1 of 4 < >

Check 'Display Signatures' in user area.

If you want to see signatures at the bottom of member's posts, check your user area and make sure this box is checked. The default mode is 'Off'.
2 of 4 < >

Strike Through Text Option now on-line

You may now use the Strike Through option in the post text editor.

There is a square blank button located at the end of the options on the right. I could not get the 'S' to show up, but the button still works.
3 of 4 < >

Reload your Avatars

If you wish to have your avatar visible again you will have to reload it to the board. The old avatars did not transfer to the new file system.

Stay tuned for more.
4 of 4 < >

Contributor Status Titles

Gentlemen, Assault Web greatly appreciated your monetary contributions to keep this forum alive and running as we make the transition to a new server and upgraded software.

I have been working to upgrade title for those members who have made a monetary contribution to the form. Unfortunately, I have been met by some resistance to comply by the forum software and I am unable to make these administrative changes.

Your donations have been duly noted and at such time the forum software is upgraded, so will your status.

The Back Room
See more
See less

They're all gone...56K death

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're all gone...56K death

The best $175 I've spent in years.

This is a CMP Mossberg Model 44 U.S. S/N 154131, which puts its' born-on date in 1944.

When I got it, it was in "never fired" condition. I know this wouldn't shoot! The firing pin protrusion was .004" too short until I fixed it.

It has a beech hardwood stock with boiled linseed oil finish, original factory blued finish, the Mossberg S-100 rear aperture sight, a medium contour target barrel, aluminum buttplate, safety indicator pegs, nylon triggerguard and steel sling swivels. the trigger breaks at just over three pounds.

SIXTY-FIVE years after it was manufactured, I put the first round down the virgin bore.

Sadly, these rifles are now out of stock at the CMP, which is a damn shame as they will shoot rings around most of the .22 L.R. rifles being sold today.

Re: They're all gone...56K death

Unloved for 65 years...sitting in a rack in some forgotten arms room on a military base once used to train our sailors for WW2 combat. The U.S. Navy ordered the Mossberg 44 U.S. rifles under two in 1943 and one in 1944.

No wear on the anodized aluminum buttplate or the nylon trigger guard...a dead give away the rifle was never used for training.

U.S. PROPERTY marked on both the barrel and receiver.

The O.E.M. Mossberg S-100 rear aperture sight with micro-adjust (1/4-minute clicks) knobs for wingage and elevation. When I received the rifle from the CMP, the sight mounting screws were not even tightened. Oddly, after tightening and cleaning the sight thoroughly the first sighter shots were almost perfectly zero'd!

Left-side view, shown sitting on the 7-round commercial magazine (available from Vic Havlin at Havlin's Sales). I still need a WW2 vintage Garand web sling for this one.

A drift-adjustable for windage front blade sight was standard on the military rifles. Mossberg supplied a sight hood, but they were so small that they obscured the sight picture and the military discarded them. The CMP recently sold off a small batch of original hoods (repros are also available), but after using one I can see why they were tossed in the trash...worthless. The long barrel makes the rifle very quiet when used with standard velocity match ammunition.

A shot of the pristine nylon trigger guard and parkerized steel magazine estucheon plate. The knurled screw is removed when using .22 Long Rifle ammunition and left in place when shooting .22 Short ammunition.

Very nice! Is that some sort of grip safety coming off the trigger guard? How heavy is the beastie?

No. It is just a nylon trigger guard extension with finger grooves' Smooth aluminum versions are also available.

The only safety is the pictured lever just behind the bolt shroud.

The weight is rather modest for a target rifle, right around 8-1/2 pounds.

Here are the basic specifications from Vic Havlin's excellent website:

action type bolt
              adj. trigger no
              stock W-Beavertail
              barrel 26" 13/16 dia.
              lengh 43"
              weight 8.5 lbs
              feed type clip
              cartridge LR only
              capacity 7
              clip type S118
              front S122
              hood S215
              rear none
              reciever S100
              apeture 44US early S196 Late No.4D
              scope mount side
              front S116
              rear S116
              began 1943
              ended 1945
              years 3 yrs

I forgot to mention that although the CMP is currently sold out of the $175 Model 44 U.S. rifles, gunshows and sites such as Gunbroker are well stocked with the civilian versions, Models 44 U.S. (a), (b), (c) and (d).

These generally are priced at a reasonable $200-$300.

Martially marked rifles may command a slight price premium, but in reality it is not much as the collectors' market' for Mossbergs has never really grown in demand. I pretty much figure the same money for both versions if the condition of the rifles are identical.

I've bought 'beaters' from the CMP for only $75 in the not-so-distant past and honestly, other than being lightly used they were 'almost' as nice as the rifle I pictured above.