Range Report - MK-12 (Sorta) Range Report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range Report - MK-12 (Sorta) Range Report

I took my new toy to the range this morning to get a good zero at 100 yards.

I had previously "boresighted" it using one of those laser boresighters that fit into a fake cartridge case.

I took the rifle to my clubs benchrest range, where there are target berms at 50, 100, and 200 yards. I first shot it at 50 yards, and the laser boresighter really proved it's worth. I was nearly dead on for windage, and maybe 9" high for elevation. After I got it hitting to POA at 50 yards, I moved to 100.

Again, windage was really close at 100 yards - just a smidge left - but I did have to make more elevation adjustments.

I will say this, though: I really dislike shooting off of a bench! I would much rather just get into a solid prone or sitting position with a tight sling. I find that to be much more comfortable. I really had issues with getting a proper cheek weld to position my eye properly behind the scope. I just find the position to be very awkward.

But anyway, I did have it shooting at 1-1/2 to 2 MOA, which I figured isn't bad for a cheap 1:9 chrome no-name barrel. After getting a good 100 yard zero, I loosened the setscrew in the center of each turret and set them to their "0" index mark.

Finally I moved to the 200 yard target, and there I did a dumb thing. I looked at Federal's ballistic tables for XM193 on a 30F day, saw what the bullet drop should be for 200 yards, and applied that to the elevation turret. I forgot, though, that my 1/4" clicks at 100 yards become 1/2" clicks at 200 yards, so I put on double the correction I should have. so after I backed half of my elevation change back out, and put on a couple clicks of left windage, I was shooting into a bit over 2 MOA at 200 yards.

I did have a couple of times when I was just getting started where the rifle failed to chamber the first round from the magazine. But eventually that went away. The only other problem that came up was that the short section for picatinney rail on the bottom front of the handguard came loose, so the bipod ws getting kind of wobbly towards the end of the session. I guess I'll have to Loctite the M-Lok bolts, but I think I'm going to replace that rail section with a shorter one anyway.
    Freedom Of Speech does not include freedom from consequences.

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.

I agree Chief351............everyone shoots from a bench at the range, but in all practicality, I have never found a bench with a sandbag or rest, out in the Wood's.........YET!!

I try to sight in, just as I would shoot in the field.............

I even sight my handguns in, offhand.
    And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

I don't know if it's a hard and fast rule at our club, but I think that they want you, at the benchrest range, to shoot off of a bench. The benches consist of concrete blocks set in a t-shape with a poured concrete tabletop. All of our ranges are self-supervised, no range master, and if a shooter were down in a sitting or prone position another newly-arrived shooter might not see him, or vise-versa, and might walk downrange to post a target while the first guy took a shot.

They used to have a clear area at far end of the shooting line where folks could shoot from positions, but recently they added a few more benches there. If you tried shooting from sitting or prone, you would be down between benches.

If no one else is there, and as long as you maintained awareness, I think it might be OK, but who's to know. I got there purposely early on a drizzly Wednesday morning, assuming I'd have the place to myself.

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief351 View Post
        I don't know if it's a hard and fast rule at our club, but I think that they want you, at the benchrest range, to shoot off of a bench. The benches consist of concrete blocks set in a t-shape with a poured concrete tabletop. All of our ranges are self-supervised, no range master, and if a shooter were down in a sitting or prone position another newly-arrived shooter might not see him, or vise-versa, and might walk downrange to post a target while the first guy took a shot.

They used to have a clear area at far end of the shooting line where folks could shoot from positions, but recently they added a few more benches there. If you tried shooting from sitting or prone, you would be down between benches.

If no one else is there, and as long as you maintained awareness, I think it might be OK, but who's to know. I got there purposely early on a drizzly Wednesday morning, assuming I'd have the place to myself.
        I have not been to my nearest Range, for a LONG time. Just for these very reasons. Policed well, and is safe.........but NO room for "improvisation".......It is the bench, or you are gone. It was not that way years ago.............

Why can't I sit, or lay prone on the ground, and shoot? I can still hear the Range Officer's commands, loud and clear on the PA!!! Crap like that, takes the fun out of shooting.
        And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

Actually, I just checked online for the latest version of the range rules. For the benchrest range, there is nothing in the rules that state that you MUST fire from a bench. I don't know why I thought this was the case - maybe something someone told me - but with the "filling up" of the range shelter with benches, leaving no clear space for prone or sitting, it seemed logical Next time I'll give it a try. I'll just have to squeeze in between two benches (But the good news is I won't have as much trouble finding all of my brass.).
          Last edited by Chief351; March 15th, 2019, 05:46.

Comment

Hey ! Lay on top of the bench or crouch behind as if cover ? Use the environment.
            "Then out spoke brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate. To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods"

Comment

Working...
            X