. Easily made from 30-06 brass in an emergency. Flat shooting and goes for distance well with the 140 grain bullet for it.

In the early days of SWAT teams before they had that title a couple of large metropolitan depts used it before the rush to 308 at the FEDs urging.

Comment

Handloading is a great option, but as far as picking up a standard load off the shelf in a pinch, you're left with what the factory deems an appropriate load.

The .270 is also a good recommendation with a generally wide availability of ammo on most shelves, too, but loading light will require resighting-in (like the '06, .308, etc.).

My thoughts on it all are that most people have hunting/varminting rigs and may be the backbone force for national defense unless they have MBRs in their gun racks, too. What got me to thinking about this again was a friend of mine who told me he heard a report that Hillary had signed-on with the UN small arms proliferation deal. I haven't seen or heard of any new reports about it, but apparently there was a report about it somewhere since my pal was passing it on my way.

Of course, I see things as they always have been...just like the 3% or 4% of the populace that actually took up arms and fought in the American Revolution and won freedom for the other 90-something percent to brag about participating in.

Comment

Originally posted by jdawg211 View Post
                Handloading is a great option, but as far as picking up a standard load off the shelf in a pinch, you're left with what the factory deems an appropriate load.

The .270 is also a good recommendation with a generally wide availability of ammo on most shelves, too, but loading light will require resighting-in (like the '06, .308, etc.).

My thoughts on it all are that most people have hunting/varminting rigs and may be the backbone force for national defense unless they have MBRs in their gun racks, too. What got me to thinking about this again was a friend of mine who told me he heard a report that Hillary had signed-on with the UN small arms proliferation deal. I haven't seen or heard of any new reports about it, but apparently there was a report about it somewhere since my pal was passing it on my way.

Of course, I see things as they always have been...just like the 3% or 4% of the populace that actually took up arms and fought in the American Revolution and won freedom for the other 90-something percent to brag about participating in.
                I have heard the same thing about Hitlery and Obamanation and the UN. Thing is NOTHING that will be heard about it until it is too late to do anything about it. That is how they operate and the major media will just roll over and kiss their butt while saying nothing to the rest of us.

Obamanation knows they cannot sucessfully pass any anti gun bill in our congress, so they will try and back door it via the UN.

Comment

Here, the .243 would make more sense unless you intend on reloading. Usually factory loads for the .243 are the most common, along with 30-30, 308, 270 and 30-06. I've yet to see a good .243 that wouldn't do an inch with factory loads, my best luck with Remington Cor-loks. A handloaded 100 grain Nosler Partition will place the destructiveness of a .243 right up there with the big boys, at 300 yards I've broke both shoulders on a 200+ pound buck with a 2" exit.
                  Last edited by paintballmagnet; May 16th, 2010, 23:52.
                  "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
                  The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

If you want a good 2nd Amendment Firearm, then I suggest an AR-10 chambered in .308 (the way God and Eugene Stoner intended).

.308 is about as good as any caliber for a 2nd Amendment Caliber, it has stopping power, it is accurate, will reach out a good long ways, and is mass produced.

An AR-10 is accurate, reliable (not hearing any complaints now that the Military finally fielded it, 50 years later) semi auto, and has no recoil. You can shoot one all day long if you need to, and we may need to before much longer.

Available as either a light weight carbine or long range rifle.
                    The Washington Government can take their “Global Empire” and shove it up their “Pelosi”!

Comment

There's no need of more than the 223's power, unless you "think" you want to attack "materiel" goods, like pipelines, propane tanks, water tanks, fuel drums, liquid fueled rockets, etc. If you load the 223 correctly, ie, with 90 gr vld (very low drag) match bthp's, it does better on 1000 yd matches than does the 168 gr bthp 308 bullet, which was the standard load of choice for 30 years. If that was enough for men then, the 223 match load is enough now. The 77 gr gr 223's will work thru a mag, and carry plenty of power to disable and kill men to ranges longer than anyone with any sense will engage in the field.

This entire long range sniper fad is just a "wanna"-crybaby sort of thing. If the guys HAD to get the hit, they'd never DREAM of attempting it beyond 500m, because too much can go wrong. Our complete control of the sky has just LET guys indulge in such random fantasy fulfillment, that's all. The sort of rifle that makes you somewhat capable beyond 500m is also a very limited use sort of item. If you get "jumped". that long range rifle is too slow to be of much use. Ditto for night firing, etc. In reality, 3rd world riflemen are near zero threat to you at 100m, if you are using cover, and don't let them run up on you. So there's no NEED to fire at long ranges. Guys just WANT to do so, that's all.

Comment

Reckon I'll just throw my AR 50 away. Sigh.
                        Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
                        I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

Anyone shoot .338 Federal or 300 Win Mag?? Which do you prefer??
                          God,grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,courage to change the things I can,and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by GOODOLDGUY View Post
                            Anyone shoot .338 Federal or 300 Win Mag?? Which do you prefer??
                            Shot the 300 Win Mag and the 338 Lapua. I like BOTH of them. Only downside is the cost of the brass and bullets for the 338. Also the selection is not that great.

Comment

gunne, I am going to be nice and let you take yourself out of here before I THROW YOUR useless criminal ass out.

Gunkid you are fooling NO ONE. If I had my way you butt would be gone already.

You have NEVER fired ANYTHING beyond 100 yards so your opinion is WORTHLESS!

Comment

Working...
                              X