X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Load?

Or Maybe He Got Confused And Put A .357 in a .38
    Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. - Samuel Johnson

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Comment

HHMMMMMMM...
      I would say it was a detonation vs an overload.
      Detonation is caused by not having enough "stuff" as in powder and/or filler in the case to keep it from exploding instead of fast burning.

More guns blow from underload detonations than overloads according to my GS.Overloads bugle things, underloads blow them up.
      AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
      God carries a 1911.
      Just another day towards 20...

Comment

He seemed relatively unfazed about it, and was not injured. Was quite a flash (can't exactly call it a "muzzle flash" since it didn't' happen at the muzzle).

flashguy
        When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Comment

Could it be a barrel obstruction - as cylinder was blown out + frame thread to barrel failure?
          [.357 won't fit a .38Spl except with a mallet]
          Dan Wesson + a Canadian shooter (?)
          What could possibly go wrong.....
          There is no Spring without Winter, without Mistakes there is no Learning. There is no Life without Death, without Doubts there is no Faith. There is no Peace without War, without Fear there is no Courage. For without Mistakes, Doubts and Fears there are no pathways to Wisdom.
          Ron Owen.

Comment

The comments under the video say it was a range rental 500 S&W and the Hornady load was too hot. I'm thinking it was a range reload and they screwed up.
            There was not near enough recoil for a 500 so I'm betting on the detonation of too light a load.

Comment

Originally posted by LAWCOP View Post
              HHMMMMMMM...
              I would say it was a detonation vs an overload.
              Detonation is caused by not having enough "stuff" as in powder and/or filler in the case to keep it from exploding instead of fast burning.

More guns blow from underload detonations than overloads according to my GS.Overloads bugle things, underloads blow them up.
              Both the NRA Tech Staff and the prestigious HP White labs investigated "detonation" of light load ammo and no matter what they did they were unable to induce an detonation in a cartridge under strict laboratory controlled conditions.

HP White especially did some extreme experiments attempting to get a cartridge to detonate including putting a case in a false chamber, laying powder in a flat layer in a case and using a hole in the chamber and case to force it to burn backward.
              This is what some people claimed, that the light power charge would settle into a thin layer, the primer sparks would pass over the powder and ignite it at the front, causing it to burn backward toward the case head and somehow this would cause detonation.

Both HP White and the NRA Tech Staff came to the conclusion that this phenomenon is caused by inadvertently over-loaded ammo with double or more charges.
              If HP White can't get a load, light or not to detonate, it ain't happening.

Comment

If it was a range rental it's possible it was worn out and the cylinder didn't line up with the barrel. I wouldn't want to be the one that shot a .22 in that condition, much less one of the larger handgun calibers. That kid is lucky he didn't get some serious scars.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bunny View Post
                  Could it be a barrel obstruction - as cylinder was blown out + frame thread to barrel failure?
                  Maybe a squib load that lodged a bullet in or just past the forcing cone. Then the subsequent round split the end of the barrel and frame enough to release the barrel. The flash may have been from the gases being blocked from exiting through the barrel and coming out the cylinder gap, at least before the barrel exited. I think with overloads, the cylinder comes apart.

Comment

Yeah I know. I made that comment "tongue in cheek". Guess I should have put a winking smilie with it.

Comment

YUP!!!!! I was shooting my .44 magnum once. I KNEW I had a bad round go off. A "squib".

So I stopped shooting, and tapped a wooden rod through the barrel. A nice jacketed slug dropped out from the throat of the barrel. If I had touched another one off right behind it??? OUCH!!!!

And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

Originally posted by Reb View Post

Yeah I know. I made that comment "tongue in cheek". Guess I should have put a winking smilie with it.
                        SPEAKING OF WHICH!!!!!!!

When are we going to get the "full Monty" of Smilies or "emoticons" here??? About a hundred "load up".........but we only have TRUE access, to about 6 of them??
                        And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

^^^^^ I don't know. I keep a file for the "face palm" Smilie so I have it available at my various fora.

flashguy
                          When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Comment

Late word is that this was caused by a barrel obstruction.

Comment

From the comments section:

TheMayorOfTittyCity1 day

This is SUPPOSED to happen! When a gun feels threatened it will often shed its barrel as a distraction to predators and escape unnoticed.

lmao

Comment

Working...
                              X