• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE LUNCH DATE Part IV

WHAT I HAD to work with....

THE LUNCH DATE PART IV

JEFFERSON 101- "Why not both?"

And that's both my sentence and my reply to your question about which one to do.

REASONALBE RASCAL- "There comes a time in the lives of most men when a choice must be made: whether to ignore evil and hope it goes away, or to face it head on and fight it to the end."

There is my bit of wisdom for the day; use it as you see fit. One caveat: if you embroider it and frame it and sell it at flea markets I want my cut.

NOLAND- From that moment on, he was indelibly labeled with the nickname "Lumpy."

GRIPPER- If you can read this, run!
    I'm telling you- it was like that when we found it!

PAPADOC- Oh! That wasn't supposed to happen!

KARL- "With an odd look on her face, she fell into the soup."

ROADKILL- "How have you been?"
    "Man I'm doing great. If I was doing any better they'd have to put me on suicide watch"

STRMRDR- Who farted?!?!
    Man that stinks!

OLD MAN- I'm telling you "I didn't do it!"
    AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
    God carries a 1911.
    Just another day towards 20...

Re: THE LUNCH DATE Part IV

My cell phone jerked me awake. Wow, I had managed a whole three hours sleep before the next crisis brought me back. It was the boss. He gave me an address on the waterfront and he gave me a thumbnail of what happened. There was a cop killed and low life named Valentine was almost dead from a cop’s gun and then three other cops opened a small suitcase and they all dropped dead on the spot. The locals were calling for help and because of how quickly they died it had to be something provided by outside forces which meant it might have been involved with what was going on. He told me he was waking up the science staff and having them get ready but nothing would be done until I gave the report. I thanked him for sending me out to possible certain death and crawled out of bed.

I arrived at the scene and the cops had the whole area closed down for a block around the dead cops. The fire department had just got their men suited up with self contained breathing and protective suits as I arrived. I looked at the dead men through my binoculars and the swollen faces and visible lesions made me believe the worst. I ID’s myself to the captain running the show and then he got the head fire guy. I asked him if the suits were set up to defeat VX gas? His face went white and he screamed into his collar mike for his men to stand down. I placed a call to the boss. He wasn’t happy.

Five hours later the tech team had bagged the briefcase and everything inside. Wilson, the head honcho was pulling off his gear and he waved me over. “That was a good call. I’d say 90% chance it was VX. Thank God they opened it out in the open instead of waiting to get it back to the station. It probably would have killed everyone. As it is there wasn’t enough in the case to do any more than kill everything within ten feet of it. I’ll tell you one thing though; who ever rigged that was one sick SOB.” He reached into his evidence box and handed me a piece of paper placed in a sealed envelope. I read the page. “If you can read this, run!” . Wilson continued, “that letter was set up to that it would only be visible if the case was forced. The rest of the case contained about half a million cash and a couple of packets of papers in some language I’ve never seen. We’ll get them back to the lab and make sure they are safe and then pass them on to Amanda to see what she can come up with.” I thanked him for the work and since it was now way past my breakfast time I decide to get something to eat before I got to the office.

I pulled up in the block of my favorite breakfast joint. There were three cops cars parked in the street and they didn’t look like they had taken their time doing it. I got to the front window and looked in. The interior looked like a small tornado had mixed it up. I walked in and showed my ID to the cop on the door. He mumbled something about “I think they belong to you.” I looked to the rear and saw Reb… er Bob and LC talking to the other cops inside. I walked over and asked “what the hell happened?” LC looked at me and said “I'm telling you- it was like that when we found it!” I asked the officer in charge about the incident and he said it was all over with by the time they got there but the cook was on the way to the hospital because someone threw him over the counter and he landed on the grill and got burned.” Reb spoke up, “Oh! That wasn't supposed to happen, but he shouldn’t have surprised me like he did. I did apologize.” The cop continued, “Ordinarily these clowns would be on the way to jail right now but they keep spouting things about national security and such and in light of the crap that happened at the harbor I was getting ready to try to get more when you came in. “ The cop had seen me down at the harbor so he knew I was in play. “Believe it or not officer they are right. Write up your report and you can have them later but right now they are needed elsewhere.” Reb and LC waved bye to the cop and then a huge fart emanated from one of them. The cop roared “Who farted?!?! Man that stinks! I looked at him and said “I'm telling you "I didn't do it!" The other two just laughed until they hurt as they walked out of the building.

I looked at the two men who were probably two of the most dangerous people on the planet and they were giggling like little kids at the huge stink bomb one of them let rip. While I didn’t really outrank them at the moment neither one was going to raise a fuss about being directed. “Both of you will come into work with me.” I told them. I’ll have Lumpy make arrangements to get your vehicles into the shop. Reb asked, “Why do you call the guy Lumpy” I went on to explain that he was one of the folks from the animal pens and a while back he had brought back some food from a local chicken joint with a bunch of things on the side. He opens the mashed potatoes and he goes berserk. He threw food and half his desk contents across the room before he was done… all because the mashed potatoes were too lumpy. From that moment on, he was indelibly labeled with the nickname "Lumpy."

We all went straight to the boss’ office after I told Lumpy where to find the other vehicles we needed retrieved. We got inside and all took a seat as the boss finished a phone call. He looked at us and said” It has been confirmed, VX gas in the case and it came from the Formor Chemical contract batch. Since that crap is tracked more closely than plutonium I need you to run over to the factory in Utah and see how some of it came up missing even though there was none reported missing out of any shipment. Also, it look like the crook Valentine is starting to come around and he needs to be seriously talked to. The two killers started crabbing about not wanting to go to middle of nowhere Utah to chase a ghost of a lead, I asked “OK, who is gonna go to Utah and who is gonna interview Valentine.?” He responded, “You.” I asked , “Well which one am I doing? He smiled "Why not both? And that's both my sentence and my reply to your question about which one to do. I have plans for the twins here and besides after the last two days I have my doubts about letting them lose around dangerous chemical plants or people in hospitals. No, I have some plans for them that might be more in line for the special skills.” LC sat there and when the conversation stalled he said in a deep stage voice "There comes a time in the lives of most men when a choice must be made: whether to ignore evil and hope it goes away, or to face it head on and fight it to the end. “He then broke into a big smile that would scare the crap out of any rational human being and followed with “There is my bit of wisdom for the day; use it as you see fit. One caveat: if you embroider it and frame it and sell it at flea markets I want my cut.” REB looked at LC and mumbled "Your wisdom stinks as bad as your farts." Then they both started to laugh. The boss gave him a dirty look and said “OK smarty, enough of that. Head over to Amanda Gene’s office. She has something on the documents.

We all walked in and she was having her lunch at her desk while working. She saw LC and her face flushed a little and she asked “LC, How have you been?"
    "Man I'm doing great. If I was doing any better they'd have to put me on suicide watch" He looked hard at the girl and you could tell there were still some sparks going on between them. She had her desk covered with documents that had been cleaned by our lab team so they were safe to handle. They were still in the envelopes. She started to tell us about the writing, that they were in Ukranian and were in a cryptic rough code she would work on breaking as she started taking them out of the plastic envelopes. She opened the first one and was having trouble getting it out so she brought it close to her face and blew into the envelope to get it open further. I tried to stop her but I was too late. She started to say something about the funny smell but she stopped mid-sentence and With an odd look on her face, she fell into the soup.
    AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
    God carries a 1911.
    Just another day towards 20...

Comment

Working...
    X