New TVs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TVs

I'm looking to pick up a new TV. So I stopped by Best Buy again on my way home and got to meandering around. First I got overwhelmed by the selection, then became confused on what was what, and finally left. Decided it better to do some research before I make a purchase.

The TV I have now is a 720p Samsung. At there store there is 1080p, 4k Ultra, Smart TVs, Amazon Fire Edition TVs, TVs with Roku, TVs with HDR, OLED TVs, LED TVs, Curved TVs ...

See my confusion?

I sort of narrowed in on a decent Toshiba 43" LED 1080p Smart TV, but it is an Amazon Fire Edition. I have no idea what that means. I want something I can bring home and connect the HDMI line from the Xfinity box into the back of the TV and sit down and watch my usual line-up of television that is included with our cable subscription. Being a "Fire Edition," am I going to encounter compatibility issues with my regular cable service, and instead get stuck with only an option of "apps" to use like Netflix, Hulu, and Prime Video, or is this something I can easily switch back and forth between?

Nothing is ever easy anymore.
    Media vita in morte sumus

I found reading any "reviews" you can find, helps out a LOT!!! You just need to be able to "read between the lines" on them though. Sometimes, I think Folks are posting a review......on an ENTIRELY different product!! It does not even come close to a match, to what I am looking for....????

But I have always had great experiences, with Samsung products...........good luck with your decision Wood. WHO says, we do not live in great times!!!!! I remember the day, where all these different options, did not exist!!!!
    And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

From what I understand, to watch "regular TV" on a Fire Edition TV you have to download the Xfinity "app." And to me that means I'd then be having to rely on WiFi (which sucks in the basement).

Add to my confusion, the Fire Edition TVs come with an Alexa Voice Remote. But the Xfinity remote is a talk into one as well. So which one would I rely on for daily operation of channel flipping?

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Devil View Post

Add to my confusion, the Fire Edition TVs come with an Alexa Voice Remote. But the Xfinity remote is a talk into one as well. So which one would I rely on for daily operation of channel flipping?
        Your Thumb.

Comment

From what I understand, to watch "regular TV" on a Fire Edition TV you have to download the Xfinity "app." And to me that means I'd then be having to rely on WiFi (which sucks in the basement).

Damn!!! I am SO happy I lead a more "Luddite" type of lifestyle............TRY it sometime Wood, you just may like it! I pray it will help me live longer.

Sorry Wood, but you are now speaking a foreign language to me...........

I grew up in the time, where you had to get up and TURN a knob.......to get a different channel! ONE of THREE!! It was not too hard!! Lol!!!
          And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

Originally posted by LYCAN View Post

Your Thumb.
            It can't be as simple as that. With today's modern tech, you almost need a college degree to figure it all out.

I guess like Led, I'm more comfortable with the getting-up-to-change-the-channel days.

Comment

cheap 1080p basic tv is all you need to watch cable: $169.99
              I have the 40 inch of this model but for $10 more you can get a 43. The only downside is the audio is not as good as say a Samsung but its good enough.
              https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-4...BV-F/698772381
              VERITAS VINCIT
              A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

It can't be as simple as that. With today's modern tech, you almost need a college degree to figure it all out.

I guess like Led, I'm more comfortable with the getting-up-to-change-the-channel days.
                NO!!! it is NOT that simple!!! I have "remotes" on my table yet.........that I am not even sure I need them yet!!! Lol!!! But I am pretty sure I have narrowed it all down.........

They make all this stuff SO confusing!!! I do not need it!

Comment

WE tested several,
                  pretty much tried everything on the wall at Wallyworld.
                  Places like BB are about 100 miles away.
                  tried Toshiba, Samsung, a few others Wallyworld policy about buy try and return if you don't like worked out great.
                  after everything said and done...
                  wound up with an LG.
                  Color was better along with everything else.

A couple years later still great.
                  AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
                  God carries a 1911.
                  Just another day towards 20...

Comment

Working...
                  X