What is a good sniper rifle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is a good sniper rifle?

Hum, I looked at a Google map of one specific area and found that even with a sniper rifle one might be able to get into position, but the wait might cause you to be spotted. One shot would immediately pinpoint your position due to security measures surely in place. It would have to be an exercise in going to heaven real fast. No guarantee of doing the target in either. Seems another method is in order. Any one know anything about 75mm recoilless rifles other than they are mounted on jeeps most of the time?

Comment

The Berreta in this picture is a fine long range rifle. Question: Could one hear the shot before it hit?
      Can you tell the direction, without electronics, of the shot to determine where it might have come from? If used in a manner other than sniper, could it not wreak havoc on an enemy? If one were in a fire fight, you could pick off other combatants and they would not even know it. Would anyone shoot an animal with a 50 cal bullet? No meat would be left would there, at any range.

Comment

Hey old Fart, I like your writing content. You were a vet, right? What war? MOS? Did you see combat? I was in the Marines off of Viet Nham. We still had the M1's just switching over to the plastic M16's. None of us wanted them. The bullets flew all over the place. I guess if you wanted a wall of lead they were okay, but that ole M1 was on target most of the time. I might change my mind if I faced an enemy with a rapid fire rifle though. Put some distance between him and me, then I'd get 'em.

Comment

Sniper rifles are only as good as the sniper using them. If you give a sniper rifle to a coward, then you have wasted a good rifle's potential. If you give a highly trained and experienced sniper a standard rifle, then you waste the potential of the sniper. So even if you get the ultimate best sniper rifle, unless you have the other part of the equation (practice, training, experience and so on) it doesn't do you any personal good. All you have is a long range precision rifle that you can't effectively bring into good use.

The fact that you are doing your research first is great! It shows that you have really good potential. So continue doing your research into precision shooting first. Get precision shooting down pat first and then expand into long range shooting. Then you combine precision shooting and long range shooting into precision long range shooting or DBA: sniping.

Your first assignment is to study, in depth, Simo Hayha and Carlos Hathcock. Research everything you can find out about them, their shooting styles, their gear (rifle, ammo type, scopes, etc.) shooting positions, preferred shooting distances and so on. Study them until your head hurts.

Then see if you can find any local snipers to talk to and seek counsel with for your needs. Get to understand them and how they individually worked.

Then check out Swedish Mausers (6.5 X 55), Swiss sniper rifles (7.5 mm), the 8 mm Mauser sniper rifle, the .303 British sniper rifles, the M-1 D & E sniper rifles and the XM-21 and M-21 sniper rifle systems. Also study the SASS and Mini-SASS rifles. Then compare the NM M-1A to the M-21 vs. the SASS. Once you're done with caliber research and rifle research move on to scopes and check them out.

Once you done all of this and read the sniper manuals for the USMC and U.S. Army then you select the rifle and caliber you think will best work for you. Good luck.

Here's something to make you think a little bit:

http://users.belgacom.net/gc378379/s...ino%20MSSR.htm

http://users.belgacom.net/gc378379/s...ino%20MSSR.htm

I am NOT saying that a .223 rifle is what you need. What this information above does is give you somebody else ideas on what local Filipino snipers have available to them.

Comment

Any rifle that allows you to hit repeatedly at 500 meters is fine.
            Most folk cannot shoot up to their rifles, I am sure not up to my k-31.
            karl
            Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

A good "Sniper Rifle"... In my humble opinion, I would recommend EDM's M100 take-down, in 408 Chey Tac.

http://www.edmarms.com/products/m408.htm (Chambered in 408 Chey Tac).
              http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sniper-r...vention-e.html

But for only 300yds-400yds, heck, a good 223 will work for that range as long as you're not faced with any hard cover or hard(ened) targets.
              You might also look into an FN-SPR,(specifically the FN-SPR-A2,A3,A4's) chambered in 308win or 300WSM for the type of shooting that you are talking about. Highly precise, with one of the few companies that can actually turn out a True Match Grade "Chrome-Lined" BBL.
              http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sniper-r.../fn-spr-e.html

Or you can have a rifle built for you to your own specs and requirements...

Michael
              Last edited by C. M. Wolf; January 9th, 2013, 03:03.

Comment

I can't say that I've heard more sage advice than what I just read here.
                “Corruptissima republica plurimae leges,”
                “The more corrupt the republic, the more numerous the laws.”

Publius Cornelius Tacitus
                Sic Semper Tyrannis

Comment

.340 Weatherby is an amazingly accurate round out of the Weatherby rifle right from the factory, if you can take the recoil, ergo a great muzzle brake makes it work. It is a true sub minute gun. With the proper glass it is capable of really fine production out to way farther then you could imagine.
                  I had mine topped with a Shepherd scope and was shooting caribou off a monopod at 500yds without thinking about it, because I had done a LOT of 1000 yd shooting with the same gun/scope combination.

The M1A M21T gas gun in 7.62 will do anything you want it to out to the magic 1000 meter mark again with the proper glass and most importantly the proper mount. It will shoot sub 1/2" groups in my experience.

EFFECTIVE and ACCURATE long range shooting is a LOT equipment and a LOT of practice. I don't care how much you shoot, you will never make that AK/742/win. 94/ mi carbine/whatever group at 1000 and I don't care you paid for your $5000 Whizzbang Terminator Special, if you flinch and close your eyes and jerk the trigger when you fire and use your buddy's reloads made out of mixed brass and inconsistent bullets.

Consistency comes with repetition, same trigger pull, same breath control, same way you cradle the rifle time after time after time. Keep your head in the same position when you crawl behind the scope, and a BIG ONE that some folks never get... when resting the rifle you rest it on the same soft bag or material ALL THE TIME.

Have no idea how many times I watched guys shoot off a bipod at a bench then throw down their bipod in the field and then wonder why the round isn't going the same place. NEVER set the bipod on a hard surface for practice then soft in the field, you will not have figured in the bipod bounce into the shot.
                  AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
                  God carries a 1911.
                  Just another day towards 20...

Comment

Originally posted by LAWCOP View Post
                    .340 Weatherby is an amazingly accurate round out of the Weatherby rifle right from the factory, if you can take the recoil, ergo a great muzzle brake makes it work. It is a true sub minute gun. With the proper glass it is capable of really fine production out to way farther then you could imagine.
                    It makes me laugh when people tell me the 338 Laupa is end all sniper cartridge as the ballistic's of the 340 Weatherby match it at a much better price.

Originally posted by LAWCOP View Post
                    Consistency comes with repetition, same trigger pull, same breath control, same way you cradle the rifle time after time after time. Keep your head in the same position when you crawl behind the scope, and a BIG ONE that some folks never get... when resting the rifle you rest it on the same soft bag or material ALL THE TIME.

Have no idea how many times I watched guys shoot off a bipod at a bench then throw down their bipod in the field and then wonder why the round isn't going the same place. NEVER set the bipod on a hard surface for practice then soft in the field, you will not have figured in the bipod bounce into the shot.
                    Very True words, I went thru this back when I first got a bipod (factory one on HK91) - gave me fits until I figured that out.
                    FAT I\'m not fat, I\'m Tactically Padded

Comment

I"ll take an M4 with a can over ANYTHING noisy, for a fact. 300 yds and GOOD hits, without anyone's being able to determine the source of the shots, is both more effective and lots safer than noisy shots, from any range. Also, those silly assed bolt actions CAN'T take shots up close, where a good man with a suppressed autorifle can get 2-5 men before they can do a thing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by beenthere View Post
                        I"ll take an M4 with a can over ANYTHING noisy, for a fact. 300 yds and GOOD hits, without anyone's being able to determine the source of the shots, is both more effective and lots safer than noisy shots, from any range. Also, those silly assed bolt actions CAN'T take shots up close, where a good man with a suppressed autorifle can get 2-5 men before they can do a thing about it.
                        And for close in shots nothing can beat the home-canned (wet pack method) Jennings .22, right?

RR
                        Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

Comment

Originally posted by Reasonable Rascal View Post
                          And for close in shots nothing can beat the home-canned (wet pack method) Jennings .22, right?

RR

THAT is why God invented Idaho bakers... for those .22 rifle shots you want to keep secret along with Aguila 60gr.
                          AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
                          God carries a 1911.

Comment

u actually BELIEVE that bs? the bullet blows apart the potato, raw or baked, it can do almost nothng to suppress the sound of the shot, dude. the hot gases have to be CONTAINED and cooled off, before being released into the air. if they are not, they will still be VERY loud.

Comment

u actually BELIEVE that bs? the bullet blows apart the potato, raw or baked, it can do almost nothng to suppress the sound of the shot, dude. the hot gases have to be CONTAINED and cooled off, before being released into the air. if they are not, they will still be VERY loud.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7xwnHdeC5k

yep
                              FAT I\'m not fat, I\'m Tactically Padded

Comment

NO, BUT it makes for great lore and campfire talk and every now and then someone will actually try it.
                                God carries a 1911.

Comment

Working...
                                X